04-09-2014, 01:00 AM
User Info
I feel like ranting. Living in the Northern California Silicon Valley area brings a wide diversity of people here.

Some who have barely driven a car, or have little respect for the personal space of others. I have to go to the worst costco in the country. Think about the one by where you live on the Saturday before Christmas, mine is like that on a typical weekday evening.

The most recent incident involved a man ramming his cart into my girlfriends rear, I asked (loudly) if he would like a prophylactic (in not so kind words) so he could do it a little harder. Needless to say this resulted in an immediate apology.

I've also found that hinting at inappropriate behavior when people are close enough that I can feel them breathing on me is rather amusing.

A parent yelled at me once assuming I hurt their child because their kid ran head first into my stationary cart and started crying so I explained what had occurred. Again, loudly, and with my opinion of them making rude assumptions.

So yes, Costco can be annoying.

4 147
 04-09-2014, 04:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It's not the Costco that's annoying, it's the rude inconsiderate people and the people that let their kids run amuck that's annoying.

And it's not just where you live. A few years back while standing in line at the grocery store, I had a little boy pull down his shorts and pee on my foot. I won't repeat what I said to his mom.

189 26,328
 04-09-2014, 04:47 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ah, the joys of shopping anywhere. Being retired, I am fortunate in that I can shop off hours when the shops are reasonably empty.

2 5,000
 04-09-2014, 04:59 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-09-2014, 04:03 AM)Johnny Wrote: It's not the Costco that's annoying, it's the rude inconsiderate people and the people that let their kids run amuck that's annoying.

And it's not just where you live. A few years back while standing in line at the grocery store, I had a little boy pull down his shorts and pee on my foot. I won't repeat what I said to his mom.

24 Now that is funny, unbelievable bur funny.

Bob

0 1,693
 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM
User Info
Move to the South. People are nicer here and I think there's starting to be more of a divergence as our larger culture sort of crumbles and fragments.

0 303
 04-09-2014, 06:45 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I live in the Bay Area and the Costco's here is a madhouse on the weekends, I refuse to shop at that time.

Freddy is right to shop at non-peak hours. Costco on a weekday morning is a completely different place.

You can't change people you have to change what you are doing or your perception to make yourself happier with the task.

15 549
 04-09-2014, 07:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-09-2014, 06:45 AM)Hanzo Wrote: I live in the Bay Area and the Costco's here is a madhouse on the weekends, I refuse to shop at that time.

Freddy is right to shop at non-peak hours. Costco on a weekday morning is a completely different place.

You can't change people you have to change what you are doing or your perception to make yourself happier with the task.

This is exactly why I enjoy internet shopping.

189 26,328
 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
(04-09-2014, 04:03 AM)Johnny Wrote: A few years back while standing in line at the grocery store, I had a little boy pull down his shorts and pee on my foot.

* Now, I would have loved to have seen that! Biggrin

92 21,368
 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
User Info
(04-09-2014, 07:17 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 06:45 AM)Hanzo Wrote: I live in the Bay Area and the Costco's here is a madhouse on the weekends, I refuse to shop at that time.

This is exactly why I enjoy internet shopping.

You can even shop Costco on the internet but forget the wet shaving productsSmile

149 14,386
 04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
I was coming out of a liquor store one time. I had a parking spot right up front. A taxi pulls up next to my car and this old gal starts to get out. BAM she slams the taxi door into my car. Not satisfied with that, BAM! she does it again. The whole time I'm standing between the taxi and my car, staring at her. She gets out, closes the door looks up and is startled to see me there. Calmly I said, "That's my car" to which she replied in a frantic tone of someone trying to deny the obvious, "I didn't hit your car...I DiDN"T!".

I just shook my head and let her pass. I couldn't undo the door ding and I knew there was no changing the self absorbed ways of that old lady.

0 836
 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
User Info
Don't worry folks. Most of the rude, demanding, uncaring, selfish individuals will die during the upcoming zombie apocolypse. Problem solved

4 952
 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-09-2014, 04:03 AM)Johnny Wrote: It's not the Costco that's annoying, it's the rude inconsiderate people and the people that let their kids run amuck that's annoying.

Well Johnny...you did complain about feeling like a peon. Biggrin

54 21,895
 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-09-2014, 09:54 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

Well Johnny...you did complain about feeling like a peon. Biggrin

189 26,328
 04-27-2014, 07:27 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I am a terrible person, but I would have kicked up at the kid, found some paper based object and bopped him on the nose why firmly shouting "NO!" repeatedly.

This is why I refuse to have kids.

12 770
 04-27-2014, 09:17 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(04-09-2014, 06:15 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: Move to the South. People are nicer here and I think there's starting to be more of a divergence as our larger culture sort of crumbles and fragments.

Actually, no, they're not. People are people pretty much everywhere. I have met some of the nicest folks in the South but also some of the rudest. I can say the same about people I have come in contact with in New York (and the East Coast, in general), the Midwest, Canada, the United Kingdom, etc. Also, sometimes, even a good person is just having a bad day.

2 5,000
 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
(04-27-2014, 09:17 AM)freddy Wrote: Actually, no, they're not. People are people pretty much everywhere. I have met some of the nicest folks in the South but also some of the rudest. I can say the same about people I have come in contact with in New York (and the East Coast, in general), the Midwest, Canada, the United Kingdom, etc. Also, sometimes, even a good person is just having a bad day.

That's absolutely true! I've moved around a bit over the last few years, and I have the same experience everywhere - some people are great, some not so much, and some are just having a bad day.

It seems that shopping in busy stores stresses people out - myself and every other shopper. That brings out the worst in people.

39 1,750
 04-30-2014, 03:45 AM
User Info
Here in Richmond VA it seems the more populated area the more rude folks can get. Get outside the population hubs service increases. Maybe those locations are just less "put upon". Of course to counter that line of thought...I spent one weekend in New York City...and people were very polite and very nice, so there you go.Tongue

0 81
 04-30-2014, 03:53 AM
User Info
(04-27-2014, 09:17 AM)freddy Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 06:15 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: Move to the South. People are nicer here and I think there's starting to be more of a divergence as our larger culture sort of crumbles and fragments.

Actually, no, they're not. People are people pretty much everywhere. I have met some of the nicest folks in the South but also some of the rudest. I can say the same about people I have come in contact with in New York (and the East Coast, in general), the Midwest, Canada, the United Kingdom, etc. Also, sometimes, even a good person is just having a bad day.

Actually yes, it is true. But the "divergence" I was referring to seems to be the same thing you go on to try to explain.

0 303
 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
I think for some reason Costco brings out the worst in people. You do the same sort of things at a grocery store (like meander down an aisle) and you might get an "excuse me", but at Costco its practically demolition derby. And one thing that drives me crazy and that I really only see there are people who push their carriage right down the middle of the aisle and/or leave it there while they go pick something up.

Its really strange because I find the employees of Costco to be some of the best and most helpful people on the customer service side. You would think that friendly interactions (and free samples!) would put customers in a better frame of mind.

88 1,538
 04-30-2014, 11:18 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(04-30-2014, 03:53 AM)Face Bannon Wrote:
(04-27-2014, 09:17 AM)freddy Wrote:

Actually yes, it is true. But the "divergence" I was referring to seems to be the same thing you go on to try to explain.

We shall have to agree to disagree on that. Smile

2 5,000