04-12-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
So a couple of months ago I went on somewhat of a shopping spree getting the more common SE razors out there and started trying them out one by one. I gave each razor at least three tries - and some of them like the OCMMs I've used maybe 7-8 times.

I always used the coated SS Gem blades.

In between using the SE razor I went back and dipped into my little DE razor collection and every time I picked up and used the Slim....the Barbasol....the Big Boy....the NEW OC,,,, I always felt more 'at home'. The razor pay felt more solid and they just gave great shaves in a very effortless way.

Now, the SE razors managed to give me some of the closest shaves I've ever had but it always felt as if I was sacrificing some comfort when using them.

So, I'm sad to say I think my dip into the SE pool is over for now Sad

The value of the razors aren't really that significant so I'll hold onto them as In some cases I managed to score some really nice versions. Who knows, in years to come maybe I'll give them another shot - at least I will have them handy and they will work in the same way as they've done for the past 75+ years Smile

Anyone else out there tried including SEs into their shaving rotation but ended up...defeated?

0 338
 04-12-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
My story is like yours but flipped. I tried to get along with DEs, but always felt more at home with the SEs. At least you gave them a shot. Thumbup

31 8,057
 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Richard, I'm exactly the same as you. I like the shave I get from an SE but I always felt something was missing as well. i absolutely love my DE's and keep the SE's around since their value isn't really all that worth it to sell and because I may mix it up once in a blue moon.

58 1,312
 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM
User Info
I was exclusively a DE shaver at first. Then I tried Injectors, and did not like them at all. I gave one away and sold another one. About a year later I tried a GEM 1912 and loved it. And about a year after that, I tried injectors again, and now I really love them. I find injectors to be much more comfortable than most DEs. I also get a very close shave with them. I would hold on to your SE's and try them again after a long break. Maybe you will change your opinion of them.

eric.

7 150
 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
D'Bulb, IMO if they don't suit you now you're doing the right thing. Put them on the shelf and come back to them. Maybe they'll click in a bit, maybe not. You can always sell them, now or later.

32 6,459
 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Richard, you've certainly given them a good try for now and you might be happy to revisit them again, someday.

47 1,270
 04-12-2014, 02:53 PM
User Info
This also, secretly, allows me to shift my attention to straights as my next thing to try out.... Smile

0 338
 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(04-12-2014, 01:55 PM)glassmtn Wrote: I was exclusively a DE shaver at first. Then I tried Injectors, and did not like them at all. I gave one away and sold another one. About a year later I tried a GEM 1912 and loved it. And about a year after that, I tried injectors again, and now I really love them. I find injectors to be much more comfortable than most DEs. I also get a very close shave with them. I would hold on to your SE's and try them again after a long break. Maybe you will change your opinion of them.

eric.

+1. I haven't given up anything, but my DE razors don't see nearly the use they have in the past. Biggrin

19 566
 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 01:05 PM)matloffm Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 01:55 PM)glassmtn Wrote: I was exclusively a DE shaver at first. Then I tried Injectors, and did not like them at all. I gave one away and sold another one. About a year later I tried a GEM 1912 and loved it. And about a year after that, I tried injectors again, and now I really love them. I find injectors to be much more comfortable than most DEs. I also get a very close shave with them. I would hold on to your SE's and try them again after a long break. Maybe you will change your opinion of them.

eric.

+1. I haven't given up anything, but my DE razors don't see nearly the use they have in the past. Biggrin

What's a DE razor? Tongue

31 8,057
 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
Quote:I haven't given up anything, but my DE razors don't see nearly the use they have in the past.

For the past year, I have rarely used my DE razors. I have sold off 3 of them, and am thinking of selling off 2 or 3 more. That would leave me with a DE Slant, a Merkur 42C, and a Lord Premium. And, of course, all my SE razors.

eric.

