04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
User Info
Has anyone experienced a difference with cold/warm/hot water when creating their lather? I've always used hot water after filling up the sink until recently using cold water to build up MW. The results are making me want to revisit all of my soaps using cold water. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 355
 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Dunno, been using cold water in the sink and face lathering to create the lather which works just fine for me for more than a year now. Works with all the soaps/croaps/creams that I have.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
In my experience, certain soaps are somewhat water temperature sensitive ...

... for example, MW lathers easier and better with colder water, it seems, for me.

102 18,648
 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
I use cold water exclusively. I've yet to find much of a difference.

31 8,057
 04-24-2014, 06:51 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I've read statements by others that Williams shave soap lathers much better with cold water.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
User Info
Good luck with the experiment, but I don't think you will find much of a difference with most soaps.

82 21,077
 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
I haven't used cold water to shave with since I was in the military and don't intend to if I have the choice, but using 104°F water on up to 130°F water I find no difference.

But I have read where some folks have problems with hot water and MWF.

I have found that lather disappears quite rapidly when placed into a hot scuttle. But it whips back up in a heartbeat.

32 6,458
 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM
User Info
I just used RR xx using cold water and it was the nicest lather I've ever had with that soap. I wasn't sure if it was the cold water so before the second pass I added some hot water and it killed the lather. It went on a lot thinner and there wasn't enough for a third pass (the way it started there appeared to be enough for 4-5 passes). I added a little more soap with cold water and revived it.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, it seems like you guys already do this. The majority of people online and from forums that I first learned to create a lather from seemed to use hot water. I've always soaked my brush in hot water and use that same water to soften the soap and in the lathering process. I wish I took a few pics for illustration.

I realize it may also be just a change in my approach to creating my lather, just something else to experiment with. What I would also like to try is ice cold water keeping all other things from tonight constant. I could just make that lather now but I'm not in the mood for the looks I'll get from SWMBO.

4 355
 04-25-2014, 12:34 AM
User Info
cold water and some calani soaps won't work well

7 1,624
 04-25-2014, 05:49 AM
User Info
Interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up.

I've always filled the sink with hot water and dipped the pre-soaked brush knot into the water to warm the hair/bristle and then proceeded to build a proto-lather on top of the puck (including MWF).

I'll be interested to see the different ways people are making lather.

3 459
 04-25-2014, 07:49 AM
User Info
I use warm water because that's what I soak my boar brush with to get it softened and ready. Then I just shake it out and go right to the puck with it.

0 303
 04-26-2014, 02:08 AM
User Info
Disregard anything I've said about temperature. After 2 hours over my sink and the initial signs of carpal tunnel I possibly stumbled onto something big. This could be a major lathering discovery or just smoke. Either way I'd like to share it with you guys. I'll be back within 24 hours with pictures to recreate a bowl lather technique I've never seen or read about. The resulting lather was so mind blowing I went to show SWMBO and you can imagine the reaction I received. Ok too much hype already. I feel like I will most likely end up embarrassing myself but it's worth the risk for the greater good of wet shaving progress.

4 355
 04-26-2014, 02:15 AM
User Info
don't worry - bring it on Badger

7 1,624
 04-26-2014, 02:17 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
You've captured my curiosity, Shakamoto ... Shy

102 18,648
 04-26-2014, 03:38 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(04-25-2014, 05:49 AM)redrako Wrote: Interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up.

I've always filled the sink with hot water and dipped the pre-soaked brush knot into the water to warm the hair/bristle and then proceeded to build a proto-lather on top of the puck (including MWF).

I'll be interested to see the different ways people are making lather.

This technique has always worked well for me.

0 1,137
 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
(04-26-2014, 02:08 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Disregard anything I've said about temperature. After 2 hours over my sink and the initial signs of carpal tunnel I possibly stumbled onto something big. This could be a major lathering discovery or just smoke. Either way I'd like to share it with you guys. I'll be back within 24 hours with pictures to recreate a bowl lather technique I've never seen or read about. The resulting lather was so mind blowing I went to show SWMBO and you can imagine the reaction I received. Ok too much hype already. I feel like I will most likely end up embarrassing myself but it's worth the risk for the greater good of wet shaving progress.

* This should be interesting! Smile

82 21,077
 04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
I always use cold water to lather and have always had good lathers. In the Summer, I'll use ice cubes in the sink for my face and brush. The best. Biggrin

I've read several sources that soap, in general, isn't influenced by the temp. of the water. For example, in washing machines and dish washers, etc.

9 1,203
 04-27-2014, 10:33 PM
User Info
Some soaps work better in hot water. For a hot shave I use my scuttle and a water kettle. QCS creams and Razorock are the two that work the best for me in this extreme environment. Hot lather on a cold morning is a true luxury.

The worst for me in hot water is MWF and Mikes.

24 227
 04-28-2014, 04:48 AM
User Info
Since I either face lather or use a scuttle, it is warm water for me. No problems with any of my soaps/creams.

22 752
 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
(04-26-2014, 02:08 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Disregard anything I've said about temperature. After 2 hours over my sink and the initial signs of carpal tunnel I possibly stumbled onto something big. This could be a major lathering discovery or just smoke. Either way I'd like to share it with you guys. I'll be back within 24 hours with pictures to recreate a bowl lather technique I've never seen or read about. The resulting lather was so mind blowing I went to show SWMBO and you can imagine the reaction I received. Ok too much hype already. I feel like I will most likely end up embarrassing myself but it's worth the risk for the greater good of wet shaving progress.

Times up! Biggrin

129 6,685