04-21-2014, 04:23 PM
User Info
I recently acquired a tin of Tiki Spice Island (vegan) and really enjoy the scent and post shave feel. As far as performance goes, it's really good, just not great for me.

I was wondering how the vegan formulation compares to her tallow formulation. For me, slickness and post-shave are most important. The vegan has the post-shave nailed, but it is not as slick as some other soaps I have tried.

Can anyone who has used both the tallow and the vegan compare the two? Which is better?

32 344
 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
User Info
If you aren't finding it slick then let me suggest that you load less. This was my initial problem with Tiki. I loaded too much and the lather was actually kinda sticky.

31 8,055
 04-21-2014, 05:47 PM
User Info
I really like Tiki Bar. I've used the vegan Land Locked 4 times. First time I overloaded. Next three I cut down the soap and used more water. To me the soap is great! Slick, cushiony, and protective. Its a keeper for me.

0 113
 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
The tallow version of Spice Islands is probably my favorite soap right now. I wish I could help, but I haven't tried the vegan yet. I need to e-mail Amanda and ask her about the shelf-life of this stuff. I'd feel better if I had around 50 lbs of it squirreled away.........

0 272
 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM
User Info
I ordered one of each on Friday for this exact reason.

25 241
 04-22-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
(04-21-2014, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: If you aren't finding it slick then let me suggest that you load less. This was my initial problem with Tiki. I loaded too much and the lather was actually kinda sticky.

I had kind of the same problem my first time lathering WSO soaps. These new artisan soaps are so simple to load, it's easy to over-do it!

10 2,062
 04-22-2014, 06:00 AM
User Info
I prefer the vegan version of the Set Sail, my Land Locked with tallow I think it's a have worse post shave Cool

8 1,676
 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM
User Info
(04-22-2014, 05:52 AM)taborcarn Wrote:
(04-21-2014, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: If you aren't finding it slick then let me suggest that you load less. This was my initial problem with Tiki. I loaded too much and the lather was actually kinda sticky.

I had kind of the same problem my first time lathering WSO soaps. These new artisan soaps are so simple to load, it's easy to over-do it!

It's weird that you guys say this. I have found that with certain soaps, including tiki that if I don't load more than I usually would, I get thin, disintegrating lather. I found this to be true for LA Shaving soap as well. If I load for 20 seconds, thin, airy but slick lather. If I load for 45 seconds, thick, yogurty slick lather.

I will give this a shot though next time with tiki and maybe pay more attention to my water/soap ratio. I tend to not use enough water.

32 344
 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM
User Info
(04-22-2014, 06:17 AM)fbones24 Wrote: It's weird that you guys say this. I have found that with certain soaps, including tiki that if I don't load more than I usually would, I get thin, disintegrating lather. I found this to be true for LA Shaving soap as well. If I load for 20 seconds, thin, airy but slick lather. If I load for 45 seconds, thick, yogurty slick lather.

I will give this a shot though next time with tiki and maybe pay more attention to my water/soap ratio. I tend to not use enough water.

Well the case for me is that I normally load every soap (but MdC) for 60 seconds, and I've had to scale these new ones back to 45 Biggrin

10 2,062
 04-22-2014, 08:27 AM
User Info
Dry loading is how I do it. With this method and the soaps I use I need no longer than 20s to load anything. No lather destroying air bubbles. Just solid soapy goodness that keeps things slick and cushy. I also cheat though by using a synthetic brush. I can't get this kind of lather this quickly and easily with any badger, boar, or horse.

31 8,055
 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM
User Info
Guys I'm dying here, I still need to know the differences between Tiki's tallow and vegan. If I don't find out soon I'm going to buy each scent in both versions. Save me from myself.

4 355
 05-01-2014, 05:17 AM
User Info
I'd like to know myself. I love the vegan stuff, but haven't tried the tallow. I agree that about 20 seconds loading (or less) is all I've needed for great lather with Tiki.

I have an extra unopened puck of Vegan Surfs Up that was supposed to be tallow so I could tell the difference, but there was a mixup in the order (probably my fault because of going back and forth on some custom scent questions in the order).

