04-24-2014, 10:33 PM
User Info
Long story, if i ramble, feel free to jump to photos...

I did it once in the past, and it was a royal pain. After cutting the blade to the appropriate length I inserted it into an injector magazine and used it to load the blade into a razor. Way too much fiddling with the sharpest blades money can buy. Also at the time, I liked the Personna blades so why bother.

Lately I have been using my DX and SS with great success. Those blades are wonderful indeed. I was looking for a good razor for the gym. It had to be a safety razor for obvious reasons. Either my beard got thicker as I age and arguably get wiser or what not, but blades that I used to consider as sharp just don't cut it anymore. Maybe the frequent use of straight razors makes me use less pressure. The other gym-candidates, my singing Gems and Ever Ready's, also didn't fare that well in the loud locker room. And I do rely on audio feedback... what to do, what to do...

I remembered that during that blade experiments I once cut it wrong meaning the slats were not aligned properly like they are in a regular injector blades so they got stuck in the hydromagic fork that magically keeps the blade in when the lever is open. Imagine my frustration that day after all the trouble of getting the darn blade into the magazine, and to trim it, just to now deal with it being badly stuck and later on to throw it out.

I got the hydromagic AD last year that stopped after 5 specimen. One was an ebay find in such a poor shape that I stashed it away in the garage (away from the management), a full week in lysol followed by another week in alcohol and it looked like an object that had something to do with personal hygiene.

I thought of that ugly duckling last week and on an evening when everyone went to sleep earlier than usual I went to take a look. I figured that the hydromagic fork is the only thing that keeps it, really, from being a mini-Cobra.
Out comes the Dremmel with a rotary disc and in two seconds the fork was gone.
I couldn't find my safety glasses so I went ahead without them. No one got hurt (but the razor) but the fork cutting flew as fast as speeding bullet. I couldn't find it till 2 hours later in a different room as it fell of my shirt...

Anyway, enough chatter.
[Image: 2jgmSJy.jpg]
[Image: yWTNq89.jpg]

I had ProGuard blade with 4 shaves on it in my SS, which I used for this:
[Image: 5Aplh1Q.jpg]
[Image: E8An38M.jpg]

The nice thing is that the only fiddling the blade is cutting it to size, and kitchen scissors are good enough (but it would mess them up over time, I'd get a second pair). It is actually easy to cut if you start with the edge, after half way through you can snap the rest. You could also use a dremel to scour the break point and snap it.

To load the blade I just pop it on the bottom part and close the lever. It is also useful for those of prefer the Personna blades over the Chinese Schick blades (I never liked those actually) but hate the Personna dispenser which falls apart just from looking at it.

I used it yesterday in the gym and the result was an incredible shave that looked very presentable even 12 hours later.

[Image: opRjZLl.jpg]

Now the ugly duckling is the prince of the hydromagic pond!

6 827
 04-25-2014, 09:03 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Very interesting post! I didn't know about the fork. I thought a Hydro-Magic would just work as long as the blade was the correct length.
I was going to use my E model that opens, but that razor is so aggressive as it is that I would be scared to try a Feather blade in it.
I'll start my hunt for a user-grade Hydro-Magic and see if I can replicate your success.

0 912
 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
Fantastic!! I'm glad it turned out well. That blade looks neat in the head.

0 205
 04-25-2014, 11:58 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
homemade Son of Cobra !! very creative. I too, have thought about the cut-down (sharper)blade thing in the injector, but was too chicken to try it. Good result !
Now, invent a tool that trims the blade, so I can copy it ! Smile

0 1,291
 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
Very interesting and enjoy your shaves! Smile

83 21,077
 04-26-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
(04-25-2014, 01:42 PM)celestino Wrote: Very interesting and enjoy your shaves! Smile

I had another shave with it today.
Pretty incredible actually.

6 827
 04-26-2014, 01:32 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nifty ... nicely done.

102 18,652
 04-26-2014, 07:07 PM
User Info
(04-26-2014, 12:21 PM)Galhatz Wrote:
(04-25-2014, 01:42 PM)celestino Wrote: Very interesting and enjoy your shaves! Smile

I had another shave with it today.
Pretty incredible actually.

* Excellent to hear! Smile

83 21,077
 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
Too cool - I love mods!

28 667
 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Thanks, Nice fix! May reduce my need for the E-2~ Will try it also in a older Schick.
~Richard

8 1,194