05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
User Info
[Image: 692px-Google_Drive_Logo.png]

Any of you check out Google Drive yet? Overall it's quite great and gives you lots of free space (5 GB), but the Google Drive client is quite buggy right now and lacks good features like the ability to control upload speed. Being able to control upload speed is essential IMO. When you upload things at full speed, it can slow your internet down.

I already backup my files on various hosting services, but I'm hosting them on Google Drive as well case any of these hosting services ever shut down. Now that Google has its own hosting service, there's a chance it'll kill off some of these other hosting services, so . . .

Quote:Google Drive is a file storage and sync service by Google that was released on April 24, 2012. Google Drive is an extension of Google Docs once activated, and replaces the URL docs.google.com with drive.google.com.

Rumors about Google Drive began circulating as early as March 2006.

[Image: 800px-Google_Drive_ChromeOS_file_manager.png]

0 214
 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Not sure why, but I've got a siginificant distrust of Google. That said, I got in on the free increase to 25 gig at SkyDrive before they changed policy. Not sure MS is any more unethical than Google though.

What are you using for backup service? I've been using I-Drive for a couple years. Seems to do ok. And every night I back up to a USB drive using Comodo Backup.
I'm kinda paranoid about data loss.

47 1,378
 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
I use the Amazon Cloud, which I get a fairly sizable chunk free since I am a Prime user.

1 223
 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 02:14 PM)MaxP Wrote: Not sure why, but I've got a siginificant distrust of Google.

I trust Google as much as I trust an arsonist driving a gas truck with a case of road flares on his lap.

9 451
 05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 02:02 PM)Pnume Wrote: [Image: 692px-Google_Drive_Logo.png]

Any of you check out Google Drive yet? Overall it's quite great and gives you lots of free space (5 GB), but the Google Drive client is quite buggy right now and lacks good features like the ability to control upload speed. Being able to control upload speed is essential IMO. When you upload things at full speed, it can slow your internet down.

I already backup my files on various hosting services, but I'm hosting them on Google Drive as well case any of these hosting services ever shut down. Now that Google has its own hosting service, there's a chance it'll kill off some of these other hosting services, so . . .

Quote:Google Drive is a file storage and sync service by Google that was released on April 24, 2012. Google Drive is an extension of Google Docs once activated, and replaces the URL docs.google.com with drive.google.com.

Rumors about Google Drive began circulating as early as March 2006.

[Image: 800px-Google_Drive_ChromeOS_file_manager.png]

what OS are you using?

40 5,830
 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 11:41 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: what OS are you using?

That screen-shot is taken from the Google Drive Wikipedia article.

The OS I use is Windows XP.

0 214
 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 11:49 PM)Pnume Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 11:41 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: what OS are you using?

That screen-shot is taken from the Google Drive Wikipedia article.

The OS I use is Windows XP.

ah, ok. I was curious because I haven't seen a desktop set up like that before. almost thought it might be a flavor of linux.

40 5,830
 05-10-2012, 12:12 AM
User Info
I don't particularly trust cloud storage for my personal files - which is why I got a pair of nice raided NAS hooked up to my home network.

12 tera of space... I'm set for a while Biggrin

3 3,580
 05-10-2012, 02:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like the thought of this honestly. I will always keep a hard backup of everything in the form of an external drive. I use iCloud to backup my iPod Touch and have never had a problem with it, and I've had to go to a backup once or twice on it. I do wonder, however, if sometime in the near future to force consumers to backup in some sort of cloud type surface, if we'll see computer manufacturers giving us smaller and smaller hard drives instead of larger ones.

116 3,804