04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
User Info
OK, the wife needs to fly to attend a wedding. We haven't flown in 25 years and she hates flying. I'm certain she'd like things to go smoothly. She knows not to yell "alah hu akbar" at check in so we can skip obvious things like that.

Please condense the (to us) new flying regs for her. What can she take in carry on, what should be in checked in baggage, what should be left home and bought at the destination?

Anything I missed that she should know to smooth check in and security? I'd really like it to go smoothly for her.

Thanks gents!

32 6,459
 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
tsa.gov is a treasure trove of information for domestic flying in the US - international rules are much the same.

Liquids - 3 ounce or less containers, packed in a single one quart plastic bag (or in Europe, 100ml containers in a one liter bag) can go in carry on, but should be taken out at the checkpoint and scanned separate.

Pretty much anything sharp - razor blades, box cutters, swords and ice axes - should go in checked luggage only. Same goes for anything blunt that can be used as a bludgeon and most sport equipment... except ice skates and roller blades for some reason.

Laptops and tablets often - not always - have to be taken out of the carry on and scanned separately.

Long story short? Pack anything you're not sure of in checked. Have a carry on bag that is easy to scan and manually check. Avoid clothes with metal fasteners and buckles. And even if it is tempting, don't tell the people working the checkpoint your honest opinion of the whole security theater they are putting on...

On a lighter note, blog.tsa.gov can be a fun read, specially the posts about what people try to bring past the check-points.

3 4,491
 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hi Brian,

First, make sure the carry-on measurements are met; they can be found on the airline's web site. Airlines are beginning to get testy about that. Any liquids and gels must fit in a one quart zip-lock bag and each item in that bag can be no more than 3 ounces. That bag will have to be put through the security scanner by itself. In other words, taken out of the carry-on until it passes inspection. Small amounts of perfumes and EDTs are permitted.

Obviously, no DE or SE blades in carry-on but cartridges like Fusion blades or one time use BIC razors are allowed. Brian, if you are going and taking a DE or SE razor, try to pack it open or in its two or three pieces. This is not mandatory but there is less chance of the bag being opened and inspected.

Now, for what may seem obvious, and I apologize if you have already factored this in. Do not take any valuable jewelry if you can avoid it. While the chance is small of losing it to a thief, it has been known to happen.

You will have to remove everything from your pockets, including wallet and cash. You should be allowed to hold the cash while going through the human scanner; I know I am. I try to put everything else I keep in my pockets, from wallet to keys to my asthma spray in a locked compartment of my carry-on before I leave home so no one sees me do it. Once I pass safely through security, I put it all back in my pocket.

Every once in a while I forget something and set off the sensor. A quick check by a TSA officer (always gender appropriate) and I'm on my way. Should the sensor set off your carry-on luggage, it is always opened and inspected right in front of you. Unless you've brought on something not allowed, they'll thank you and you'll be done.

Flying today can be annoying but nothing more. Your wife and you should be fine. I hope I've helped.

Take care and have a good flight,

Freddy

2 11,211
 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
Smile while being groped.

1 239
 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
Thanks Gents!

Thankfully I'm not going. I'm holding down the fort instead.

Someone close needs to die to get me back to NJ. With luck that won't happen for many more years. OK, this is close, it is a wedding. Biggrin

32 6,459
 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I travel are a great deal internationally and I find it's best to get to the airport early and to go with the flow when it comes to checking-in and going through security. Whatever happens, and much can, don't lose your cool, as you can't win; just grin and bear it. Try to keep your sense of humour. My mantra at the airport and going through immigration and customs is, "this too will pass".

7 909