04-15-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
I recently made a home made light box and I want to show how I set-up for a shoot. Currently I am setting-up in my woodworking shop using boards and wood clamps to make the frame for the lights. I plan to pick-up some 1X6 boards and build a more permanent frame. You can reposition the lights as needed to get the desired results. Since using the light box is new to me, I want to experiment with the light angles, intensity, etc.; perhaps tinted lights. This is a lot of fun and the results are only limited by creative thinking. Another plus is that you do not need a high-end camera. I think just about any point and shoot will work. So far I have done hand held and used a tripod...both with good results. I am a rookie at this but will be happy to help others make a set-up, if needed.

[Image: qA0Okfc.jpg]
[Image: I2AZcNj.jpg]
[Image: rpsA0fa.jpg]

20 739
 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nicely done!

Thanks for sharing.

102 18,100
 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Thanks for showing us your set-up, Ed. I like the lighting in the top shot, which demonstrates that the arrangement is functional and that you are using it to good effect.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-16-2014, 09:14 PM
User Info
Very nice! Smile

81 20,986
 04-17-2014, 12:25 AM
User Info
Cool. I always wondered how you guys got those "perfect" pics! I've got a box or 2 lying around that I'll have to play with. I saw that the top of the box has tissue? paper over it as well. Do you have a light suspended above the box that is out of the frame?

1 71
 04-17-2014, 02:40 AM
User Info
(04-17-2014, 12:25 AM)RunWithScissors Wrote: Cool. I always wondered how you guys got those "perfect" pics! I've got a box or 2 lying around that I'll have to play with. I saw that the top of the box has tissue? paper over it as well. Do you have a light suspended above the box that is out of the frame?

No, I did not use a top light on the picture....just the side lighting. I do have a gooseneck lamp that I can use for overhead lighting, if needed. I've only had this for about a month so I am still experimenting with the lighting. By moving the angle of the lights you can get some neat and unusual results. The box came from Lowes and the tissue/poster board from WallyWorld. There are a number of "how-to" articles on the Inet showing construction. This is a fun and very inexpensive way to shoot pictures and is perfect for SOTD shots, sharing new gear, etc. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

20 739
 04-17-2014, 04:02 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ed-this was helpful for me. I think I'll try this too

19 711
 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That is a great shot, Ed. I really like the shadows in that photo.

2 11,211
 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
Was just looking through some old posts and found this.  Very nice.  It's amazing what you can do with light control .  Nice setup.

3 193