04-08-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
Based on the recommendations from the fine gentlemen of this forum, I've narrowed the choice for my next brush to the products made by Thater and Shavemac. I'm specifically looking at the Thater 4125/2 Chubby 26mm in fan silvertip or a custom brush from Shavemac in 26mm D-01 silvertip with a fan shape. Would anyone in a position to do so be so kind as to offer some opinions as to which is softer and/or better suited to face lathering?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

5 407
 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
They are both soft, Shavemac needs a while to break in though. I prefer Thater because I don't like overstuffed brushes and Shavemac to me is like lathering with a stiff stick Wink

88 4,233
 04-08-2014, 10:14 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the D01 3 band. The Thater is a little softer, but the Shavemac is still very soft and offers the perfect amount of backbone mostly due to the density, but also the hair itself. The Thater will have less backbone, especially in a fan shape if you are getting the 3 band Silvertip. However, with the Thater, you are practically guaranteed zero scritch with either their 2 or 3 band... So IMO its a little safer bet if you're unsure, whereas I have read some shavers finding an ever slight scritch with the D01 (I did not).

I just love the softness/backbone combination that the D01 offers. Honestly, the path you're on is a good one and either direction will yield an excellent brush. Of course the right answer is: Get Both Biggrin!

34 1,628
 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
I have a Custom Le Tuft with the Shavemac fan silvertip D01 26mm knot 48mm loft, I like it so much that in the future I aim to have another custom brush made using the same knot size and loft size.

[Image: cbc1740c-6051-4da2-b121-71ff8e894861_zps...g~original]

11 1,940
 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 10:14 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Personally, I'm a huge fan of the D01 3 band. The Thater is a little softer, but the Shavemac is still very soft and offers the perfect amount of backbone mostly due to the density, but also the hair itself. The Thater will have less backbone, especially in a fan shape if you are getting the 3 band Silvertip. However, with the Thater, you are practically guaranteed zero scritch with either their 2 or 3 band... So IMO its a little safer bet if you're unsure, whereas I have read some shavers finding an ever slight scritch with the D01 (I did not).

I just love the softness/backbone combination that the D01 offers. Honestly, the path you're on is a good one and either direction will yield an excellent brush. Of course the right answer is: Get Both Biggrin!

I may go with the Thater, then. My skin has become so sensitive that I'm shaving with unscented soap for the next 2 weeks as a control and am going to test every product in my collection one-at-a-time until I know exactly what I can tolerate. To put it into perspective, while I like the Simpsons Duke in Best that I have, the scritch irritates my skin. It's bad. I can't really swing both right now, so I'll probably go with the Thater and then perhaps try a Shavemac once I've worked out exactly what my skin can take. Thanks so much!

(04-08-2014, 10:57 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have a Custom Le Tuft with the Shavemac fan silvertip D01 26mm knot 48mm loft, I like it so much that in the future I aim to have another custom brush made using the same knot size and loft size.

I'm unfamiliar with Le Tuft. Is it a manufacturer or a model? Both?

5 407
 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
User Info
I would pick the Shavemac. The key reason would be the density. I the Thaters on the border for me. D01 feels fantastic on the face, you really feel a nice scrub with no scritch, wall of badger feeling.

Both are great though, you'll be happy with either as the workmanship is fantastic.

7 1,182
 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 11:28 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I would pick the Shavemac. The key reason would be the density. I the Thaters on the border for me. D01 feels fantastic on the face, you really feel a nice scrub with no scritch, wall of badger feeling.

Both are great though, you'll be happy with either as the workmanship is fantastic.

Well now you've just made it difficult again! Biggrin

5 407
 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 11:23 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 10:14 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Personally, I'm a huge fan of the D01 3 band. The Thater is a little softer, but the Shavemac is still very soft and offers the perfect amount of backbone mostly due to the density, but also the hair itself. The Thater will have less backbone, especially in a fan shape if you are getting the 3 band Silvertip. However, with the Thater, you are practically guaranteed zero scritch with either their 2 or 3 band... So IMO its a little safer bet if you're unsure, whereas I have read some shavers finding an ever slight scritch with the D01 (I did not).

