04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
I understand the results of razor & blade combinations are unique for everyone. Still, I wonder if there’s a blade you can recommend or that I should wait, for a first-time OC razor.

I’m a newbie at DE shaving and will be trying my new Muhle R41 razor tomorrow morning with a 4-day old beard. Without any recommendations here, I’ll start with a Feather New Hi-Stainless Steel blade.

I started with a Lord L6 razor with a Lord platinum blade (included with razor) in early April. Those were close and comfortable shaves. Then changed to a Feather New Hi-Stainless steel blade which I considered a bit more aggressive (or maybe my confidence was more aggressive).

I have a thick beard with sensitive skin so I now have an extensive beard cleaning/softening process with a shower and cleaning first, wet the face with hot water, floss, apply Proraso Green pre-shave, brush teeth, then lather Proraso Green shaving cream (tube) with a brush onto my face for a couple of minutes. I do three passes, clean with warm water, rinse with cold water, get dressed, than splash Proraso Green aftershave.

Here are other blades from a sampler I received today:

- 7AM Plus Hi Platinum
- Astra Stainless
- Astra Superior Premium Platinum
- Crystal
- Derby Extra
- Dorco ST300
- Gillette 7-Oclock Sharp Edge
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Kai
- Lord Super Stainless Steel
- Pol Silver
- Red Pack Personna Platinum
- Shark Super Chrome
- Shark Super Stainless
- Treet Platinum Stainless

I appreciate any feedback.

0 21
 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Personally, I'd give a Red Pack Personna a try. The R41 is a pretty aggressive razor without a lot of room for error, and Red IPs are good, middle of the road blades with some forgiveness in them.

0 1,137
 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
User Info
Astra SP. They work fantastic for me in every razor I've put them in.

2 806
 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
User Info
Thanks for your advice guys.

I ended up using a Feather New Hi-Stainless Steel blade and got a CCS (Close, Comfortable Shave). The feedback I received from several BBs on my blade selection question was mostly about using a light touch with the R41, and that blade selection was up to me. So I decided on that blade as it was the same as I used last week and wanted to see the difference between razors.

The R41 is without a doubt more aggressive than my Lord L6. I expect the R41 will quickly become a great tool in my shaving ritual. After mastering my technique, my shaves will be BBS!

I’ll also enjoy discovering the most effective blades for me.

0 21
 04-22-2014, 12:39 PM
User Info
The Kai blade is similar to the Feather, in my expeience.

The Polsilver is my favorite blade of all time. I would recommend the Polsilver in any type of DE razor, be it safety bar, open comb, or slant.

Give it a try and see what you think. I don't use any other blade anymore.

2 1,548
 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM
User Info
I don't have the R41, but I have 6 OC's with the FaTip Piccolo being the most aggressive. My preferred blades with all of them are Gillette Silver Blue's and Polsilver's.

8 159
 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM
User Info
I got and Muhle R41 Shark - 2011 today and had a great shave with a Gillette Silver blue, i also like the Gillette Platinum very much.

1 202
 05-20-2014, 04:48 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(05-20-2014, 01:37 PM)Nuno Sá Wrote: I got and Muhle R41 Shark - 2011 today and had a great shave with a Gillette Silver blue, i also like the Gillette Platinum very much.

These are exactly what I was going to recommend... G.Silv.Blues, G.Plats... also out of the tester packs the OP mentions, try Personna Reds, Polsilver Iridium/ or stainless, Astra Superior Plats and even Treet Plats!...These blades are all very sharp, but a bit smoother IMO than Feather and Kai for the sharp end of the spectrum.

The other blades in your sampler that I haven't listed above may give you great results like the Gillette Sharp Edges, LORD Stainless and Astra Stainless, but generally are both less sharp, and less smooth than other blades I mentioned first out of your sampler. Enjoy your shaves and experimentation!

4 794
 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
The Dorco ST300 probably won't work for you. It is a forgiving blade that is good with a light beard, probably the ideal blade for a teenager just starting to shave. It's a blade that doesn't do well with a heavy or very coarse beard. (The ST301 is a sharper blade, but you don't appear to have it.)

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-22-2014, 10:39 PM
User Info
Astra SP.

40 5,830
 05-23-2014, 12:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Super Iridium is my preferred DE blade.

99 18,011