04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
I wanted to update TSN on what has been going on at BSBC.

1. New Scent-Orange and Ylang Ylang-this soap is made with orange and ylang ylang essential oils. It opens with top notes of sweet orange followed up with the sweet, exotic, floral scent of Ylang Ylang.

2. Tins are now available: They are the large 8 ounce tins with Dimensions: 4.0" width x 1.4" height

3. Labeling has been changed to distinguish our bath soaps from our shaving soap line. We have updated our shaving soap label (let me know what you think!)

4. Our website has been updated to reflect the new labeling changes

5. We get a lot of questions regarding the beer in the soap-Does it smell like beer? Absolutely Not-There is no beer smell at all in our soaps-our soaps would smell the same as if they were made with water instead of beer. The soaps will smell like the fragrance or essential oils that are used

As a side note: Please remember that as of April 1st, most scents have been changed and/or updated.

Again, I can't thank TSN and its members enough!!

http://beersoapbrewingcompany.com/shaving-soap/

1 184
 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
I've heard conflicting answers to this question, so I'll ask you. If the scent doesn't come along, what is the beer adding to the soap?

10 1,858
 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(04-22-2014, 11:01 AM)Songwind Wrote: I've heard conflicting answers to this question, so I'll ask you. If the scent doesn't come along, what is the beer adding to the soap?

I'm curious about this too.

58 1,312
 04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
User Info
Good question Eric. I will give a relevant response as well as a non relevant response

Relevant:
This is based on my experience of soaping for over 7 years and making beer soaps and non beer soaps using probably over 50 different beers, as well as research.

1. Beer helps to promote lather. Well, not really the beer, but the sugars in beer. As you know, soap makers add different things to soaps like salt to make a harder bar, clays to help scents stick, etc. Just like some people use Tussah Silk, Silk, or Silk Proteins to increase lather, I use beer. This is no trade secret as soapers have used sugar in handmade soap for years. Of course, you can use any type of sugar (granulated, honey, etc.) I have made multiple soap batches using beer and just water, and I have a much easier time building a thick lather with beer(with my soap.) This also held true for people that I got to test when they did not know if it was beer or water. As with anything in wet shaving, YMMV

2. Here is a shampoo that I use which is made with beer: They provide insights into beer as well: http://www.broo.com/why-craft-beer.php

3. I will clarify the scents: Some beer soap, when left unscented, will carry a distinct smell. For example, Guinness will smell nutty/Red Stripe smells real sweet. These scents are only slightly detected by sticking the soap right up to my nose. Many unscented beer soaps have no smell at all. So when fragrance oils or essential oils are used, the only thing the soaps smell like are the scents of which they are made-same as a soap made from water

Non Relevant:
I started making soap, and while I enjoyed the process, I really couldn't get into it. It just did not appeal to me making honey and almond soap with ground rose petals in it. Making beer soap did. I enjoyed the concept of making a soap based on the beer like using a beer brewed with actual Lavender to make a soap that smelled like Lavender or an IPA that smells like woods and citrus to making the soap smell like woods/citrus with essential oils. I rarely drink, but I do enjoy a good craft beer from time to time, so this only made sense to me. When I started out with just bath soaps, the majority of my customers were women who would buy soaps based on their significant others favorite beer. As a growing fan of wet shaving, it only made sense to start making my own shaving soap. I did not intend to ever sell my soaps, but when I branched out into shaving soaps, I carried the concept over. Our Bay Rum soap is made with a Jamaican Lager, our Italian Bergamot beer is made from an Italian beer, etc. For some people, it can bring a new level of interest into picking out a soap based on the beer, for others, they don't really care as long as it smells good and performs good.

So to recap: Beer makes an easier lather, and beer soap does not smell like beer. I would not be able to shave with my own soap, nor would anybody every buy my soap if it smelled like Budweiser (well, maybe a couple of people would)

1 184
 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
User Info
Excellent explanation, but I could have summed it up for you much quicker.

Beer makes everything better! Biggrin

I do not own any of your soaps, but I like the new packaging and plan to in the near future.

32 344
 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
Very cool, Kevin. I knew about the sugars, but totally failed to put two and two together about beer.

10 1,858
 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
hmmmmmm.... very good explanation! Thanks so much for explaining that!

58 1,312
 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Welcome back Kevin

46 18,075
 07-06-2014, 09:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-06-2014, 08:43 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Welcome back Kevin

Yes Kevin, welcome back.

175 23,752
 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM
User Info
Let me throw one in there too...Welcome Back Kevin !!!

0 22
 07-06-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
That was an Awesome Explanation and I intend to buy a Puck! I have so many pucks on the way that I will need about a months time before I add more. But your soap is the very next on my list and I can't wait to give it a whirl!

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM
User Info
Hey Kevin, I had a question regarding your Blue and Italian Bergamot shave soap. They are both described as having a Barbershop scent and I was wondering what the main difference is and which has more of a powdery scent? Which would you prefer if you were using Floid Blue AS?

Thanks!

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
The Blue has a more powder scent to it. It was modeled after Floid Blue. IBP has more of a sharper barbershop scent with little to no powder scent to it. To me, it sounds like you're looking more for the Blue scent. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Kevin

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1 184
 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
User Info
Sounds like the Blue is for me!

Thanks Kevin!

46 1,102
 09-05-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
TWO NEW SCENTS AVAILABLE IN OUR NON TALLOW LINE

[Image: R3xeujw.jpg]

La Habana is a scent combination of black tea, tobacco, & cognac with a hint of citrus.

[Image: RKspZgG.jpg]

Satsuma is a a Citrus dominated scent. Sweet Orange has been combined with subtle hints of Violet and Patchouli to add character and depth

I appreciate all your support so far, and as always, if you have any questions, please let me know!

Kevin

http://beersoapbrewingcompany.com/shop

1 184
 09-07-2014, 10:48 AM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
I picked up the new Satsuma, and let me be the first to say that the scent is intoxicating. You will find yourself smelling the tub over and over trying to figure out this complex citrus blend. Its unique and doesnt smell like anything else out there, but is no doubt one that I'm glad is in my collection. The non-tallow line is a softer texture, but still a breeze to lather and generates a thick protective face cloud. Im looking forward to trying out that new Habana scent. Thanks for the new additions Kevin, and keep up the great work.

19 277
 09-08-2014, 11:52 AM
User Info
I'm hoping more tallow soaps are coming. I don't have anything against non-tallow, but if given a choice I usually pick the tallow based ones.

16 249
 09-10-2014, 05:33 AM
User Info
I have some samples given by a friend, must try them.

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

13 1,313
 09-25-2014, 08:22 PM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
Heads UP!! The Non Tallow soaps are on sale right now for only $5.99!!

I just ordered a pair of the new scents. Go and get them gents...

http://beersoapbrewingcompany.com/

19 277
 09-25-2014, 11:39 PM
User Info
(09-08-2014, 11:52 AM)shakermaker41 Wrote: I'm hoping more tallow soaps are coming. I don't have anything against non-tallow, but if given a choice I usually pick the tallow based ones.

I usually go for tallow too but you have to try the BSBC non-tallow formula, it's magic.

4 355