04-18-2014, 05:50 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I acquired a cobra classic recently and fell in love with it. Before that I acquired and fell in love with a Weber PH. I know.... I'm fickle Smile The last few shaves I have used the cobra and while not perfect have been great. For old times sake I pulled out the Weber today and some LPL and proceeded to literally have the best shave of my life. I struggle with irritation on my neck and was treated to absolutely none!

I love the Cobra but I am not a rich man. What would you do? I have this Weber that is capable and usually does give me amazing shaves and this Cobra that can't do any better than it... at least to me, YMMV. From a budget persepctive I have one that gives me what I need and can't really afford to have two that work evenly well. I also love my DE's.

Would you keep the Weber and rehome the Cobra? Again, I can't afford to have a beautiful piece of machinery laying around when I have something that works just as well if not better in my garage.

58 1,312
 04-18-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
Keep the Cobra and get to know it better, it's my best razor. My only tip would be if you get a rough feather or kai blade, replace the blade immediately. As noted by others it will will feel like broken glass. Your current set up is now in awesome territory Biggrin

(04-18-2014, 05:50 AM)Lutebro Wrote: I acquired a cobra classic recently and fell in love with it. Before that I acquired and fell in love with a Weber PH. I know.... I'm fickle Smile The last few shaves I have used the cobra and while not perfect have been great. For old times sake I pulled out the Weber today and some LPL and proceeded to literally have the best shave of my life. I struggle with irritation on my neck and was treated to absolutely none!

I love the Cobra but I am not a rich man. What would you do? I have this Weber that is capable and usually does give me amazing shaves and this Cobra that can't do any better than it... at least to me, YMMV. From a budget persepctive I have one that gives me what I need and can't really afford to have two that work evenly well. I also love my DE's.

Would you keep the Weber and rehome the Cobra? Again, I can't afford to have a beautiful piece of machinery laying around when I have something that works just as well if not better in my garage.

23 475
 04-18-2014, 05:58 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
If cost concerns are an issue, then I would recommend you part with one of the two ...

102 18,650
 04-18-2014, 06:05 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(04-18-2014, 05:57 AM)mixershave Wrote: Keep the Cobra and get to know it better, it's my best razor. My only tip would be if you get a rough feather or kai blade, replace the blade immediately. As noted by others it will will feel like broken glass. Your current set up is now in awesome territory Biggrin

(04-18-2014, 05:50 AM)Lutebro Wrote: I acquired a cobra classic recently and fell in love with it. Before that I acquired and fell in love with a Weber PH. I know.... I'm fickle Smile The last few shaves I have used the cobra and while not perfect have been great. For old times sake I pulled out the Weber today and some LPL and proceeded to literally have the best shave of my life. I struggle with irritation on my neck and was treated to absolutely none!

The thing is I don't expect anything better than the shave the weber gives me. I'm extremely happy with it in fact so the hunt for the better shave really has ended. I don't expect the cobra to surpass it.

58 1,312
 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM
User Info
Learning curve. Wait for it. Proceed through it. Then make a better informed decision that is more analytical and less emotional.

31 8,057
 04-18-2014, 06:19 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Here is what I would do:
I would apply Ravi's rule of 3. In fact in this case - I would make it rule of 14. If it was me I would:
Week 1: Use Cobra non-stop 7 days
Week 2: Use Weber non-stop 7 days
Week 3: Cobra week again
Week 4: Weber week again

At the end of this period - you will be sure which razor you prefer. If you still want to sell your Cobra - you will probably get the same price as you would if you sell it today? Why not give it a thorough evaluation?

17 535
 04-18-2014, 06:22 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(04-18-2014, 06:19 AM)v4257 Wrote: Here is what I would do:
I would apply Ravi's rule of 3. In fact in this case - I would make it rule of 14. If it was me I would:
Week 1: Use Cobra non-stop 7 days
Week 2: Use Weber non-stop 7 days
Week 3: Cobra week again
Week 4: Weber week again

At the end of this period - you will be sure which razor you prefer. If you still want to sell your Cobra - you will probably get the same price as you would if you sell it today? Why not give it a thorough evaluation?

That's a really great idea! I truly believe in the 30 day rule so this would probably work.

Thanks!

