04-13-2014, 03:33 PM
User Info
 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, that about sums it up, like you say everyone's tolerance to irritation is different.

Out of the 3 synthetic brushes I have the Simpsons has the softest tips and even when that extra force is used to face lather with circles there is no sritch at all. My Muhle XL brush feels like it has just a bit of scritch by comparison.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Chris I would say you just about summed up my four days of testing this brush.

179 23,931
 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM
User Info
I would have to agree with your thoughts. I find myself using the brush more than my Muhle's and Plisson. I mostly bowl lather but have been face lathering with the Simpson and it seems to work for me.

Do you own all those brushes in the beginning of the video?

21 368
 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
User Info
I don't have a short lofted CH2 syn, mine has a 53-54mm loft the same as the original test brush. OK, why do I mention that? I can't comment on the video in regards to the loft.

But I face lather exclusively using mostly circular motions and I find it just as velvety as can be. Too, once the lather begins to be generated the lather itself will keep the brush splayed.

OK, having written that, Johnny used my brush and didn't care for it. Definitely YMMV with this brush.

32 6,470
 04-14-2014, 01:30 AM
User Info
A note about the Simpson Chubby 2 Synth: This weekend I test lathered about 10 soaps with this Simpson Synthetic and I used a pretty heavy hand with it. This morning I used this same brush and it seems to have loosened up a bit. It definitely felt a little easier to splay than it has been in the past. Maybe this is a good sign? I'll have to do the same thing with the others and see how it goes.

19 881
 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Do you own a CH2 in badger? How does it compare to a natural fiber version? Simpson seems to be saying if you don't like the CH2 natural hair brush, you won't enjoy this brush. If this is the case, all this discussion might be more about how one likes the Chubby style brush rather than the fact that the fibers are synthetic. Your thoughts.

19 566
 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 02:20 PM)matloffm Wrote: Do you own a CH2 in badger? How does it compare to a natural fiber version? Simpson seems to be saying if you don't like the CH2 natural hair brush, you won't enjoy this brush. If this is the case, all this discussion might be more about how one likes the Chubby style brush rather than the fact that the fibers are synthetic. Your thoughts.

The closet I ever came to that was a Duke 3. I've never owned a Chubby apart from the synthetic ones. Now the Duke 3 was a fine brush that splayed quite easily but unfortunately I can't compare the synthetic chubby with a natural Chubby.

19 881
 04-17-2014, 03:51 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
[Image: CH2S_zpsc98be23c.png]

From this video of your den (very impressive) it appears that there's quite some variation in the bloom / spray of the CH2S knots Is it that an optical illusion or correct? If correct do you find that it changes the behaviour of the brush?

I have a CH2S and it's a tight knot with very little bloom (accept when full of soap!) and mine looks the same as your standard ivory handled one on the far right. Mine is 50.5 / 29mm.

cheers, Paul

1 225
 04-17-2014, 04:40 AM
User Info
(04-17-2014, 03:51 AM)P.B Wrote: [Image: CH2S_zpsc98be23c.png]

From this video of your den (very impressive) it appears that there's quite some variation in the bloom / spray of the CH2S knots Is it that an optical illusion or correct? If correct do you find that it changes the behaviour of the brush?

I have a CH2S and it's a tight knot with very little bloom (accept when full of soap!) and mine looks the same as your standard ivory handled one on the far right. Mine is 50.5 / 29mm.

cheers, Paul
Last week I did some initial impressions videos and I lathered about 10 soaps with one of the synthetic chubby brushes. I used it for regular shaving the next day and it appeared to me the brush splayed slightly easier than it had prior to all the test lathers. So to answer your question, I believe these brushes are loosening up (slightly) after you get some mileage on them. It may not be significant but I'm definitely noticing some change.

19 881
 04-18-2014, 10:38 PM
User Info
its unfortunate that, that one issue can be a game changed on buying this brush

2 95
 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
My first use of the brush was not a happy experience: a bit like lathering with a stick! Then I got a bit rough with it and did 3-4 hand lathers before then next day - what a difference. After creating a bowl full of lather I applied it to my face and it was soft and yielding - soft beyond any other brush I have but still able to work the lather onto my face. I now think it's an amazing brush.

There are two things about the brush I don't like, the first is that it requires far more force to splay and sometimes it makes my hand / arm ache a little and secondly it's the ugliest knot I've ever had. I know this should be a major factor but it's still important to me. That's why I asked TSEvangelist about the splay on his collection. Mine has splayed a little since new but not as much as the stripey Ivory or Amber ones in TSE's collection. So I guess that the post-use splay is more down to production variation that the use.

All in all an amazing brush but one of my least attractive.

1 225
 04-19-2014, 02:52 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
After about 2 weeks of daily use of the Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic, I Used my Muhle XL synthetic the other day and found it not as satisfying to face lather with as before. The Muhle still works well but just feels like a floppy mop by comparison. The tips of the Simpsons feel much better too, more soft and plush while having great backbone.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for the responses. I'm at peace with buying my Simpsons and I'm enjoying them. I hope they'll continue to loosen up over time to provide an even better experience.

19 881
 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM
User Info
As to the Simpsons instruction manual telling users to use paintbrush strokes, Simpsons has provided the same or similar instructions for many, many years on their Badger brushes. It is more of a warranty disclaimer than anything else. Synthetic fibers are thick and strong so circular motions should not be a problem unless the glue/epoxy base is not solid enough. Simpsons has very recently gotten into synthetics so they are chugging out the same advice that they give to their Badger brushes so the instructions for Badger should not serve as a baseline of performance for synthetics.

As to the loosening up, that would only be the glue base of the knot adjusting. Most epoxy based knots will not loosen up. Glue based knots might continue to settle and loosen due to heat and water applications over time. Since the fibers will not change consistency even over years and decades, don't expect the knot to change too much more than after the first couple of weeks of use if the knot is made of glue, and not at all with epoxy bases.

1 2,827
 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I am guessing that with the Simpsons brush it is not a matter of it loosening up but just the user gets more used to lathering with it and it just seems easier. After a couple of weeks use I would not say it has loosened up any but it sure feels easier to use face lathering with circular strokes. Just really enjoy using it even when compared to my Muhle XL synthetic.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
User Info
(04-19-2014, 09:57 AM)BobH Wrote: I am guessing that with the Simpsons brush it is not a matter of it loosening up but just the user gets more used to lathering with it and it just seems easier. After a couple of weeks use I would not say it has loosened up any but it sure feels easier to use face lathering with circular strokes. Just really enjoy using it even when compared to my Muhle XL synthetic.

Bob

I agree with Bob that it's far more likely that you are subtly and more comfortably adjusting your technique to suit your new brush, rather than the synthetic knot "opening-up" or demonstrably changing in any way.

0 386
 04-19-2014, 12:19 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Despite having a lot of respect for Gary's opinion, I have to say I also feel as mine is somewhat loosening up, and now I'm enjoying it more, even with circular motions.

26 4,952
 04-19-2014, 12:26 PM
User Info
(04-19-2014, 12:19 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Despite having a lot of respect for Gary's opinion, I have to say I also feel as mine is somewhat loosening up, and now I'm enjoying it more, even with circular motions.

Then the knot may be more glue based, as I brought up earlier, because epoxy bases are a hard as a rock after they set up for 24 to 48 hours. Glue more slowly sets and can in some instances slight reset and continue to settle and loosen due to heat and water applications over time until they finally harden fast.

1 2,827
 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
I hope they used epoxy on mine then. I like it just the way it is.

32 6,470