04-25-2014, 06:51 AM
User Info
I've spent the majority of my first year wetshaving using double edge razors. I've dabbled with SE's when I first started out and quickly dismissed them as inferior. I am interested in revisiting them - the Damaskeene, 1912, OCMM, Flying Wing, Clog Pruf, etc. They're all collecting dust in my display cabinet.

Anyhoo, what blades do you gentlemen suggest? I remember hearing about Treets, PTFE? coated blades, and so on. I remember you have to order them in bulk from an online source and I am definitely not ready to commit to such a purchase Biggrin.

The Cobra Classic really has opened my eyes. Yes, the blades for the CC are miles above your standard SE razor, but a comparison is now necessary with my improved skills. My favorite DE razors are the ATT M1/R1, Weber PH/DLC, and I'd have to say a SS Flair Tip.

What SE razor do you suggest that I try out? What blades?

Also, what are considered the best injector blades? I would like to revisit them as well.

I will be posting in the WTB section soon Biggrin

12 715
 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM
User Info
I got a sample pack from amazon for around $7.00. It came with treet carbon, treet classic, treet super stainless, & a pack of trigs. The treet classic are ptfe coated only now they are made of stainless and not carbon any longer.

[Image: 3hE600N.jpg]

This is the sample pack I received. It contains around 30 blades in all.

6 589
 04-25-2014, 07:11 AM
User Info
No kidding. That's pretty awesome.

Thank you

12 715
 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
Bryan, any of the SEs that you have mentioned would be good candidates to start off with, again, and the GEM PTFE coated ones are probably the most commone ones.
I don't think they will compare to the Feather Pros along with the Cobra, but you may think, otherwise, and enjoy these razors. Best of luck.

82 21,056
 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
The GEM PTFE blades are the "standard".
You may be able to find them at a Rite-Aid, Walgreens or whatever your local equivalent is. They are the drug-store SE blades that say stainless on them.
You can also buy them in reasonable quantities from Connaught shaving and Razorblades and More.

I have not done so myself, but you can also buy the Feather SE blades that people use for Valet Autostrop razors. They don't have the usual "spine" that GEM blades have, but you could take one off an old GEM balde and slide it on if your razor needs it.
I believe Razorblades and more carry the Feather SE blades too.

As for razors... I would suggest the Clog-Pruf or Flying wing to get started and the EverReady 1914 or OCMM when you are comfortable.

0 912
 04-25-2014, 09:32 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
(04-25-2014, 06:51 AM)bmilcs Wrote: I've spent the majority of my first year wetshaving using double edge razors. I've dabbled with SE's when I first started out and quickly dismissed them as inferior. I am interested in revisiting them - the Damaskeene, 1912, OCMM, Flying Wing, Clog Pruf, etc. They're all collecting dust in my display cabinet.

Anyhoo, what blades do you gentlemen suggest? I remember hearing about Treets, PTFE? coated blades, and so on. I remember you have to order them in bulk from an online source and I am definitely not ready to commit to such a purchase Biggrin.

The Cobra Classic really has opened my eyes. Yes, the blades for the CC are miles above your standard SE razor, but a comparison is now necessary with my improved skills. My favorite DE razors are the ATT M1/R1, Weber PH/DLC, and I'd have to say a SS Flair Tip.

Also, what are considered the best injector blades? I would like to revisit them as well.

Bryan,do you like Cobra more than ATT M1/R1, Weber PH/DLC?

31 426
 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM
User Info
(04-25-2014, 09:32 AM)dcc Wrote:
(04-25-2014, 06:51 AM)bmilcs Wrote: I've spent the majority of my first year wetshaving using double edge razors. I've dabbled with SE's when I first started out and quickly dismissed them as inferior. I am interested in revisiting them - the Damaskeene, 1912, OCMM, Flying Wing, Clog Pruf, etc. They're all collecting dust in my display cabinet.

Bryan,do you like Cobra more than ATT M1/R1, Weber PH/DLC?

dcc my friend! It's way too soon to tell. For face shaving, I give the Cobra a respectful nod. It is certainly a special razor! However, because I sport a beard and mustache, I mainly shave my head and for that purpose, it's hard to say. I am much more comfortable with my DE's on the dome. I need more time to give you an accurate answer.

I love my Webers & ATT's and now I also love my Cobra. The Cobra is better on my face so far - truly amazing on your neck line. It effortlessly glides over your skin and you wonder... is it working? Oh yes. It's working.