58 1,312
 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I think you have received some great advice so far. I'd give it more time, taking turns using both and perhaps trying different blades and seeing what works best for you before deciding what to get rid of. I grew up a data geek in my career, so I use a database I built which contains all my inventory and where I log and score all my shaves. I have found, particularly the scoring of each shave on multiple attributes, helps me truly see which products are performing better (or worse) on a consistent basis.

I know my method is probably a little much, but perhaps a simple log for a few weeks will help you determine which razor needs to go Smile

34 1,628
 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
If you decide to sell the Cobra at a decent price let me know, we may do business! Biggrin

26 4,928
 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
User Info
ditch the bitch and drag your weber out of the garage. did you say the garage Tongue

7 1,624
 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Sorry, by garage I mean my den Smile

58 1,312
 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
User Info
ride the weber on the highway then. you already know the cobra is not for you. bring the snake back to its nest

[Image: FthR9dn.jpg]

7 1,624
 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I went through a similar ordeal. I tried almost everything out there, Merkur 23c, 37c, Futur, Progress, EJDE89, Muhle R41, iKon SB and OC, Fatip, the first ATT (forgot the name), Weber DLC and Polished, various injectors, various SE razors including OCMM, 1912, Damaskeene 1912, ER 1914 and 1924. The only razors that completely made me happy were the Webers, Damaskeene and 1914. I sold everything else.

I eventually ended up selling the DLC as well. I just never really noticed much of a shave difference between the DLC and Polished. The prices climbed to new heights on the DLC and I decided to sell it while the demand was high.

Now I only use the Weber Polished with a UFO Goliath handle, ER 1914 and a Damaskeene 1912, the latter of which was generously gifted to me by our very own Brian Krampert aka "ShadowsDad".
I'd say my usage is about 75% Weber and 25% Damaskeene/1914..the shaves just can't be beat and it's nice keeping things simple, and it leaves more room for soap. Biggrin

31 1,510
 04-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(04-18-2014, 10:38 AM)Arcadies Wrote: ..the shaves just can't be beat and it's nice keeping things simple, and it leaves more room for soap. Biggrin

This is an excellent philosophy...I hope to get there one day Tongue

34 1,628
 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
User Info
Dustin, take some more time to shave with both and then decide.
Too bad you can't keep both for variety! Best of luck.

83 21,077
 04-19-2014, 02:29 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-19-2014, 01:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Dustin, take some more time to shave with both and then decide.
Too bad you can't keep both for variety! Best of luck.

He already sold it, Celestino! Biggrin

26 4,928
 04-19-2014, 02:34 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I did sell it. I make rash decisions that I sometimes regret but I'm really happy with my Weber and the cobra was worth too much to sit on the shelf. I snagged another couple brushes that I really wanted. Figured I'll focus in brushes and soaps/creams. If I can get a great shave that I am super happy with with the Weber then I have no need for a ton of razors. Brushes and soaps will vary the experience Smile

Also, there is a very happy gentleman in London that will give it an amazing home!

58 1,312
 04-20-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
(04-19-2014, 02:34 PM)Lutebro Wrote: I did sell it. I make rash decisions that I sometimes regret but I'm really happy with my Weber and the cobra was worth too much to sit on the shelf. I snagged another couple brushes that I really wanted. Figured I'll focus in brushes and soaps/creams. If I can get a great shave that I am super happy with with the Weber then I have no need for a ton of razors. Brushes and soaps will vary the experience Smile

Also, there is a very happy gentleman in London that will give it an amazing home!

Right. That gentleman must be very excited, looking at its pics every chance he gets and will spend a lot of time by the porch waiting for the mailman Wink

He is also very grateful.

1 182
 04-20-2014, 03:46 PM
User Info
Only logical solution I see is that you back out of any deal that you're thinking about and Sell me the Cobra. I've wanted one for awhile now and it will have a good home.
I won't resell it. Treat it well, and if you need to see it, I'll send you photos.
Plus if you named it, it'll stay with it.

5 410
 04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
(04-20-2014, 03:46 PM)Johnus Wrote: Only logical solution I see is that you back out of any deal that you're thinking about and Sell me the Cobra. I've wanted one for awhile now and it will have a good home.
I won't resell it. Treat it well, and if you need to see it, I'll send you photos.
Plus if you named it, it'll stay with it.

9 1,203