05-09-2012, 07:30 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
What are you doing for Mother's Day? I just finished finals so I've time to treat my wife right on Mother's Day.

I'll do the cooking, like usual, but it will be something a little different. My wife has a few things that she really likes but I don't cook very often.

Breakfast/lunch will either be some type of crepe's or more likely huevo's ranceros. Heuvo's rancheros is a simple meal and it reminds her of her childhood.

Dinner will be surf and turf. I'm going to do crab cakes as an appetizer and rack of lamb with mushroom risotto for the main course. I'm not sure what vegetable will go with dinner, maybe brussel sprouts with bacon, or grilled asparagus with a balsamic glaze. Heck, now that I think about it, I'll do a grilled asparagus, fresh mozzarella, and heirloom tomato salad for the starter along with a nice balsamic reduction that way I don't even need a vegetable for dinner. I'll serve the crab cakes with dinner.

Dessert will be some type of ice cream, whatever has the most stuff mixed in. Mrs. Sully likes her ice cream to be a delivery system for a bunch of candy.

7 1,018
 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
My mother has passed, and I am single so all I will be doing is celebrating my birthday which happens to fall on Mothers Day this year.

0 59
 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Shawn...do you have room for four? Hambre Those meals sound fantastic.

45 16,307
 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:41 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Shawn...do you have room for four? Hambre Those meals sound fantastic.

Better make that room for six. My wife says she wants to go to Shawn's house for Mother's Day.Biggrin

173 23,508
 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:35 AM)livingontheedge Wrote: My mother has passed, and I am single so all I will be doing is celebrating my birthday which happens to fall on Mothers Day this year.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother has passed. I hope you have a nice Birthday and you are able to do something enjoyable.

(05-09-2012, 07:41 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Shawn...do you have room for four? Hambre Those meals sound fantastic.

Sure I do. Hold on, are you bringing two more of four more?

(05-09-2012, 07:48 AM)Johnny Wrote:

Better make that room for six. My wife says she wants to go to Shawn's house for Mother's Day.Biggrin

Sounds good, Bill's probably going to want to come too. I'm going to have to get out the folding tables. Biggrin

7 1,018
 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
I'm going to remember my mother, who lived to age 87 years and inspired nearly everyone who met her during that long life. More than anyone else I've ever known, she simply provided unconditional, unwavering love, no matter how stupid or ungrateful I was. She guided rather than steered, usually just by living as an example of how to be honest, compassionate, skeptical, and life-embracing, all at the same time.

184 12,002
 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I'm going to Sully's place for breakfast and dinner. Biggrin

2 11,211
 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:30 AM)Sully Wrote: What are you doing for Mother's Day? I just finished finals so I've time to treat my wife right on Mother's Day.

Hi Shawn

Sounds like you've got everything planned out and under control, hope it all works out and your wife has a wonderful day Smile

We will be meeting up with some of the outlaws (wife's family) on Mothering Sunday...

For me, Mother's Day this year will occur in Friday 18th May as we (the family) will meet up with my mum in Chicago (flying in from London, UK) for a few days, before all (mum included) coming back here.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
User Info
We just got back from a cruise, so I have no idea as of yet what I am doing. Steak may be the fall back option, but not sure...

1 223
 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:54 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I'm going to remember my mother, who lived to age 87 years and inspired nearly everyone who met her during that long life. More than anyone else I've ever known, she simply provided unconditional, unwavering love, no matter how stupid or ungrateful I was. She guided rather than steered, usually just by living as an example of how to be honest, compassionate, skeptical, and life-embracing, all at the same time.

John, a wonderful remembrance. Mine would be the exact same, except my mother live to age 78.

173 23,508
 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My mother passed on in 84, I miss her so very much.
I would love to give her hug and tell her I love her, thank you for being a great mom.

1 3,507
 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
In honor of my Mother, Johnnie Fern Petree, 1913-1991.

