05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
User Info
I was watching a YouTube video by a guy from the Netherlands shaving with a New Gillette Open Comb. He starts by saying he stores his blade in olive oil and he has gotten 11 shaves from the Dorco blade already.

Has anyone else tried this or other methods for prolonging the shaving life of a blade?

21 1,479
 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
User Info
I usually just rinse the razor and blade in hot water, shake and let dry... but then, with blades being cheap I see no reason to eke out as many shaves as possible of them.

Suggestions found online range from storing the blade under oil via cleaning with alcohol to storing in alcohol. The basic idea seems to be - and it makes sense - to displace the water that might cause rust. YMMV off course, but to me it sounds like that would be more important if your blade of choice is made from carbon steel (as opposed to stainless steel).

3 3,580
 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I woulden't be conserned about making blades last longer. There cheap and should be discrded as soon as there not giving a top notch shave anymore.

45 3,955
 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
User Info
If it's carbon steel I put a few drops of mineral oil (MO) top and bottom of the blade at installation. After the shave I loosen the mechanism, rinse, shake it off and put another drop of MO top and bottom of the blade. I don't like CS blades because of the extra effort. I'm retired, I don't like anything that requires me to do anything. It's old folks rebellion I guess. Biggrin

If it's a SS blade I just loosen the mechanism, rinse, and shake it off. No big deal; nothing special.

You'll find lots of meaningless rituals expounded in the pages of blade shaving IMO. If it makes you feel better to do them , well, OK, go for it. But you asked; that's good.

Maybe hand stropping does something, but I'll never know. Blades are inexpensive and an edge will never get that close to my skin when not surrounded by a safety razor unless I'm handling it like a hazardous material. It's only a few cents per shave, my skin is worth far more than that. Blades are inexpensive.

To my mind it makes far more sense to find the blades that last the longest w/o playing games with them.

FWIW, I may be unusual, but I test DE blades for quality and # of shaves. If a DE blade doesn't deliver at least 7 quality shaves from mild razors to the most aggressive then it doesn't pass muster. SE blades normally give me an average of 14 BBS shaves, the number varies, but 14 would be the average. That's w/o doing anything but shaving.

Maybe if I did some ritual my SE blade expense per shave may move from $.017 cents to maybe something less meaningful? That's in the realm of not worth the effort.

You get my meaning? How cheaply do you value your skin? Blades are inexpensive. Stock up, they'll only get more expensive as our dollar is inflated. You'll get far more value by stocking up rather than by playing blade games IMO. When currency inflates, "things" rise in value as the currency becomes worth less. In other words, material goods become more expensive, so stock up now and put them on the shelf. I suggest SS blades since they resist rust.

I've been testing DE blades for over a year. When my testing is done I'll post the results, but it'll only be meaningful for folks who favor a sharp and smooth blade. For a blade to pass it has to deliver at least 7 great shaves in razors from mild to agressive, most of the shaves in aggressive razors. Of course as anyone knows, YMMV, nowhere more than in blades.

32 6,311
 05-10-2012, 02:15 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I just honestly use blades I know will last longer. I can get about 7 shaves out of a Med Prep, 5 or 6 out of a Gillette Yellow, and 4 or 5 out of an Astra SP.

116 3,804
 05-10-2012, 02:59 AM
User Info
Water is the true enemy of the blade in terms of degration.
After each shave I dunk the head of my razor in 91 - 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and remove after 3 seconds and let the evaporative process do its work to remove the water.

1 2,827
 05-10-2012, 04:37 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
ShadowsDad hit on all the reasons I don't do anything extra to make a blade last longer. I get about 7 shaves from my Gem SE blades and I've got about 250 stock piled. I didn't pay over $50 for 300 blades, I'm not really going to put any extra effort into making them last longer. And I've shaved less then five times with my Gem this year since discovering the Cobra Classic. I get about 14 shaves from a Kai Mild blade. It just isn't worth it to me to try and get more shaves from the blades.

