04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
User Info
As much as I hated to do it and with a heavy heart, I have gifted my son my supply of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Every time I use it, my face and neck (mostly neck) are irritated and red. I shaved at 8 and at the time of this writing, my neck is still pretty red. I applied some GFT Lime Skin Food. It helps. Anybody else going "Fat Free"?

39 3,868
 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
Perhaps a reaction to the lanolin in the soap?

0 105
 04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
Too bad that MWF didn't work for you.
However, there's a plethora of other great soaps to use and enjoy! Smile

2 5,545
 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM
User Info
i always get an uncomfortable tingling from mitchell's during my last pass. i strongly feel it's the scent/perfume but cannot prove it. i also use calani soaps with lanolin and never feel anything but pleasure.

7 1,624
 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
User Info
During my initial couple of uses with MWF I got a bit of a *tingle* sensation akin to a very mild *burning*. I figured that it was due to a pH conflict between the soap and my skin. Fortunately it has since passed and I am able to enjoy "the fat". Been thinking about giving it the full month solo treatment as I play with various razors to eliminate factors between shaves to razors only. Sorry to hear about the reaction. I would be curious to see if the pH level of MWF is a little higher than other soaps out there.

1 71
 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I got a lot of irritation when I first started using MWF. I quit using it and let the puck air out for a few weeks. When I came back to it, I did not get the irritation I had before. I don't use it more than twice in a row and really enjoy when I do. I've used many lanolin-bearing products over the years without incident so I seriously doubt that it's the culprit in my early issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4 194
 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
The Mitchell's works absolutely fantastic for me, but I'm not at all surprised it doesn't do for everyone. Good luck finding the soap(s) that work for you and enjoy the journey!

0 567
 04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
User Info
I tried to use MWF twice. The first shave wasn't bad, but I wasn't terribly impressed. The second was one of the worst shaving experiences of my life. It burned horribly and blistered my skin. Something in the fragrance. I tried it on my father with no ill effects and I've never had any problems with lanolin, before or since. I can't use the stuff whatsoever.

5 407
 04-14-2014, 07:16 PM
User Info
I have actually never liked the scent! Blush
Not to worry as there are so many great artisan soaps to try! Smile

82 21,056
 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
User Info
For some reason, I tend to favor one particular soap during the winter months - this past winter it has been Mitchell's Wool Fat. I've appreciated the moisturizing post shave feel, the slickness and protection that it offers.

Yet after a few years of being on the forums, I know that something in just clashes with some shaver's chemistry. Fortunately we are living in a golden age of shave soap, there are many fine soaps out there (For example, the fine Barrister & Mann above)

3 459
 04-14-2014, 10:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There a lot of soaps that I cannot use for the same reason you cannot use MWF, but MWF is not one of them for me. I love the FAT and it's the only soap I have multiple pucks of. I ran out once and don't want that to happen again. I will be using nothing but MWF for the next 7-days while I conduct a test comparing some brushes.

175 23,752
 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 07:16 PM)celestino Wrote: I have actually never liked the scent! Blush
Not to worry as there are so many great artisan soaps to try! Smile

i agree on that. i find it overpowering and ordinary - yet usually i love the ordinary but not so much mitchell's. i eye an opportunity to make a pif of my 2 unused Biggrin

7 1,624
 04-15-2014, 03:44 AM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 04:13 PM)tonsorius Wrote: i always get an uncomfortable tingling from mitchell's during my last pass. i strongly feel it's the scent/perfume but cannot prove it. i also use calani soaps with lanolin and never feel anything but pleasure.

Interesting. I hadn't considered the perfume...

This morning I am going to break out a new puck of Ogalalla's Bay Rum/Sandalwood soap. Smells terrific. Report at 10pm...

39 3,868
 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I'm sorry that the soap doesn't agree with your skin. It's one of the best out there, IMO.

0 1,137
 04-15-2014, 06:55 AM
User Info
(04-15-2014, 06:29 AM)Elendil Wrote: I'm sorry that the soap doesn't agree with your skin. It's one of the best out there, IMO.

You're right it performed great, just a bad skin reaction. Today's Ogalalla shave was amazing, AND no irritation anywhere.

39 3,868
 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM
User Info
I, too, get a burning sensation when using MWF. It starts on my second pass, but the sensation lasts for hours.

I'm fairly sure that my reaction is caused by the fragrance, as I've used many products with lanolin without any problems.

0 386
 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
I suspect its the perfume as well.
It used to irritate my skin when it was new last year.
Now I'm fine with it.

6 808
 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
I've never used MWF, but I have since "discovered" other tallow and lanolin soaps. I get the best, most comfortable shaves from soaps full of "fat" Biggrin

Like others said, I wonder if it's not the fragrance in the MWF? The other soaps I've been using all have no fragrance oils, only essential oils. Is MWF using FOs? I have been wanting to try MWF, but maybe not now...

21 555
 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I used MWF for awhile some years ago. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, but interestingly enough this one wasn't a problem. I just moved on to other soaps like I liked better.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
(04-15-2014, 09:49 AM)BriDroid Wrote: I've never used MWF, but I have since "discovered" other tallow and lanolin soaps. I get the best, most comfortable shaves from soaps full of "fat" Biggrin

Like others said, I wonder if it's not the fragrance in the MWF? The other soaps I've been using all have no fragrance oils, only essential oils. Is MWF using FOs? I have been wanting to try MWF, but maybe not now...

My guess is that Mitchell's blends the scent itself rather than buying pre-manufactured fragrance. So in a very fuzzy sense yes, they're using a fragrance oil, but they're more accurately using a proprietary blend of synthetic compounds.

5 407