04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
User Info
Last night Mary Lou was reading on her Kindle. As I walked by I looked at the screen. She was perusing "The Fountain Pen Network".

I asked her how long she had been going there. She said she didn't know but reads up on pens and inks all the time. Not just at FPN but anywhere that Google will take her.

I realized that she has watched every Goulet Pens Fountain of Knowledge video,has a browser bookmark folder of fountain pen sites, possesses more pens than me, purchased more ink and samples than me and spec'd the last few pens purchased.

Yes my trainee was now more informed and more of a fountain pen geek than me.

I had to suppress the urge to call her "Grasshopper"

I am pretty sure she surpassed me some time ago. Just took me a while to realize it.Biggrin

Phil

7 363
 04-16-2014, 06:10 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Good work, you've done well!

58 1,312
 04-16-2014, 06:20 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM
User Info
The ultimate PIF...knowledge passed on to our children Blush

96 2,590
 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
Great to hear, Phil, and good job! Biggrin

83 21,077
 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, Mary Lou and you are an incredible team! Just remember who gave her her first cheap cheap 99p fountain pen. 24

2 11,211
 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
(04-16-2014, 06:20 AM)Elendil Wrote:

That cracked me up. ML as well.

(04-16-2014, 07:28 AM)Jmartz Wrote: The ultimate PIF...knowledge passed on to our children Blush

John,
I should have clarified. Mary Lou is my wife. She was skeptical once I bought a second fountain pen. She feared it would become like my razor collection.

And know she has more pens than me and more know how to boot.
For some one whose pen and ink selection criteria are: They must be BLUE - she knows more than she lets on.

(04-16-2014, 10:30 AM)freddy Wrote: Phil, Mary Lou and you are an incredible team! Just remember who gave her her first cheap cheap 99p fountain pen. 24

Freddy,
This is Mary Lou. Never fear, you have been immortalized in the hearts and minds of our household. You have become part of our family lore. And your lovely duck photo has earned a coveted space in our family photo album. (Yes, Phil and I have old fashioned hard copy photo albums). Like it or not you are part of our family nowBiggrin. And we are happy to have you.

Mary Lou

7 363
 04-16-2014, 05:20 PM
User Info
I'd bet she knows a bit about razors too Wink

1 346
 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM
User Info
Now I'm curious just how many blues she has.

31 8,057
 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
(04-16-2014, 05:31 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Now I'm curious just how many blues she has.

ML has 13 pens. 11 of them are blue. One (black) was a gift from a friend and ML purchased the rosewood one herself.

These are her pens:

In her case
[Image: 0M0kuhs.jpg]

On the table
[Image: AMXjaeP.jpg]
Top Row L to R
Pilot Preppy that she converted to an eyedropper pen
Kaweco Classic Sport

Bottom Row L to R
Papermate school pen compliments of Freddy
Herlitz Black piston fill - a $5 yard sale find. New never inked.
Cross Coventry
Platignum Studio
Regal Katherine
Paradise Pen Co. house brand 5280 Apex
Cheap Chinese rosewood
Kaweco Allrounder
Montegrappo Espressione
Mont Blanc Generations
Missing (kept at her desk at school - the students love it) X450 blue

She says the MB writes the smoothest followed closely by the Kaweco Allrounder.

Phil

7 363
 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
She needs a Sailor 1911 or an Edison to go with that collection. The Sailor, in particular, has a butter smooth nib.

0 1,137
 04-17-2014, 10:02 PM
User Info
Blue....my favourite colour....I think! Biggrin

83 21,077
 04-18-2014, 04:15 AM
User Info
Wow, that is a lot of blue pens. Now, how many different blue inks does she have?

31 8,057
 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Mary Lou, have you seen the new Pilot Vanishing Points that the Goulets just got in: http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/04/pilot-...Nouveau%29? I am so tempted by either the Copper Red or Desert Orange but I immediately thought of you when I saw the Mountain Blue. Hey, you can start hinting to Phil; there are only 250 days, 11 hours, and 14 minutes until Christmas. Tell him to avoid the rush. Biggrin

2 11,211
 04-19-2014, 11:29 AM
User Info
(04-17-2014, 03:14 PM)Elendil Wrote: She needs a Sailor 1911 or an Edison to go with that collection. The Sailor, in particular, has a butter smooth nib.

Hey, ML does not need any help spending moneyBiggrin
Pam suggested an Edison a while back but ML would have to see one in person. And I love the Sailor 1911 in blue but to ML it looked too non-descript. And too big. I have a blue metallic Sailor Reglus and ML loves the look and size of it. Fortunately it has a Japanese fine which writes like an extra fine and ML prefers mediums so she never borrows it Smile

Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil

(04-18-2014, 04:15 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Wow, that is a lot of blue pens. Now, how many different blue inks does she have?