If I was really concerned about getting the most shaves per blade I'd use a traditional straight razor and get thousands of shaves per blade.

7 1,018
 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM
User Info
Gary, when I shave with my Gillettes, Gems and other brass razors I dunk in the 91% alcohol, as well. With my Futur and Webers with DLC and ARC, I just "strop" briefly on a towel or take the blade out and blot dry, because I am afraid I will damage those special finishes with alcohol.

ShadowsDad, I definitely am growing a large stock of blades, as well.

This week, I cleaned up my Rolls razor and have been honing and stropping and will never have to worry about buying blades. It's just a lot of work to get that blade into shape.

21 1,479
 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I have a mixture of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide I dip the head of my razor in after every shave. Though this is more for the antiseptic properties, it does help with removing all water from the blade which supposedly prolongs the life. However I'm not too concerned with blade longevity since they are so cheap.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
With my coarse beard, any DE blade will only last 5-6 shaves, so trying to extend them past that is pointless for me as i have not found a way to do it. i have had good results with the Feather Pro SE blades for my Cobra lasting up to 15 shaves, but usually 10-12 is more common.

75 20,883
 05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:35 AM)Tonality Wrote: I have a mixture of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide I dip the head of my razor in after every shave. Though this is more for the antiseptic properties, it does help with removing all water from the blade which supposedly prolongs the life. However I'm not too concerned with blade longevity since they are so cheap.

Like you, keeping the razor free from gunk and the antiseptic properties are my real reason for doing it. If a blade last one shave longer, then that is an extra benefit.

1 2,827
 05-10-2012, 05:41 PM
User Info
The most I do is hand strop my SE blades after use.

31 7,914
 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The only blade that gives me successful multiple shaves is the SUPER IRIDIUM, the majority of my other blades I discard after only 2 shaves. I can shave with an Iridium for a week (which is 5-6 shaves for me)!

I don't employ any techniques to get more from my blades other than removing them from my razor between uses.

When you look at the cost per blade, I'm relatively happy NOT to go to any extreme or time consuming measures to get an extra and probably average shave out of one...

91 17,875
 05-11-2012, 12:53 AM
User Info
I don't do anything special. Just a good rinse.

7 1,179
 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM
User Info
I just don't bother with blade longevity, I toss the blade whenever I feel it's needed. I rather ensure a good shave than risk it by trying to stretch the life of the blade.

0 68
 05-11-2012, 01:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-11-2012, 12:58 AM)Tony SC Wrote: I just don't bother with blade longevity, I toss the blade whenever I feel it's needed. I rather ensure a good shave than risk it by trying to stretch the life of the blade.

This is my philosophy also...

91 17,875
 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
Think about how you value your time. I'm using blades that cost 9 to 18 cents each, bulk purchase. With a simple rinse and shake after each use, I usually get 3 shaves per blade. So my cost for blades is 3 to 6 cents per shave. Even if I knew of some procedure that would double blade life (and the things I've tried do far less than that), the return for my effort would be no more than 3 cents per day. You can do your own calculation, and make your own judgement.

0 1
 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM
  • mandoman
  • Southern California
User Info
how long do you want the blade to last? i get about five good shaves out of one blade before i changing it

0 34
 05-31-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info
how do I make a blade last longer?

decrease the frequency of my shaves.

3 shaves and I throw it away.

4 309
 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
User Info
For DE blades - ignore the warning on the package and wipe dry. Just do it in the opposite direction from which you shave. Not length wise. Oh, and be careful.

For SE blades - remove, pat dry, hand strop.

Back in the Mach III days, there was a product called RazorMax that was some kind of Mineral Oil with a container for soaking the razor's head between shaves. Even had a travel kit with a little mirror, tiny strop and tight plastic case.

If I want to play with oils and strops though - that's what straights are for.

12 96