I may go with the Thater, then. My skin has become so sensitive that I'm shaving with unscented soap for the next 2 weeks as a control and am going to test every product in my collection one-at-a-time until I know exactly what I can tolerate. To put it into perspective, while I like the Simpsons Duke in Best that I have, the scritch irritates my skin. It's bad. I can't really swing both right now, so I'll probably go with the Thater and then perhaps try a Shavemac once I've worked out exactly what my skin can take. Thanks so much!

(04-08-2014, 10:57 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have a Custom Le Tuft with the Shavemac fan silvertip D01 26mm knot 48mm loft, I like it so much that in the future I aim to have another custom brush made using the same knot size and loft size.

I'm unfamiliar with Le Tuft. Is it a manufacturer or a model? Both?

Bill Jack of Le Tuft brushes is a one man operation who makes extremely high end shaving brushes you can choose the material the knot or the material, but I'm sure Bill is now using Shavemac knots exclusively, just let me know If you want his contact details.

11 1,940
 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
Can't you just go with the shavemac silvertip (not the D01) and that solves the problem? They seem to be universally reviewed as extremely soft. Set at a lower loft and it should be perfect.

I have a D01 2 band that had some scritch but now is feather soft after running it over some sandpaper gently. I love how dense itis and it has very little scritch at all.

I am going to try the D01 Silvertip next to see how it compares.

32 344
 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The Shavemac non-D01 Silvertip is an excellent suggestion as well and another sure bet. I have one that measures 24 x 52 (so it's really 25.3 x 52) in a blue 167 handle and it is incredibly soft and a pleasure to use. It's not as dense as others, but that's not necessarily a bad thing especially if catering to sensitive skin. It still performs great, lathers soaps and creams just fine, and while it definitely doesn't have the backbone of the D01, I wouldn't consider it floppy. My original intention when I ordered it was to not go too low with the loft, but if I would buy that knot again, I'd probably go with a 1:2 ratio. I think you can also ask for a little denser knot, which I did not do when I ordered.

34 1,628
 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 11:39 AM)fbones24 Wrote: Can't you just go with the shavemac silvertip (not the D01) and that solves the problem? They seem to be universally reviewed as extremely soft. Set at a lower loft and it should be perfect.

I have a D01 2 band that had some scritch but now is feather soft after running it over some sandpaper gently. I love how dense itis and it has very little scritch at all.

I am going to try the D01 Silvertip next to see how it compares.

I'm considering it, but am trying to determine whether the Thater hair is softer. I'd really like to go with the softest possible hair with at least some modicum of backbone.

(04-08-2014, 12:04 PM)Giorgio Wrote: The Shavemac non-D01 Silvertip is an excellent suggestion as well and another sure bet. I have one that measures 24 x 52 (so it's really 25.3 x 52) in a blue 167 handle and it is incredibly soft and a pleasure to use. It's not as dense as others, but that's not necessarily a bad thing especially if catering to sensitive skin. It still performs great, lathers soaps and creams just fine, and while it definitely doesn't have the backbone of the D01, I wouldn't consider it floppy. My original intention when I ordered it was to not go too low with the loft, but if I would buy that knot again, I'd probably go with a 1:2 ratio. I think you can also ask for a little denser knot, which I did not do when I ordered.

I'll take that into consideration! Thank you!

5 407
 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Softness is Thäter. However, when choosing a fan I would stick with size 1 (24mm). The fan will have quite some face coverage, when choosing a bulb I would size one up, ie 26mm.
A Thäter 4125 will be denser than a regular shavemac Silvertip. The DO1 will be the densest of the bunch and not feel as soft on the face.
Check out different vendors as the loft on the fans may vary. A sweet spot for me is 24/48-50mm on a fan.

37 1,862
 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 03:08 PM)German Wrote: Softness is Thäter. However, when choosing a fan I would stick with size 1 (24mm). The fan will have quite some face coverage, when choosing a bulb I would size one up, ie 26mm.
A Thäter 4125 will be denser than a regular shavemac Silvertip. The DO1 will be the densest of the bunch and not feel as soft on the face.
Check out different vendors as the loft on the fans may vary. A sweet spot for me is 24/48-50mm on a fan.