7 150
 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM
User Info
Eric, I have 4 DE razors in the cabinet for use, two pre 1920 (is that the year?) Gillettes and the '11 and '13 Muhle R41's, and I'm beginning to wonder why I have so many DE razors "out" at all. The rest are put away and I probably should sell them.

32 6,459
 04-19-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
I love the look of the SEs, but the blades just didn't work for my skin, unfortunately, same with the Cobra! Blush

83 21,077
 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
User Info
I feel the same way as the OP. I've bought, tried, and sold a boatload of SE razors. Haven't used one in eons.

HOWEVER, I just ordered some Feather blades for my Valet Auto-strop; when they get to me, I'm gonna give that baby a shot and see what happens.

2 1,454
 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM
User Info
Well, I got the Feather blades and loaded up my Valet.

Tried to shave with it yesterday morning. Didn't get all the way through my first pass before I switched to a DE with a Polsilver blade.

SE shaving is definitely not for me. I don't understand the appeal of it at all.

Guess I'll put the Valet up on the bay and I can offer 4 unused Feather blades to go along with it.

2 1,454
 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
User Info
Even though I've taken a break from SE razors I would recommend giving it 3-4 tries before totally dismissing it. I found myself changing my opinion quite a few times about a SE razor already on the 2nd or 3rd shave. It also seems like at least the coated SS Gem blades 'need' 2-3 uses before they come into their own. Smile

0 338
 04-26-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
What model was the Valet? Feathers don't work in all models; especially the later models. It's the cut outs and pins that make the blade not fit in correctly.

The Feathers and Gems work fine and 100% in the early Valets.

Basically, if the blade holder only covers 1/3 of the blade they'll work 100%. If the blade holder covers the majority of the blade maybe not. Even then, I find that the blade can be extremely difficult to get into correct position. By far my favorite Valets are the early ones for that very reason. I have a thread on the forum that points this out with pix.

32 6,459
 04-27-2014, 05:53 AM
User Info
Try changing soaps. I found the Cobra was much more forgiving with a good pre shave routine and especially with ABCBA soap. Shaving creams and hard soaps didn't provide enough cushion.

23 475
 04-27-2014, 06:41 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I had a pleasant surprise with this mornings shave. I shave with straights predominately for the past several years but do have DEs and a couple of SEs hanging around for variety and for travel. Used an Ever Ready British made lather catcher with a carbon steel GEM Blue Star blade this morning for one of the nicest shaves I have had from any DE or SE I have used to date. Smooth but not as close as with my Muhle 2013 R41 nad feather blades. I guess everyone is different. I will use it again tomorrow to see if I still get the same impression.

Bob

[Image: LC_zps5aae92f2.jpg]

0 1,694
 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
It's all about the rigidity of the blade for me. DEs aren't for me due to their flexibility so it makes sense that SEs won't be for people because of their lack of flexibility. The Feather AC & Kai Captain style blades are a middle ground somewhere in between. Lately I'm finding that even these flex more than I'm comfortable with.

So while sharpness and smoothness are important qualities in a blade, nothing trumps blade stiffness and rigidity for me. Godspeed in finding the winning combination of characteristics for you and the blade or blades that exhibit those characteristics.

31 8,057
 04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-27-2014, 01:53 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: It's all about the rigidity of the blade for me. DEs aren't for me due to their flexibility so it makes sense that SEs won't be for people because of their lack of flexibility. The Feather AC & Kai Captain style blades are a middle ground somewhere in between. Lately I'm finding that even these flex more than I'm comfortable with.

So while sharpness and smoothness are important qualities in a blade, nothing trumps blade stiffness and rigidity for me. Godspeed in finding the winning combination of characteristics for you and the blade or blades that exhibit those characteristics.

Funny you mention the rigidity or lack of it in a blade as a preference. Many people find they prefer heavier grinds in straight razors when compared to full or extra hollow grinds. That seems especially so when starting out. Both need slightly different techniques and a person may just naturally be attuned to one or the other. Yea, it does make a difference.

Bob

0 1,694