04-18-2014, 07:27 PM
User Info
Hey Forum,

I just ordered 3 of these Klar Seifen - Sport, Classic and Sandalwood.

I don't know anything about them, but heard good stuff about the old 1 kg brick Tongue

So took the chance and Ordered 3 Klar soaps - Klar means ready in German (and Danish as well), so I hope I'm KLAR for some great soap Biggrin

[Image: klar-s-jabon-de-afeitar-sandalo-110-gr.jpg]

24 5,849
 04-18-2014, 07:45 PM
User Info
I haven't used any Klar product that wasn't really good. That goes for the incredibly priced Klar Seifen you mentioned.

I have the Sport and Classic. They're quite good performers on a par with some of the very best. The scent is a complex and strong "masculine floral" (to my sensitive nose) but not annoyingly so as some synthetic scents can be. I suspect it's not synthetic scent.

Just look at the aluminum pot wrong and it dents. The first thing I did for both of them was to put them in an ugly but functional xs size lidded food grade storage bowl.

32 6,445
 04-18-2014, 07:45 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is not the same as the brick version, this one is much better Wink

88 4,233
 04-19-2014, 05:13 AM
User Info
I have a tin of the Sport. Reminds me in scent and performance of Pre de Provence. I have used mine for travel because the diameter of the tin is rather small, and it fits well in my dop bag. No problems with the tin denting, but the paper label is certainly not water-proof.

3 543
 04-19-2014, 08:28 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Klar is truly good soap...to me, gives up little or nothing to a good tallow.
trick for extracting soap from tin, if you don't care to use in the tin:
screw on lid.
run or soak the entire tin under very hot water for a few minutes.
unscrew lid.
hold in hand, rap heels of palms smartly together, soap will partly dislodge.(about half-way)
extract soap the rest of the way.
enjoy in mug !

0 1,291
 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
(04-18-2014, 07:45 PM)beartrap Wrote: This is not the same as the brick version, this one is much better Wink

Nice Wink

(04-18-2014, 07:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I haven't used any Klar product that wasn't really good. That goes for the incredibly priced Klar Seifen you mentioned.

I have the Sport and Classic. They're quite good performers on a par with some of the very best. The scent is a complex and strong "masculine floral" (to my sensitive nose) but not annoyingly so as some synthetic scents can be. I suspect it's not synthetic scent.

Just look at the aluminum pot wrong and it dents. The first thing I did for both of them was to put them in an ugly but functional xs size lidded food grade storage bowl.

Great reading Smile

24 5,849
 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've been thinking about buying some of these recently as well Claus, as I really enjoyed a sample of Kabinett I was given, but am unsure as to which one would suit me best.

Is anyone able to clarify how strongly the Sandalwood soap is scented?

I enjoy the scent of Haslinger, T&H and TOBS Sandalwood soaps as well as T&H Sandalwood creams but haven't liked many other Sandalwood products out there.

Also, do either the Classic or Sport have strong overtones of Lavender at all or are they more of a Tabac-like smell?

33 645
 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
I personally do not think that either Klassic (which I have smelled) nor Sport (which I use) have a strong scent of lavender. To me they are an herbal blend, like I said earlier almost like Pre de Provence. Wouldn't be surprised if lavender were in the mix, but think more rosemary, sage and maybe mint. Sorry but I have never smelled Tabac. Also, I have read that the scent of the Sandalwood is faint, but do not know that as a fact myself.

3 543
 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I have the Klassic, and it smells like a classic men's cologne to me. It supposedly has a "spicy, leather" scent, but that's not how it comes across to me. Reminds me of how a lot of the shops and hotels smell in Switzerland. It's nice.

I don't know... Maybe it is a spicy leather cologne scent, after all.

As far as performance, I have a little bit of trouble with the lather quality on the 2nd and 3rd passes. I have not used it a lot due to this fact. But I'll work with it after Shave Stick Week is over.

Too bad I can't shave 2-3 times per day. There are so many adventures to be had!!

57 2,553
 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Not to distract from the topic...

But "Klar" means "clear" or "see through" in German. It can also be used in the context of "alles klar?" like "everything ready?" or "everything all right?"...

And the soaps in the metal tin are indeed very good... Biggrin

35 1,808
 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-19-2014, 02:22 PM)German Wrote: Not to distract from the topic...

But "Klar" means "clear" or "see through" in German. It can also be used in the context of "alles klar?" like "everything ready?" or "everything all right?"...

Again, not to distract from the topic, but I also assumed it meant "clear", as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,553
 04-19-2014, 03:40 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-18-2014, 07:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I haven't used any Klar product that wasn't really good. That goes for the incredibly priced Klar Seifen you mentioned.

That is certainly true. When I used to carry Klar -the tins used to come pre-dented.

46 18,089
 04-20-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info

Okay, I stand corrected then, Sir Tongue

Alles klar, Hr. Komissar Biggrin

Actually KLAR in danish also means clear or see through, but also means 'are you Ready' Smile

24 5,849
 04-20-2014, 11:57 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
[quote='CHSeifert' pid='379338'

Alles klar, Hr. Komissar :biggrin:

[/quote]

Haha, the learning doesn't end at shaving!
I enjoyed the side discussion.

57 2,553
 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM
User Info
Got my 3 Klar Seifen from Juan at Giftsandcare.

Unfortunately the Sandalwood alu container is totally smashed and banged up.
This is not ok for a soap that cost €25/$35 for 110 gram.

I wrote an email to Juan, and I'm sure he will handle it professionally as he always does, but Klar have a problem here.
Selling a top soap for a rather expensive price in containers of this poor quality just shows what I dislike about some of the more excentric soap makers.

The presentation lacks to say the least. Or maybe the container looks okay, but it's small, unhandy for brushes larger than 23 mm, which I own 50+ of, and as mentioned! the container get dented and bruised just from looking and then sneezing at them UndecidedDodgy

I really love to explore a new area for me, which is shaving soaps, and I now own 25 of the best soaps out there - but if presentation and quality of the container/pot lacks, then it has to be of Martin de Candre quality for me to even consider spending money on it. Just the way I feel about artisan soaps. Get the presentation right before you sell the soap. A nice wooden bowl cost $8-12 - get the act together before selling the soap, anything else is just unprofessional and not for me.

I can accept a Palmolive, Nivea, Proraso and La Toja shaving cream/soap to have mediocre to low quality presentation and tube/container quality because of the fair reasonable price, but when price is going up, get the presentation right or I'll dump the product before I even consider buying the stuff !

24 5,849
 04-28-2014, 10:04 PM
User Info
The packaging was one of the biggest problems with that soap for many folks. It's almost as though they haven't clue what their shave soap will be used for or how it will be used. That's why I put mine in the ugly (but functional) xs size food storage containers.

32 6,445
 04-28-2014, 11:17 PM
User Info
(04-19-2014, 02:35 PM)Nero Wrote:

Again, not to distract from the topic, but I also assumed it meant "clear", as well.

+1 for most Germanic languages

(04-28-2014, 01:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just the way I feel about artisan soaps. Get the presentation right before you sell the soap. A nice wooden bowl cost $8-12 - get the act together before selling the soap, anything else is just unprofessional and not for me.

.../... get the presentation right or I'll dump the product before I even consider buying the stuff !

Ah, I remember the times I cared about things like that as well but nowadays I care about the actual product and less about the $10 bowl. There are a slew of artisan products out there that gives top-shelf soaps serious competition. Then again...for those of us that focus on performance and less about how pretty the box is Wink

0 338