04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
User Info
Here were a couple of surprises lying in wait for my unsuspecting brain!

First: I couldn't resist entering Slant-land. I've been keeping my eyes open for a vintage slant, waiting for the upcoming IB slant. Decided I didn't want to wait any longer, and ordered a 39c Sledgehammer. I prefer 3 piece razors - I never know when the urge for a different handle will strike... But for the price I can give it try.

Merkur 39c - The Skedgehammer:
Arrived in standard Merkur packaging. Very nice looking piece, fit and finish on it is very good. I picked a day where I had a good amount of stubble. The heft and balance of the razor is very good. No problems loading the blade, with no special care taken the blade lines up well with the top plate. It is surprisingly smooth on the face - somehow I had slant and aggression linked in my head. The first pass was very efficient, I felt like hollering timber! It did take an extra pass to get the shave to the same level as the R41/Atlas R2, wtg, xtg 2 directions, atg. Very nice smooth bbs result, but did not last quite as long as my OC shaves. I need more practice learning what it likes. For folks who shy away from a slant because of reports of aggressive results, this razor is a safe intro to the slanted life!

Merkur Progress Short Handle:
This was the first DE razor I purchased. Have to admit this one has been on the bench for a while during my OC adventures. Back in January I thought I preferred milder razors, used it set to 1.5-2 and I liked it, but RAD struck and I forgot about it. So today I brought it out on the field, loaded a Personna Med Prep, set the dial to 4.5, and took a ride. Hey, where u been all my life, I thought! This did not feel like the same razor. I mention this so other new users like me don't lose patience with some of their razors - improvement in technique makes SUCH a difference! 3 pass BBS shave with no drama. Very smooth shave, rivaling my OCs - what a surprise! Here it is 9 hours later and the shave is feeling comparable to both OCs. That settles it, it's getting shipped to Mergress Eric to have a long SS knob upgrade, and joining my favorites in my personal razor Hall of Fame...

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 194
 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
Congratulations on finding some nice razors! Smile

82 21,056
 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
David-This is exactly what i found on the slant and Mergress. They are essential tools in my shaving arsenal

19 726
 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
Thank you Celestino! I am having more fun than a guy my age should expect!!!

Deuce - definitely agree. Both the slant and the soon to be transformed Progress are essential tools now!

What a great time to be a user of safety razors!

18 194