05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
My newest acquisition as far as razors go, the Feather Popular is a mild and kind razor of mixed construction.
[Image: shave-14.jpg]
I picked the Popular up for less than 10£, but for being a cheap razor it certainly has a lot going for it. Build quality isn't the highest, but better than most cartridge razors I've tried and heads and shoulders over any disposables I've seen. The Twist To Open head features stamped and pressed metal doors mounted on a plastic base, while the long handle is all plastic. If you should happen to drop the Popular the thin doors is likely to be knocked out of shape, but so might the doors on a more expensive TTO razor.
As mentioned the Popular is a mild razor - so mild in fact that I feel it should be paired with an aggressive blade. It makes a very fine job of taming the wicked sharp Feather Hi Stainless blades, giving a smooth, comfortable shave on the most obnoxious stubble. The long handle gives plenty of control to the Popular, but if you should prefer short handled razors you're out of luck - unless you want to get a sharp knife out and shorten the handle yourself. The light weight makes it somewhat tempting to increase the pressure while shaving, but like any DE razor this is best avoided. It's safety bar is plastic, which probably is what causes the ever so slight tendency of the Popular to want to go sideways while shaving. Not a big issue, just something to be aware of.
The Popular quickly made itself part of my rotation. It is an excellent first razor since a newbie can try traditional wetshaving for little money, the Popular would make a wonderful travel razor if I didn't already own one, and it would be a good fit for any wetshaver looking for a mild razor - even if the look and design wont win the Feather Popular any prices.

3 3,554
 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hans, nice review and I agree with everything you said. I have two of these razors and one is packed in my travel bag along with one of my Wee Scot brushes. I've never had any problem with the razors and I have owned them for about two years. I get a very smooth three pass shave with them. I use the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue blades in mine.

173 23,488
 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review. I've been curios about this razor and how well it works. It's one I will consider now because of it's price point and the fact it's a mild razor which I prefer.

45 3,955
 05-10-2012, 02:14 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I still want to try one of these. I put it on my list and every time I have money in my paypal account, I forget about it.

116 3,804
 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-10-2012, 02:14 AM)Dave Wrote: I still want to try one of these. I put it on my list and every time I have money in my paypal account, I forget about it.

Transfer your money into my PayPal account and I will order you one.Biggrin

173 23,488
 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I think this is the DE razor I will be suggesting to friends that show an interest in switching over to wet shaving. Thank you for the great review!

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
Great review, Hans! i have one and for the price, it is a great razor!

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 02:37 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I finally got a Feather Popular and had a great shave with it this morning. If I had to compare it to another razor, it would be a Schick Krona. I'll gladly start using this one on mornings after I've had a rough shave with something else.

116 3,804
 06-09-2012, 03:44 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hans,
Your review of the Feather razor is quite informative and well done. The razor would be far too mild for me, but I'm glad I learned about it. Good show.

132 2,614
 06-09-2012, 04:03 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, I don't think I'll be adding one to my rotation, but it seems like a good idea for travelling.

91 17,795
 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM
User Info
I like my Feather Popular too. I took it on a longish trip and I figured out how to get it to shave as well as any other DE razor (including aggressive ones). This is one comfortable shaver.

See my review here: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-feather-...er+popular.

37 1,731
 06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Ben if you want to give this one a test run and shipping down under isn't incredible let me know and I'll let you give it a test run.

116 3,804