04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
In an effort to preserve the plating on my razors, I'm wondering if anyone waxes there most used razors? I was thinking that every so often it might be useful to wax my most loved razors.

18 194
 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM
User Info
I never do but I would think a light amount of chrome polish would do the trick. I keep my razors off the counter and out of harms way except for the one I am using.

122 13,221
 04-23-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
Back when I collected vintage Gillettes, I coated them occasionally with Renaissance Wax, which I think protected them well.

207 12,367
 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
User Info
Maybe, but consider this... Wax is only one molecule thick and quite soft. When soap is applied (to essentially remove that wax) how long will it last when applied to the face and the brush known as whiskers? Try it, but for me it's a non-starter.

I don't clean my razors all that often because I find the soap buildup to be a natural sort of protection. If it wasn't, it wouldn't build up. OK, FWIW, the build up doesn't happen where it really counts and where the real plating wear will occur, and in fact it's quite soft also. But I'm stickin' to my hypothesis, at least for now. :-)

If we have enough razors we won't need to replate in our lifetimes if they are newly plated for our use. (hint)

But I like the way you think! I try to minimize the wear on my cherished razors as well and I tend to take care of those items that take care of me. IMO a good lather with high lubricity goes a long way for both plating life and blade life. Too, soap is cheap and that sort of lather is also the easiest on the skin during the shave.

But the best answer is, of course, for the razor, a SS razor (IMO). But the razors I most cherish aren't made of SS, but plated brass. It was state of the art 100 years ago.

Oh well! Can't have it all.

32 6,471
 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
(04-23-2014, 01:34 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Back when I collected vintage Gillettes, I coated them occasionally with Renaissance Wax, which I think protected them well.

That's what I do with straight razors.

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I don't think wax would help too much, or for too long because soap will indeed break the wax molecules down quickly. Worst case scenario the wax may have abrasives not being pure wax, and therefor will remove, possibly damage a more delicate surface. With cars someone should never use non automotive specific soap to clean a waxed car...it will strip the wax in one or two washes(automotive soap/shampoo has no detergent or actual soap in its ingredients to help preserve the wax). I think mineral oil and reasonably careful handling of your razor is best. Some specific metal polishes like Flitz works great at creating a shine, and seems to have a water/soap repelling effect...it is also abrasive free polish that will not damage or thin the surface your looking to protect.

4 794
 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
User Info
I had never even heard of this until now! Blush

83 21,115
 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
User Info
Thanks men - very good pro and con. I'm probably worrying excessively over the plating on my razors. Keeping them clean and dry, together with good lather is likely good enough.

I am glad I asked - thanks again! -David

18 194
 04-24-2014, 05:48 AM
User Info
(04-23-2014, 07:03 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I don't think wax would help too much, or for too long because soap will indeed break the wax molecules down quickly. Worst case scenario the wax may have abrasives not being pure wax, and therefor will remove, possibly damage a more delicate surface. With cars someone should never use non automotive specific soap to clean a waxed car...it will strip the wax in one or two washes(automotive soap/shampoo has no detergent or actual soap in its ingredients to help preserve the wax). I think mineral oil and reasonably careful handling of your razor is best. Some specific metal polishes like Flitz works great at creating a shine, and seems to have a water/soap repelling effect...it is also abrasive free polish that will not damage or thin the surface your looking to protect.

I agree with almost everything you said in this post except for the part about Flitz being a non-abrasive polish. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a non-abrasive polish; if it were non-abrasive, it wouldn't work as a polish.

I agree that as metal polishes go, Flitz is very gentle. But if someone were to go overboard with the Flitz, it would eventually remove plating.

2 1,557
 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(04-24-2014, 05:48 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(04-23-2014, 07:03 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I don't think wax would help too much, or for too long because soap will indeed break the wax molecules down quickly. Worst case scenario the wax may have abrasives not being pure wax, and therefor will remove, possibly damage a more delicate surface. With cars someone should never use non automotive specific soap to clean a waxed car...it will strip the wax in one or two washes(automotive soap/shampoo has no detergent or actual soap in its ingredients to help preserve the wax). I think mineral oil and reasonably careful handling of your razor is best. Some specific metal polishes like Flitz works great at creating a shine, and seems to have a water/soap repelling effect...it is also abrasive free polish that will not damage or thin the surface your looking to protect.

I agree with almost everything you said in this post except for the part about Flitz being a non-abrasive polish. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a non-abrasive polish; if it were non-abrasive, it wouldn't work as a polish.

I agree that as metal polishes go, Flitz is very gentle. But if someone were to go overboard with the Flitz, it would eventually remove plating.

I would have agreed w/you completely before reading the claims on a bottle of Flitz...I had to check because what you say makes sense in regards to polish having abrasives, but check out the claims...
[Image: HoTzraA.jpg]

[Image: 6fhD7Vt.jpg]

4 794
 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
No. I don't use wax. I will use Flitz for most metals or Hagerty Silver Polish for silver plated razors.

1 2,827
 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM
User Info
kingfisher, LB, and GDC - thanks for your input! I will continue with my occasional touchup with Flitz if needed, and keeping the surfaces clean and dry. Then Que Sera, Sera... I think that was a song in the 50s?

18 194
 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM
User Info
Glitz is great. Will sometimes use jewelry cleaner.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 67
 05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried re-plating? Is there a service for this? Is it pricey? I'll have a look around to see if there are easily accessible if we don't have a source for referral.

0 135