I'm a fan of bigger brushes, which is why I was thinking about the wider diameter. Why would you stick with the 24mm?

Thank you!

5 407
 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
User Info
Interesting thread. Love my Thater 4125/2 two band but have a Shavemac DO-1 Silvertip on the way (shipped today). I can attest the Thater feels very soft against the face. I do expect the Shavemac to be much denser. Whether it will be as soft is yet to be determined. Variety is good and another German brush fits nicely in my den.

"German" is certainly the expert but I do agree to go with a size 1 if getting a fan.

6 358
 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
This is all YMMV in the end. My sweet spot in knot size is typically around 24-26mm. A fan will splay more than a bulb and 3 band has less backbone than 2 Band. Hence, in my case I go for 24mm fans and 26mm bulbs in 3 Band.
If you - in general - prefer larger knot sizes, then there is no reason not to go larger than 24mm in a Thäter fan.
(04-08-2014, 03:10 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I'm a fan of bigger brushes, which is why I was thinking about the wider diameter. Why would you stick with the 24mm?

Thank you!

37 1,862
 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM
User Info
I would say a few things.

1) I find Thater to be superior to Shavemac.

2) IMHO German brushes should be bulb and British should be fan. As far as I know Thater doesn't even sell their fans outside of the US market. I like to buy to a maker's strength.

3) If you're wanting a fan, then i would recommend a Simpson Persian Jar in fan. A stellar fan brush.

4) Thater 2 bands are the softest brushes I have ever used. Period. They are wondrous face lathers. The 3 band Persian Jar in Super is also very soft but not AS soft..... Also a bit more floppy. That might be good or bad depending on your tastes. I enjoy a lightly floppy brush for softer soaps. For rock hard milled soaps the Thater performs better (or more accurately requires less work)

3 254
 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM
User Info
Both are awesome.
The Thäter will feel more luxurious soft, the Shavemac more accomplished and customised.

24 5,967
 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM
User Info
I have both the H L Thater 4125/2 and few sHavemacs including both 2 & 3band D01 knots.

Again it all comes down too a personnel choice as both manufactures offer a great choice.

However I feel the H L Thater has beautiful soft white tips, moderate backbone works great with creams............. but the winner for me is sHavemac.

As for the sHavemac these really are top notch especially the D01 knots either 2 band or three. These work well with either cream or soaps, I note from your comments you are a face lather.

For what it's worth I would go with a two (2) band with a 23-26mm knot and a loft of between 48-52mm loft. Beautiful soft white snowy tips, great backbone & flow through, very densely packed. Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 04-09-2014, 02:30 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 11:37 PM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: I have both the H L Thater 4125/2 and few sHavemacs including both 2 & 3band D01 knots.

Again it all comes down too a personnel choice as both manufactures offer a great choice.

However I feel the H L Thater has beautiful soft white tips, moderate backbone works great with creams............. but the winner for me is sHavemac.

As for the sHavemac these really are top notch especially the D01 knots either 2 band or three. These work well with either cream or soaps, I note from your comments you are a face lather.

For what it's worth I would go with a two (2) band with a 23-26mm knot and a loft of between 48-52mm loft. Beautiful soft white snowy tips, great backbone & flow through, very densely packed. Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a WSP Prince in 2-band that's pretty stiff and has a ton of backbone. If you have any experience with that particular brush, how would you say they compare?

5 407
 04-09-2014, 03:39 AM
User Info
(04-09-2014, 02:30 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 11:37 PM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: I have both the H L Thater 4125/2 and few sHavemacs including both 2 & 3band D01 knots.

Charles U.K

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a WSP Prince in 2-band that's pretty stiff and has a ton of backbone. If you have any experience with that particular brush, how would you say they compare?

No sorry can't help with this one: WSP Prince in 2-band, I'm sure their are other members who own one may contribute.

Charles U.k

0 2,428