05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Dear friends, this past Sunday, my brother-in-law came over here and he brought his Omega Silver Tip and Lord Super razor, loaded with a new Derby blade. I wanted to give him a few creams and soaps which I have some spares of, and he happened to be in my bathroom, and he sniffed my QCS Vostok cream which I bought recently. He asked me if he can try a shave with it, and I said "sure, go right ahead!" Well, the young man soaked his face with hot water, wet his brush, lathered himself up, and guess what - he couldn't even finish his first WTG pass! He said that the menthol power of this cream was so overwhelming and so unbearable for him that he just could not shave with it. He rinsed his face with hot water to try to break up the menthol cooling, but he said that even so he could still feel it, and he had to wait about 20 minutes before it was finally gone. He rinsed his face again with hot water and relathered with Euro Palmolive Classic cream and finished his shave. Guys, the bottom line is, there are guys who are just not able to handle such powerful menthol from stuff like Vostok, Iced Subzero, Palmolive Menthol, or Godrej Menthol Mist. He'll never post a Menthol Monday Shave!

3 2,562
 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Jeff, a great story.

1 3,507
 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Nice story!!

1 223
 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
Jeff,
i would more than likely have not been able to use it also. Some products are just a bit too overwhelming with all their ingredients. Enjoy it if you like it and it works for you.

75 20,883
 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Then he might not like the Kiehl's Lite Flight Shave Cream for the Brush, either. I find it the most unusual of all of my menthol creams because I don't notice the menthol at all in the first pass. I begin to notice it in the second pass and OH YES! it can certainly be felt in the third pass.

Anyway, the Euro Palmolive Classic is a great cream to finish with. Smile

2 11,211
 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
User Info
I feel sorry for your brother-in-law, but lucky for you he won't be borrowing your Vostok. QCS Vostok is amazing stuff, but I am a menthol junky. It will make your eyes water sometimes. Definitely refreshing, get up and go kind of shave cream. The cold water splash after shaving with Vostok is really chilling.

21 1,477
 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
User Info
Interesting story Jeff

4 365
 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
User Info
As the kids on the internet says; cool story bro!

Since I'm on the road this week I'm using the shaving kit in my GoBag, which includes a tube of Proraso cream with menthol... caught myself wishing for something stronger (and cooler) yesterday. Sounds like the QCS Vostok might be just the thing for me... on the wishlist it goes Tongue

3 3,580
 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Theres a lot of people out there who are not fans of menthol. I'm not one of themSmile

45 3,955
 05-10-2012, 03:08 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Great story and I'm another one that will admit that I would have been in the same boat.

I like a little bit of menthol once in a while, especially to help post shave but too much and I can't take it!

I'm kinda jealous of you guys that can tolerate it and love it. I feel like I'm missing out on something good.

6 905
 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM
User Info
Interesting post. It reminds me of an article that a read a few years ago about the density of taste buds that human beings had on their tongues. Some people have a greater density of taste buds in a given area and others have relatively fewer taste buds with most of us falling somewhere in the middle. This made great sense to me of my friend Jeff who obviously has a low density and is happy eating pretty much anything and his girlfriend who can pick out different spices and sauces from fairly complex dishes.

I suspect that human scent would follow a similar pattern.
For me, the menthol/eucalyptus of Bigelow is plentyand Tabac, although I enjoy it is a little too perfumed.

3 452
 05-10-2012, 05:25 AM
User Info
Can I assume the soap is as mentholated as the cream?

9 333
 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
User Info
I hated menthol when I first used it--Ingrams--and went back to non-menthol creams and soaps. After a while I tried a cream that had a little menthol--I didn't know it--and loved it. It was up the mountain after that, I worked my way up gradually and now I want more. I'm planning on buying crystals to add to my Proraso AS.

Menthol can be addictive.

9 451
 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I can understand where he is coming from. Vostok is some STRONG stuff, definitely not something I can use on a regular basis. It will be great for lazy afternoon shaves during the summer when I'm not in school though!

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
User Info
When I first started out shaving traditionally I really got in on the menthol kick. Currently I'm off of it for the most part. Then again, I did start this journey during the summer and it's starting to get very hot and humid again. So I may be back on a menthol kick here again pretty soon.

I've experienced the Iced SubZero and it's chilling. Now I can just ice anything up though with M-Bomb as needed.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:33 AM)Tonality Wrote: I can understand where he is coming from. Vostok is some STRONG stuff, definitely not something I can use on a regular basis. It will be great for lazy afternoon shaves during the summer when I'm not in school though!

Vostok is for me a PERFECT menthol cream. That, or Iced Subzero cream or soap. If I didn't have so many of other stuffs, I would use perhaps only those 2!

3 2,562
 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
Load your brush and then try putting one or two drops of peppermint oil in it and mix it in.
I tried it and was planing on just one drop but two came out. It actually started freaking me out how cold it felt.
I had to rinse it off.

0 126
 05-12-2012, 04:09 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
There is no question that this cream is freezing cold.

3 2,562