05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
how do you deal with them if you get them? do you pull them out? do you just release the ingrown from being stuck under the skin?

I think I've been shaving over ingrowns that have burrowed back into my skin without dealing with them. I'm going to guess that my ingrowns have mostly come about when I shaved with a multi-blade razor a few weeks ago before a wedding and have stuck around ever since.

40 5,830
 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
A bit of poking and some tweezers - or the Better Half, a clean needle and some tweezers if it's in deep. Mine tends to get infected, and pulling the whole shebang out helps release the pressure and goo...

Luckily I had very, very few since I switched to a DE razor - still get one every now an then though.

3 3,577
 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
+1 What WW said.

A true ingrown will take awhile to grow out or to get the point where something can be done about it. In the meantime it's just a PITA.

32 6,309
 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
I guess I'll have to scan my neck with a pair of tweezers before my next shave to try and free the noticeable ingrowns. should I do it just before shaving, a few days before shaving or does it not really matter?

40 5,830
 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I know when ever I have an ingrown hair my barber pulls them out with tweezers so I'm assuming thats what your supposed to do.

45 3,955
 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 01:18 PM)tgutc Wrote: I know when ever I have an ingrown hair my barber pulls them out with tweezers so I'm assuming thats what your supposed to do.

I'll try doing that when my facial hair grows a little longer so I'm not digging into my skin more than what's needed.

40 5,830
 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 12:49 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I guess I'll have to scan my neck with a pair of tweezers before my next shave to try and free the noticeable ingrowns. should I do it just before shaving, a few days before shaving or does it not really matter?

I haven't had an ingrown in many years; I stopped doing what was causing them. But when I was getting them I just ignored them as far as shaving went; I shaved as though they didn't exist. After they were long enough to poke through the skin, in a week or so, then I'd do the deed and get it at the next shave.

FWIW, for me shaving against the grain for an ultra close cartridge shave did it. I can't remember the last time I had one (well, 40 years ago give or take).

32 6,309
 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
Whatever it takes, usually a needle and tweezers. Got to get them out. If not, they'll be there for a very long time. For me, they seem to heal almost immediately once there out.

0 145
 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
I don't get them too often any more with DE shaving but I did get too aggressive for a while and got one or two. I always free it from the skin with the intention of shaving over it the next day. invariably, I end up plucking it as an example to all the other whiskers so they can see what fate awaits them if they get out of line.

0 120
 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 03:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 12:49 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I guess I'll have to scan my neck with a pair of tweezers before my next shave to try and free the noticeable ingrowns. should I do it just before shaving, a few days before shaving or does it not really matter?

I haven't had an ingrown in many years; I stopped doing what was causing them. But when I was getting them I just ignored them as far as shaving went; I shaved as though they didn't exist. After they were long enough to poke through the skin, in a week or so, then I'd do the deed and get it at the next shave.

FWIW, for me shaving against the grain for an ultra close cartridge shave did it. I can't remember the last time I had one (well, 40 years ago give or take).

It's probably still my technique and not studying my hair growth on my neck enough. I'll need to work on that.

(05-08-2012, 03:39 PM)GearHead_1 Wrote: Whatever it takes, usually a needle and tweezers. Got to get them out. If not, they'll be there for a very long time. For me, they seem to heal almost immediately once there out.

I only shave about once a week or once every two weeks, so once they're pulled, my face will have a few days to heal. I might try plucking them out tomorrow.

(05-08-2012, 03:41 PM)Bittermormon Wrote: I don't get them too often any more with DE shaving but I did get too aggressive for a while and got one or two. I always free it from the skin with the intention of shaving over it the next day. invariably, I end up plucking it as an example to all the other whiskers so they can see what fate awaits them if they get out of line.

Your last sentence there made me have a verbal LOL moment!!!

40 5,830
 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
An OPEN COMB razor has been my answer for PREVENTING ingrown hairs.

I have sensitive skin, a coarse beard and omni directional growth.

In the past, ingrown hairs on my neck became sebaceous cysts requiring surgery to remove. Giving up the carts was the first step, but only got me half way there. I've found OPEN COMB razors in contrast to the safety bar DE (or closed comb) encourage the hair to stand up, rather than laying against the skin and becoming ingrown. Face lathering IMO is also a good prep as it stimulates the skin, has a somewhat exfoliating effect and also encourages the hair to stand up. Face mapping will also assist, try to work out the direction of your growth (it might be all over the place as is mine) and you may think you are doing a WTG when actually performing XTG or ATG.

There are some creams on the market to assist with ingrown hairs, but I haven't needed to try them since switching to OC.

Prevention is better than cure IMO!

[attachment=1647] [attachment=1648]

91 17,851
 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 08:30 PM)ben74 Wrote: An OPEN COMB razor has been my answer for PREVENTING ingrown hairs.

I have sensitive skin, a coarse beard and omni directional growth.