ML has been on a quest for "Mary Lou Perfect Blue" ink.
Originally she ordered lots of blue cartridges. Then we started buying bottles of ink.
ML has 4 bottles of blue ink:
Pilot Kon Peki - her fav so far.
Diamine Turquoise - she likes this but a little light.
Levenger Cobalt Blue - too much purple
Private Reserve American Blue - too dark

Fortunately at this point Freddy introduced us to ink samples.
She has tried many, many different samples of blue. Her desk currently has 18 sample vials.

I do not see an end to this Mary Lou Perfect Blue. But thats okay as she enjoys the hunt. We have a bottle of Noodlers Bernake Blue on the way.

I prefer vibrant hues but get to absorb and work off her cast away blues. The 4 bottles listed above should last my lifetimeSmile

Phil

(04-18-2014, 11:46 AM)freddy Wrote: Mary Lou, have you seen the new Pilot Vanishing Points that the Goulets just got in: http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/04/pilot-...Nouveau%29? I am so tempted by either the Copper Red or Desert Orange but I immediately thought of you when I saw the Mountain Blue. Hey, you can start hinting to Phil; there are only 250 days, 11 hours, and 14 minutes until Christmas. Tell him to avoid the rush. Biggrin

Freddy,
See my note to Bob above. ML does not need help spending moneyBiggrin

Actually she loves the color of that blue vanishing point. But she does not like the retractable nib concept. Back in the fall she tried one at Paradise Pens and did not like the clip at the "wrong end" Smile

Phil

7 363
 04-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Phil, my brother-in-law was coming home from work one day (before he retired) and there, stuck in the seat of his commuter train, was a Vanishing Point. He gave it to me and I don't find the clip disturbing, though many do. I actually like the retractable nib concept but that's just me.

2 11,211
 04-19-2014, 04:39 PM
User Info
Phil & Mary Lou, I hope you enjoy the Bernanke Blue. Many have asked me if it was Kon-Peki so if that is her current favorite then she may very well enjoy the Bernanke.

I'm loving the Ku-Jaku (Peacock) from Iroshizuku. I've been tempted by Ajisai (Hydrangea) but that may be too purple. She might like Tsuyu-Kusa (Asiatic Dayflower).

I also like Nitrogen & Jules Verne from Organics Studio and may be trying some of their ink soon. Diamine is another brand that I've been looking at and the blues I like there are Eau de nil (I think Freddy loves this one) & Steel Blue.

31 8,057
 04-19-2014, 04:46 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(04-19-2014, 04:39 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Phil & Mary Lou, I hope you enjoy the Bernanke Blue. Many have asked me if it was Kon-Peki so if that is her current favorite then she may very well enjoy the Bernanke.

I'm loving the Ku-Jaku (Peacock) from Iroshizuku. I've been tempted by Ajisai (Hydrangea) but that may be too purple. She might like Tsuyu-Kusa (Asiatic Dayflower).

I also like Nitrogen & Jules Verne from Organics Studio and may be trying some of their ink soon. Diamine is another brand that I've been looking at and the blues I like there are Eau de nil (I think Freddy loves this one) & Steel Blue.

Yup, Brian, I am a big fan of Eau de Nil. In fact, I am a big fan of Diamine inks, in general. Because I am retired, and don't need to write for work, I have the option of using whatever color I like. Diamine and J. Herbin have so many colors that I really like that, quite frankly, I just go for it. Everything from Diamine Oxblood to J. Herbin Rouille d'Ancre is used for letter writing. They might not work in a business setting but they are a heck of a lot of fun. I would put Eau de Nil in the fun category. Smile

2 11,211
 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
(04-19-2014, 04:39 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Phil & Mary Lou, I hope you enjoy the Bernanke Blue. Many have asked me if it was Kon-Peki so if that is her current favorite then she may very well enjoy the Bernanke.

Thanks for the suggestions. I let ML know she has to check this thread.

I am a big big fan of Diamne, both for the color selection and the ink properties. Most of my bright inks are Diamine.

I ordered a sample of Eud de Nil last fall. Before it arrived Freddy sent us a few samples including Eau de Nil. I like the color and the way this writes. I use it quite a bit but with 2 samples I had 6 or 7 mLs and I still have just less than half of it remaining.

ML thought it was too green and was surprised it was listed as a "Blue" ink.

Phil

7 363
 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(04-20-2014, 05:22 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I let ML know she has to check this thread.

I am a big big fan of Diamne, both for the color selection and the ink properties. Most of my bright inks are Diamine.

I ordered a sample of Eud de Nil last fall. Before it arrived Freddy sent us a few samples including Eau de Nil. I like the color and the way this writes. I use it quite a bit but with 2 samples I had 6 or 7 mLs and I still have just less than half of it remaining.

ML thought it was too green and was surprised it was listed as a "Blue" ink.

Phil

I find Eau de Nil a bit greener than turquoise and a bit bluer than aqua.

2 11,211