(04-25-2014, 08:40 AM)bjorney Wrote: The GEM PTFE blades are the "standard".
You may be able to find them at a Rite-Aid, Walgreens or whatever your local equivalent is. They are the drug-store SE blades that say stainless on them.
You can also buy them in reasonable quantities from Connaught shaving and Razorblades and More.

I have not done so myself, but you can also buy the Feather SE blades that people use for Valet Autostrop razors. They don't have the usual "spine" that GEM blades have, but you could take one off an old GEM balde and slide it on if your razor needs it.
I believe Razorblades and more carry the Feather SE blades too.

As for razors... I would suggest the Clog-Pruf or Flying wing to get started and the EverReady 1914 or OCMM when you are comfortable.

Thank you for the info Smile.

I'm going to whip out one of my SE's tonight and give it a spin.

12 715
 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Thanks Bryan,I appreciate Smile

31 426
 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
OK, the OCMM and 1912 are the most aggressive razors in the bunch. So I'd use those after a time; definitely not first. Use the others first. You ease into aggressive razors IMO. The Clog Pruf and Flying Wing are also aggressive, but it's a more sophisticated type of aggressive. Sorry, but that's the best I can describe it.

PM me an address and I'll send you some GEM SS ptfe blades.

Bear in mind I find that these blades get better after a few shaves. So if they cut off high spots on your face (give weepers) bear with them until 3-4 shaves in. Some folks claim they aren't sharp, but I never heard of a blade getting sharper after a few shave. I suspect they're too sharp when new.

I use them for the first few shaves in a milder SE razor. Then I move the blade to a more aggressive razor. IMO your mildest is the Damaskeene.

32 6,445
 04-25-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
Connaught generally has the best price for SE blades and they allow you to purchase them in smaller quantities IIRC.

There's also a new site I've hear of but not tried called "tryablade" which lets you make your own sampler pack and I'm pretty sure they have different SE blades.

My favorite is the GEM PTFE blades. Carbon are sharp & smooth but rusted for me during the first shave in my hard water.

31 8,054
 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
You definitely don't want that OCMM. Being the friend I am, I'll take it off your hands.

FWIW, I started with the Flying Wing and did fine. I like it and the Featherweight. I tried some Treet carbon blades, they are sharp, and decided to stick with SE shaving. The only other SE blades I've used are the GEM PTFE. I like them fine plus they don't rust like the carbon blades.

(04-25-2014, 03:04 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Connaught generally has the best price for SE blades and they allow you to purchase them in smaller quantities IIRC.
If you decide to order from Connaught you might want to consider picking up a Omega 40033 brush. It's a great little brush. I liked it so much I ordered two more. Now I have one for each shave bathroom + one for travel.

1 239
 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM
User Info
Had a great shave today with the flying wing today. Very very smooth.

[Image: 8agepaga.jpg]

[Image: duhaha7y.jpg]

12 715
 04-27-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
I am really liking SE razors! The blades work really well for me now. Smile. The Gem GBar is awesome!

OCMM on deck.

12 715
 04-27-2014, 11:06 AM
User Info
The OCMM is a different animal compared to the Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar). Respect it & take your time & you should be rewarded with an excellent shave.

31 8,054
 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
I missed the "OCMM on deck" when I read that earlier.

+1 what Sharpspine wrote.

32 6,445
 04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
User Info
No biggy Smile. I had a very nice face shave with it.

It is aggressive but not all that bad. Nothing compares to the 2011 R41.

12 715
 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I use the GEM stainless PTFE aka "Pella" blades. They're waaay too sharp and rough for me at first. I have to palm strop the hell out of them to tone them down for a first shave; even then it's a little rough..but after that first one, shaves 2-12 are pure butter.
I can get about 15 shaves from them, but after 12 they start to dull to the point of leaving more stubble and require too much buffing and touchup.

The good thing about SE blades is they die gracefully and end up dull and won't cut as well..DE blades will usually go bad and start eating your face.

31 1,510
 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM
User Info
Even on the first shave, I think my CVS blades feel a bit smoother than DE. Much more testing to come. I've started the "3017"'ing or using one of product start to finish and so I can really dial in my technique. Mike's Orange Black Pepper n Cedarwood doesn't stand a chance.

I may be a convert !

12 715
 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
User Info
One of us! One of us!
;-)

37 404
 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 09:59 AM)emcphers Wrote: One of us! One of us!
;-)

Gooble gobble.

12 715