04-25-2014, 04:52 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Today is ANZAC Day in Australia, 25th April.

"Lest We Forget"

0 1,759
 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Hi Shaun,
I know basically what ANZAC Day is about, and a bit about the Dawn Ceremony.
It is something like Memorial Day in the States, though Memorial Day is also about remembering family, friends, and loved ones who have passed away, as well.

What do you folks do on the family level in commemorating this day ? Do you gather as on a holiday ? Is this commemoration done on the local level ?
Steven

0 1,291
 04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hi Steven, it's usually a public holiday, starting with a dawn service and march in all capital cities, families do get together yes, but mostly groups of servicemen from the different conflicts. It's also a more well recognised day in Canada, and some small commemorations in LA and San Fran.

My grandfather was a British serviceman who was with the Royal Welch Fusiliers seeing action in Gallipoli, then was later gassed and demobbed. He died when my father was 3 in 1931, so he did survive for a while but had TB and the only work he could find was sifting flour in a mill, which was possibly the worst job for him.

0 1,759
 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
thanks for the info. I neglected to mention the tie-in here that we also have a "separate"
"Veterans Day" (Nov. 11th) which was originally called "Armistice Day" until after Korea and WW ll. 4th of July, President's Day, Flag Day, Armed Forces Day), add it up, = drink beer, eat hotdogs and hamburgers, time to buy a new car, enjoy being with family, back to work on Monday ! Wink

0 1,291
 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM
User Info