05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
Since shaving more aggressively and harder, I've been getting some razor burn on my upper and middle neck.

Corn huskers lotion isn't doing it for me and neither is Thayer's WH, even though this has aloe in it.

Something under $13, yeah it has to be cheap. If I spend over $20, it'll be on AOS aftershave balms, but I don't want to.

0 128
 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've always found Speick After Shave Lotion soothed my razor burn.

173 23,516
 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 09:10 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: Since shaving more aggressively and harder, I've been getting some razor burn on my upper and middle neck.

Jon, why are you shaving aggressively and harder?

9 1,199
 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 09:20 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 09:10 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: Since shaving more aggressively and harder, I've been getting some razor burn on my upper and middle neck.

Jon, why are you shaving aggressively and harder?

Because my razor's blade has been exposed more. I did this purposely to ensure a longer lasting shave. It's 2 days and i'm now starting to get stubble growing. There are some parts where I have to shave aggressively due to them being ingrown hairs. Everyone's got those trouble spots Tongue

0 128
 05-09-2012, 04:58 AM
User Info
For me, Speick works very well on razor burn.

0 12
 05-09-2012, 07:02 AM
User Info
My entire neck is a trouble spot, but removing multiple layers of skin isn't the answer. Bumps are a real pain in the crack, it seems that some refuse to go away no matter what you try. Burn is caused by a few things.

I don't put a dollar amount of getting rid of bumps, because they're painful and often times last a while, they same goes for razor burn. I shave every other day and use Alt Innsbruck when/if I get bumps or a bad burn. It works for me as long as I keep up with it, but AI is beyond what you want to pay.

4711 and St Lucia Bay Rum work pretty well for me. St Lucia actually works pretty well all around.

I think you should try Pre de Provence AS balm.
I've read that Barc shave cream is good for controling irritation, but I've never tried it. It's pricey, but you can get a smaller tub to see if it helps. Barc also makes a lotion in a travel size, which would make a nice trial size. Bump Down lotion and Cutting Up shave cream. Look around for lower prices.

Burn and bumps are irritation, one is longer lasting. Try a new blade or razor as well. My neck issues are what led me to the slant razor and Feather blades. It's not alwas perfect, but the slant seems better for those hairs that grow 20 different directions.

9 451
 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:02 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: My entire neck is a trouble spot, but removing multiple layers of skin isn't the answer. Bumps are a real pain in the crack, it seems that some refuse to go away no matter what you try. Burn is caused by a few things.

I don't put a dollar amount of getting rid of bumps, because they're painful and often times last a while, they same goes for razor burn. I shave every other day and use Alt Innsbruck when/if I get bumps or a bad burn. It works for me as long as I keep up with it, but AI is beyond what you want to pay.

4711 and St Lucia Bay Rum work pretty well for me. St Lucia actually works pretty well all around.

I think you should try Pre de Provence AS balm.
I've read that Barc shave cream is good for controling irritation, but I've never tried it. It's pricey, but you can get a smaller tub to see if it helps. Barc also makes a lotion in a travel size, which would make a nice trial size. Bump Down lotion and Cutting Up shave cream. Look around for lower prices.

Burn and bumps are irritation, one is longer lasting. Try a new blade or razor as well. My neck issues are what led me to the slant razor and Feather blades. It's not alwas perfect, but the slant seems better for those hairs that grow 20 different directions.

I like T&H creams and Harris soap though. Actually Harris does the better job than the T&H creams at protecting the skin. I hate 4711's scent, it smells like fruity pebbles. No matter what razor I use, I'll still shave aggressively with it. Nacet are cheap and easy to find here in MI, I can get some at a local ethnic market for $1.25 if they're not trying to haggle me. They're as sharp as Feathers, well almost and last a good 2 shaves.

I use skin food for aftershave and corn huskers too. I want to try their spanish leather aftershave. I love GFT's spanish leather line.

0 128
 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have been using DR Harris Pink A/S followed by GFT Coral Skin Food - works a treat for me, but exceeds the spending cap posted...

Floid use to receive a lot of my attention, but I found the A/S only did little for my skin (after the initial cooling effect). Tried following up with Floid ASB, but it didn't agree with my skin (and caused a break out). Since finding the Harris and GFT combo, I'm pretty much neglecting everything else in my vast A/S and ASB collection!

91 17,835
 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
I like the Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care Aftershave balm.I can but it in the local supermarket for about $7.

0 252
 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Clubman has always given me the nice warm burn that I've come to associate with doing me some good. I've also found that Nivea's Arctic Freeze Balm will cool down a razor burn.

0 145
 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
RazoRock AS Wax is excellent. I find PREP very effective, but don't care much for the scent - I just use it for preshave.

10 1,858
 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:35 PM)Songwind Wrote: RazoRock AS Wax is excellent. I find PREP very effective, but don't care much for the scent - I just use it for preshave.

+1

9 1,199
 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
User Info
4711 does smell like Fruity Pebbles, I love it. lol
It's funny you said that because that's what my niece told me yesterday.

9 451
 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
I use the Clinique ASB...no scent, and it has nice skin care properties.

1 223
 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
I've found that a good alcohol based splash with menthol did a great job of calming down razor burn. Of course an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

31 7,912
 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
  • James
  • Louisiana
User Info
Alum bar, followed by Trumper's Skin Food.

1 24
 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
If it's exceptionally bad, I reach for the Nivea Sensitive Balm, though a majority of the time, definitely Speick lotion. The alcohol mixed with the witch hazel and Speick plant is wonderful for razor burn.

I just got MWF lotion in the mail and I've read it works great as an AS as well, so next time I'm really in need I shall try it out.

35 1,732
 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
User Info

Corn huskers lotion isn't doing it for me and neither is Thayer's WH, even though this has aloe in it.

Something under $13, yeah it has to be cheap. If I spend over $20, it'll be on AOS aftershave balms, but I don't want to.

The best aftershave I've found to soothe razor burn is either Swiss or Czech Pitralon. The smell is similar for both versions (It's been described as similar to Hoppes gun oil or also a pear-like scent) and this turns off some users, but after a rough shave they both feel great. The Czech version can be found for about $10 a bottle....the Swiss version is harder to find and more expensive. (Czech = 100ml Swiss = 160ml)

0 9
 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
User Info
I like Thayers medicated SuperHazel. Great stuff.

Ingredients:
Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Peppermint, Camphor, Calendula, Eucalyptus, Clove, Aloe Vera, and natural grain alcohol as a preservative (20%).

I also like Anherb aftershave conditioner. It's more like a balm, with some menthol action, but very soothing. The scent stays for a while, which I like.

4 112
 05-18-2012, 05:00 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum:

http://www.krampertsfinest.com/?page=home

I tried a sample of it and it is absolutely AMAZING for razor burn and it has terrific moisturizing qualities. Instantly soothing with no aftershave burn at all for me, smells wonderful,(not overbearing at all)and just a little bit is needed but if you want some more moisturizing capability, a tad more works great. Dries perfectly, not tacky and it just plain feels great.

Yes, it's not available yet but to my understanding, VERY soon.
It's priced attractively and it's great VFM considering the amount you receive and how little you need per shave.

6 905