05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'm in school as a Biology/Anthropology major and this past semester I took a course in Entomology. Now, I've always liked insects, I was that kid who was always looking under rocks and throwing ants in spider webs, so this was right up my ally. I certainly learned a lot and it may have even had an influence over what direction I take my degree. The professor is probably my favorite at the university (and my advisor) so I sent a lot of time with him learning about his career as an entomologist.

The lab for this semester was to create a photogenically correct collection of insects, properly pinned and labeled. Since the course is normally taught in the fall, but I took it in the spring, the expectations were lowered since the first half of the semester was too cold for most insects to be active. Part of me wishes I was collected more, but the 8 hours spent just labeling and arranging them is glad I didn't. I realize insects aren't for everyone, so I've only posted one picture of the complete collection for the semester with a link to the rest of the album.

The complete collection:
[Image: sRVV9.jpg?1]

Link to the rest of the album
http://imgur.com/a/hvqR8#0

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-10-2012, 09:43 AM)Tonality Wrote: I'm in school as a Biology/Anthropology major and this past semester I took a course in Entomology...

Link to the rest of the album
http://imgur.com/a/hvqR8#0

Hi Anthony

Very! nicely done Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice. I was a bug nut in my younger day and attempted something like this back in high school. That would be WAY before your time.

In layman's terms I see crickets, a grasshopper, lady bug, flies, beetles, june bugs, moth, several other critters, and what appears to be an asp.

173 23,533
 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
User Info
Hard work well done. Good job!

As for me... well, if it has more than four legs or less than two I tend to take the long way around. YMMV indeed Biggrin

3 3,574
 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Very nice! It looks like a lot of work went into your project.

7 1,018
 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Thanks all! It was hard work, especially at the end labeling everything.

Johnny, which one looks like an asp to you? Common names vary greatly, so I'm curious what it is you call an asp. Same with June Bugs, many insects end up being called June Bugs.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Anthony, that is beautiful work. You are to be congratulated on a job well done. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
My "A" was congratulations enough Biggrin

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Now that is interesting. Nice collection bugboy. lol
When I was in college I spent a lot of time in the biology dept. and seen similar collections. I seen a lot of odd creatures, the oddest came in an oceanography course. I'll never swallow seawater again.

Biology was a rough course for me, not the labs or creatures, just everything else. I'm not intelligent enough for that field of study.

Hey... How can I get rid of all the Stink bugs that have invaded my home and gardens? Do you want several hundred-thousand for your collection?

9 451
 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
interesting. I remember when living in my old house we sent a bunch of bees that would frequently visit our yard into a university for them to study.

40 5,830
 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-10-2012, 12:14 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: Hey... How can I get rid of all the Stink bugs that have invaded my home and gardens? Do you want several hundred-thousand for your collection?

While I'm no expert, one suggestion I thought sounded pretty easy is to place some boards around the plants. At nights the stink bugs will crawl under them for protection, so if you get up early enough they should all be under the boards allowing for easy mass removal without using pesticides.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
That looks great. It reminds me of a fond memory of when I was a kid and my grandfather, who was a security guard at the L.A. County Museum of Natural History, would take me into the museum when it was closed on Sundays, and we'd look at my favorite exhibits, including the huge hall of entomology.

184 12,003
 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-10-2012, 12:27 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 12:14 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: Hey... How can I get rid of all the Stink bugs that have invaded my home and gardens? Do you want several hundred-thousand for your collection?

While I'm no expert, one suggestion I thought sounded pretty easy is to place some boards around the plants. At nights the stink bugs will crawl under them for protection, so if you get up early enough they should all be under the boards allowing for easy mass removal without using pesticides.

Additionally take a look here:

23 1,872
 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow! that is a lot of time- Great Job!

inspired by the moth in Anthony's pic,
*hello Clarice* *what did you find?*

Tongue

9 1,684
 05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
Nice work. You mention spiders, I assume you know they aren't insects. Biggrin Yeah I know I'm a horses back region. It's a rotten job but someone has to do it.

Many years ago I mounted butterflies and moths and had a decent collection. I longed for a Luna moth after seeing one on a fire hydrant in town and not knowing what it was.

Now I live in Maine and all I need to do is put out a bug zapper and just look for them under it at dawn. They're beautiful. BTW, they're too large to be zapped, but they don't live long. They see the light and stay there.

For those who don't know, there is a sleep tablet commercial (Rx) that uses a stylized Luna moth as it's fluttery thing. Those many years ago when I was a child they were $30 for a dead and mounted one. I have no idea what they go for now.

32 6,309
 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
Great job, Tony!

75 20,883
 05-11-2012, 02:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-10-2012, 11:44 AM)Tonality Wrote: Thanks all! It was hard work, especially at the end labeling everything.

Johnny, which one looks like an asp to you? Common names vary greatly, so I'm curious what it is you call an asp. Same with June Bugs, many insects end up being called June Bugs.

June Bug

Asp

Although it is probably to early in the year for asp. This might just be some kind of cocoon or something.

173 23,533
 05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Anthony, job well done. Wishing you continued success in your studies.

Arkansas, has a variety bugs I have seen more bugs here then I have my whole life. I'm originally from Illinois.

1 3,507
 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
I would have never made it through that class. I can handle human anatomy but just don't like working with insects. Congrats to you, it's obvious a lot of hard work went into it. I hope you got a good grade to go along with it.

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-11-2012, 02:10 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 11:44 AM)Tonality Wrote: Thanks all! It was hard work, especially at the end labeling everything.

June Bug

Asp

Although it is probably to early in the year for asp. This might just be some kind of cocoon or something.

Very interesting! The first ones are actually from the Scarab Beetle family, which would put them as close relatives of June bugs. The second ones are egg cases from Praying Mantis. I had to look up what an asp bug was, and yes they do have a very similar shape!

(05-13-2012, 12:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I would have never made it through that class. I can handle human anatomy but just don't like working with insects. Congrats to you, it's obvious a lot of hard work went into it. I hope you got a good grade to go along with it.

I'm just a lover of all types of biology, human as well. My focus is more towards human osteology actually. And thank you, I did ace the class, so it was well worth it!

35 1,732