My Mom and Dad outside of my Dad's Magnolia station in Oklahoma City, 1938.

My Mom in 1941-42.

Me and Mom in Dallas, 1950.

173 23,508
 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 10:00 AM)Johnny Wrote: In honor of my Mother, Johnnie Fern Petree, 1913-1991.

My Mom and Dad outside of my Dad's Magnolia station in Oklahoma City, 1938.

My Mom in 1941-42.

Me and Mom in Dallas, 1950.

Beautiful photos, Johnny!

(05-09-2012, 07:30 AM)Sully Wrote: What are you doing for Mother's Day? I just finished finals so I've time to treat my wife right on Mother's Day.

I'll do the cooking, like usual, but it will be something a little different. My wife has a few things that she really likes but I don't cook very often.

Breakfast/lunch will either be some type of crepe's or more likely huevo's ranceros. Heuvo's rancheros is a simple meal and it reminds her of her childhood.

Dinner will be surf and turf. I'm going to do crab cakes as an appetizer and rack of lamb with mushroom risotto for the main course. I'm not sure what vegetable will go with dinner, maybe brussel sprouts with bacon, or grilled asparagus with a balsamic glaze. Heck, now that I think about it, I'll do a grilled asparagus, fresh mozzarella, and heirloom tomato salad for the starter along with a nice balsamic reduction that way I don't even need a vegetable for dinner. I'll serve the crab cakes with dinner.

Dessert will be some type of ice cream, whatever has the most stuff mixed in. Mrs. Sully likes her ice cream to be a delivery system for a bunch of candy.

Shawn,
Wow, you sure know how to treat a woman! Enjoy!

75 20,883
 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
I'll probably take my Mom out for dinner on Mother's Day.

40 5,830
 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No one asked for it, but this old guy is going to give all you young guys some good advise.

Everyday of the week call your Mother (no email, no facebook, no twitter), call her, and tell her how much you love her and appreciate her for all she has done for you.

One of these days you are going to blink and she will be gone. And I will guarantee you, it will be one of, if not the saddest days of your life. Then you will ask yourself, when was the last time I told my Mother that I loved her.

Call her today!Heart

173 23,508
 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-09-2012, 10:55 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I'll probably take my Mom out for dinner on Mother's Day.

Andrew, just remember, taking your mother to Hometown Buffet is definitely NOT to be construed as taking her out to dinner. The two are mutually exclusive! Laughing1

2 11,211
 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
(05-09-2012, 11:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: No one asked for it, but this old guy is going to give all you young guys some good advise.

Everyday of the week call your Mother (no email, no facebook, no twitter), call her, and tell her how much you love her and appreciate her for all she has done for you.

One of these days you are going to blink and she will be gone. And I will guarantee you, it will be one of, if not the saddest days of your life. Then you will ask yourself, when was the last time I told my Mother that I loved her.

Call her today!Heart
Totally agree.
The hardest day was when she passed. Treasure your Mom and shower her with love and thanks.

1 3,507
 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Like many of you I am remembering..was blessed to have her until she was 97 !!! just remember being a Mother is a hard job and we should do all we can to make this day special and in fact everyday... never think back and regret you never said " I Love You" every chance you can...to Mothers everywhere....we do love you !!!!!SmileShyRolleyes

6 1,913
 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
Well, I blinked and Mom is gone, but she was "gone" long before she departed, so until this silver cord parts it's just well wishes that can't be expressed.

For the wife, I have no plans yet. We just went "out" to dinner and frankly I can do better, so we'll probably just go over to Sullys. That sounds good. Biggrin

Or maybe I'll do something at home. Probably cherry smoked ribeyes on the Primo. They're to kill for. Or maybe a rib roast. Either one works for me. She keeps telling me, "Oh, I don't know...". So the tie breaker is up to the chef.

32 6,309
 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I can't decide which is closer, Central Maine or Cedar Park, TX. Sounds like good food at either. I'll ask the wife.Biggrin

173 23,508