04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
User Info
A little over 2 weeks ago I bought a 2013 R41 from a friend, and have shaved with it 12 out of the last 14 days. I wanted to compare it to my ATT Atlas H2 and R2.

I do a pretty good face prep, lots of hot water and a preshave with cucumber glycerine soap. I've been using a Personna Med Prep with the R41, and spent the first 2 days shaving shallow angle and the last 10 steep angle. I can not deny the ease and efficiency of the steep angle approach, it surprised me. I enjoy the shave as much as I do the ATT R2 and H2.

With 2-3 passes + a little buffing I can get mostly BBS with all three. The difference seems to be in the amount of time the stubble stays away. The R2 shave lasts 12+ hours, I need more shaves to discern between the R41 and the ATT H2. Sometimes one or the other lasts longer, which leads me to believe I need to improve or stabilize my hand / eye skills before I can tell the difference between the two. I shave around 7am and on a good day I go to sleep around 10 or so and I feel the barest stubble only in certain spots, other spots are smooth. By the next morning I can usually skip the wtg pass with either H2 or R41 because the stubble is short and barely visible.

Have to admit, the R41 in steep angle approach is a bit milder than the H2. That surprised me!

At first I was thinking of getting an R41 just for testing purposes and then sell it, but this one is a keeper for me.

18 194
 04-09-2014, 01:28 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, they are efficient shavers alright. I sure don't like the handle on them though.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-09-2014, 01:35 AM
User Info
I like my R41 really well. I am still trying to get used to my ATT R2. I've shaved with the R2 3 times and keep getting irritation on my lower neck. 'm sure it's me getting the angle right but the R41 was never that way. It seemed more flexible when it comes to getting the angle right.

6 75
 04-09-2014, 04:05 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I just shaved with one yesterday and absolutely loved it! First time using it.

9 429
 04-09-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
The R41 2013' is right up there with the best of them. A good comparison would be with the ATT H1. Both are excellent shavers. Congratulations in finding a great razor.

122 13,216
 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
(04-09-2014, 01:28 AM)BobH Wrote: Yea, they are efficient shavers alright. I sure don't like the handle on them though.

I hear ya Bob - I use an Ikon Bulldog handle on mine. Nice match! What handle do you use on yours?

(04-09-2014, 01:35 AM)Bucknut315 Wrote: I like my R41 really well. I am still trying to get used to my ATT R2. I've shaved with the R2 3 times and keep getting irritation on my lower neck. 'm sure it's me getting the angle right but the R41 was never that way. It seemed more flexible when it comes to getting the angle right.

The R2 shaves best with a very shallow angle. I find with my neck it can be difficult to keep the angle steady, and can get a slight irritation when that happens. It happens with the R41 for me too... even using the steep angle sometimes I carelessly back off a bit on the angle on my neck, and get a bit hot there... I figure I need another 6 months to get my chops down where it is second nature...

(04-09-2014, 04:05 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: I just shaved with one yesterday and absolutely loved it! First time using it.

Welcome to the R41 ranks Jim!!! They sure shave great! Do you use a steep or shallow angle???

If you like the R41, we have to get you into a nice ATT Atlas or Kronos H2Angel

(04-09-2014, 05:14 AM)slantman Wrote: The R41 2013' is right up there with the best of them. A good comparison would be with the ATT H1. Both are excellent shavers. Congratulations in finding a great razor.

Thanks slantman - yes, it is amazingly good. Don't have an H1 but the R41 compares favorably to an ATT H2. I feel like I'm in DE heaven!!! It sure is amazing the variety of quality tools available. A tool for every taste it seems! Life is good...

18 194
 04-10-2014, 02:32 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-09-2014, 07:00 PM)davidsilva Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 01:28 AM)BobH Wrote: Yea, they are efficient shavers alright. I sure don't like the handle on them though.

I hear ya Bob - I use an Ikon Bulldog handle on mine. Nice match! What handle do you use on yours?

Funny you should mention the Ikon Bulldog handle because that is what I am considering replacing the original handle with. Your comment settles it for me, I will get one. Thanks.

Bob

0 1,694