05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info

How do I get the last bit of glue out? See pic. I don't have a dremel or any real tools.

Would re-steaming the handle soften up the remaining glue in there enough to be scraped out easily? I don't want to ruin the handle by over-steaming it.

0 189
 05-10-2012, 01:10 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm not sure what you're planning to do, but those remains of glue aren't going to prevent a new knot for being properly glued, if that's what you're afraid of.

If you want the handle only, without tools, you might try to get some sandpaper and remove the remains by hand.

Just my 0.02 Biggrin

4 313
 05-10-2012, 02:52 AM
User Info
I've used a dremel-like rotary tool. Quick and effective! But if you don't have one, maybe you can use some sandpaper, like Leon said.

2 5,527
 05-10-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
The only issue that would require any major sanding is if you want to clear a larger knot. If the knot is able to fit, the gents that posted earlier have supplied the answer.

1 2,827
 05-10-2012, 03:47 AM
User Info
Guys, there is still too much glue the socket to properly seat the new knot.

0 189
 05-10-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 03:47 AM)cvac Wrote: Guys, there is still too much glue the socket to properly seat the new knot.

In general I've read that lightly scratched or irregular surfaces allow for better epoxying experiences. Of course, it it's too irregular so that you can't get the knot in the handle, that's a problem.

I'm wondering if the same process that allowed for the knot to be removed would soften the remaining glue allowing for scraping with the tip of a flat-bladed screwdriver?

3 452
 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
I used a Dremel on mine. Be careful because you don't want to go through the inner shelf where the glue is. Just take your time.

Clayton

6 617
 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
I think he's saying that the hole is too shallow for the new knot.
A coarse grit paper wrapped over a dowel should work if you don't have any other tools.

9 451
 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-09-2012, 07:09 PM)cvac Wrote: How do I get the last bit of glue out? See pic. I don't have a dremel or any real tools.

Would re-steaming the handle soften up the remaining glue in there enough to be scraped out easily? I don't want to ruin the handle by over-steaming it.

Hi

Like yourself I don't have a Dremel...

After removing the knot via a steam bath I've used the following tools to remove the remaining glue:
  1. Cordless drill with various size drill bits to remove the remaining glue plug. Start by drilling a number of small holes, if you're lucky the remaining glue will start to come (fall) out easily, if luck isn't on your side move onto larger diameter drill bits. Wrap the drill bits with some tape ie Wrap tape around the drill bits at the depth you need to drill to.
  2. After removing as much glue as possible with the drill, a narrow width (old) wood chisel can be used to slice through any remaining glue, just be careful not to exert pressure (force) on the walls of the knot hole (something I did once, see here).
  3. For final glue cleanup work through medium, fine and extra fine coarse sandpapers.
Before gluing in new knot, wash the handle in warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, then allow to dry completely -- this stage will remove any dust etc that may lead to a poor glue up.

Good luck Smile

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have used a knife just to get rid of the remaining glue/epoxy on the Vulfix Grosvenor handle.But I did it while the handle was still "hot" (right after the steaming bath).It was pretty easy to removed the glue/epoxy.

86 7,123
 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
I read in another forum to use a forstner bit. I have used them for knot removal from three vintage handles - works unbelievably well. I am using a hand held cordless drill and just taking my time.

8 240
 05-15-2012, 04:19 AM
User Info
I have typically just used a small screwdriver and gently scraped / chipped away at the glue. Generally once you manage to break off a small chunk the rest come out a few seconds later.

YMMV

1 7