In the past, ingrown hairs on my neck became sebaceous cysts requiring surgery to remove. Giving up the carts was the first step, but only got me half way there. I've found OPEN COMB razors in contrast to the safety bar DE (or closed comb) encourage the hair to stand up, rather than laying against the skin and becoming ingrown. Face lathering IMO is also a good prep as it stimulates the skin, has a somewhat exfoliating effect and also encourages the hair to stand up. Face mapping will also assist, try to work out the direction of your growth (it might be all over the place as is mine) and you may think you are doing a WTG when actually performing XTG or ATG.

There are some creams on the market to assist with ingrown hairs, but I haven't needed to try them since switching to OC.

Prevention is better than cure IMO!

what OC works well for you? the only DE razors I currently have are the tech and an EJ DE89.

40 5,830
 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Try and free them from under the skin with a sterile needle. I don't think plucking them completely is good. I usually give it another day to grow outside the skin before I shave it otherwise it seems to go back in.

A mild scrub or I think Mantic showed it in a video a paste of aspirin brushed on the area with a soft toothbrush can also help free the hair from under the skin. Being aggressive doesn't do it any good, so take it easy.

These expensive ingrown hair solutions are just alcohol and salicylic acid. You can buy a 2% salicylic acid acne cream (something like Clean & Clear) which is much cheaper and pretty much the same thing.

3 84
 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
I just perform minor surgery, or my wife does it for me. She has a pair of tweezers that have pretty sharp tips. We use the tips to break the skin, then grab hold and pluck that misbehaving punk hair outta there. Follow up with a little witch hazel or alcohol based AS for antiseptic and it's all done & over right away.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I guess I'm lucky. Either I've never had a serious enough ingrown hair to notice or my particular method (including face lathering and knowing my hair growth) prohibits it from happening. I know I've never had to perform minor surgery to free a whisker!

Now I've done it. I'll have a face full of ingrowns tomorrow. Confused

Good luck, Gents!

35 2,703
 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 11:33 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I guess I'm lucky. Either I've never had a serious enough ingrown hair to notice or my particular method (including face lathering and knowing my hair growth) prohibits it from happening. I know I've never had to perform minor surgery to free a whisker!

Now I've done it. I'll have a face full of ingrowns tomorrow. Confused

Good luck, Gents!

Tex, if you need minor surgery tomorrow I'll be glad to help you out. We won't even need to go through your insurance company. I'll give you a great deal! Wink

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 11:24 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I just perform minor surgery, or my wife does it for me. She has a pair of tweezers that have pretty sharp tips. We use the tips to break the skin, then grab hold and pluck that misbehaving punk hair outta there. Follow up with a little witch hazel or alcohol based AS for antiseptic and it's all done & over right away.

I yanked a few out last night, one was a good inch long or so that's had to of been growing for at least 3+ weeks now, since I was only on maybe a 4-5 day growth last night.

anyhow, I think the problem spots where I've been getting ingrowns is because I've been shaving ATG in those particular areas since I wasn't paying as close of attention as I should have.

40 5,830
 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 08:21 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 11:24 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I just perform minor surgery, or my wife does it for me. She has a pair of tweezers that have pretty sharp tips. We use the tips to break the skin, then grab hold and pluck that misbehaving punk hair outta there. Follow up with a little witch hazel or alcohol based AS for antiseptic and it's all done & over right away.

I yanked a few out last night, one was a good inch long or so that's had to of been growing for at least 3+ weeks now, since I was only on maybe a 4-5 day growth last night.

anyhow, I think the problem spots where I've been getting ingrowns is because I've been shaving ATG in those particular areas since I wasn't paying as close of attention as I should have.

Too aggressive on the ATG pass can definitely cut the hair lower than skin surface & thus lead to a higher chance of an ingrown occurring. Maybe try stretching your skin more without going ATG, or go ATG while keeping your skin a little looser.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 08:33 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 08:21 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

Too aggressive on the ATG pass can definitely cut the hair lower than skin surface & thus lead to a higher chance of an ingrown occurring. Maybe try stretching your skin more without going ATG, or go ATG while keeping your skin a little looser.

I never actually meant to go ATG, I was just lazy about keeping a close eye on how my hair grows on my neck.

40 5,830
 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
Wow, 1 inch long, that's something. I would still not pluck it out completely, though I know the temptation is there. I'd just free it from under the skin, and clip it with small scissors above the skin then treat the area with something like salicylic acid, alcohol, witch hazel, Neosporin, etc. I'd let it grow on its own outside the skin for another day or two before carefully shaving that area.

I found that if I pluck ingrowns they tend to grow back under the skin. I stay away from ATG/BBS, it's just really not worth it because in a couple of hours it's not BBS anyway. I'd rather get a comfortable shave and avoid problems. Plus it lets me shave almost every day, otherwise where's the fun in waiting 2-3 days to shave again in order to recover and who's going to finish the stockpile of creams/soap?

3 84