9 112
 05-01-2014, 05:29 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(04-22-2014, 08:27 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Dry loading is how I do it. With this method and the soaps I use I need no longer than 20s to load anything. No lather destroying air bubbles. Just solid soapy goodness that keeps things slick and cushy. I also cheat though by using a synthetic brush. I can't get this kind of lather this quickly and easily with any badger, boar, or horse.

Do you wet/soak the soap with water pre-shave?

(04-30-2014, 09:58 PM)Shakamoto Wrote: Guys I'm dying here, I still need to know the differences between Tiki's tallow and vegan. If I don't find out soon I'm going to buy each scent in both versions. Save me from myself.

Go ahead. Buy the soap. You know you want to.

0 1,137
 05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
User Info
The main difference as I understand it is ingredients. For me the addition of lanolin and kokum butter in the tallow makes for a nicer post shave feel. Think MWF when you think of Tiki Tallow.

Tallow:
Ingredients: Grass fed beef tallow, stearic acid, coconut oil, castor oil, kokum butter, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, vegetable glycerin, fragrance, lanolin alcohol.

Vegan
Ingredients: Saponified stearic acid, saponified coconut acid (from cocamide mea and cocos nucifera oil), vegetable glycerin, fragrance.

19 881
 05-04-2014, 06:09 PM
User Info
(05-01-2014, 05:29 AM)Elendil Wrote:
(04-22-2014, 08:27 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Dry loading is how I do it. With this method and the soaps I use I need no longer than 20s to load anything. No lather destroying air bubbles. Just solid soapy goodness that keeps things slick and cushy. I also cheat though by using a synthetic brush. I can't get this kind of lather this quickly and easily with any badger, boar, or horse.

Do you wet/soak the soap with water pre-shave?

Yes, I do. Then I dump the water off before loading with a dry synthetic brush.

31 8,055
 05-05-2014, 05:59 AM
User Info
Alright, I'm ready to render my verdict.

The winner is.......... VEGGIE.

And it just may be the best performing soap I've ever used.

25 241
 05-05-2014, 06:48 AM
User Info
I have a puck of each on the way, so hopefully I will be able to compare them soon.

10 2,062
 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 06:48 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I have a puck of each on the way, so hopefully I will be able to compare them soon.

I'm really looking forward to your comparison so don't forget. I have Spice Island and Grand Cru. Does anyone know if Grand Cru is Veggie or Tallow?

After my initial "meh" impression of Tiki, I think it is becoming my favorite soap. I have figured out how to dial in the lather and I feel silly for jumping to conclusions on this one. I am going to be ordering more from her, but would love some more opinions on the Veg/Tallow comparison.

32 344
 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have two Tiki veggie soaps on the way. While I'm a huge tallow fan, I just had a feeling I might prefer their veggie formula (based on absolutely nothing). I'll be curious if you guys are finding the tallow version better as I may have to go back and order some of that Tongue

34 1,628
 05-06-2014, 07:04 AM
User Info
(05-06-2014, 06:46 AM)fbones24 Wrote:
(05-05-2014, 06:48 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I have a puck of each on the way, so hopefully I will be able to compare them soon.

I'm really looking forward to your comparison so don't forget. I have Spice Island and Grand Cru. Does anyone know if Grand Cru is Veggie or Tallow?

After my initial "meh" impression of Tiki, I think it is becoming my favorite soap. I have figured out how to dial in the lather and I feel silly for jumping to conclusions on this one. I am going to be ordering more from her, but would love some more opinions on the Veg/Tallow comparison.

I haven't gotten the shipping confirmation yet, but her site says there is currently a 3-5 business day processing time so I'm not worried. But I will definitely post my thoughts in this thread once I've had the chance to try both.

I wouldn't say I'm a tallow guy or a veggie guy, since I've had several soaps of both types that I'm impressed with (Mike's, B&M, LASS, Dapper Dragon, even Mama Bear). So I think I can compare them pretty objectively.

10 2,062