04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Periodically, I update my preferred lineup of five soaps and five creams. Some remain constant, such as Martin de Candre. For what it's worth, here is the newest lineup in order of preference:

SOAPS

Martin de Candre
Le Pere Lucien
Czech & Speake
The Art of Shaving (old formula)
D.H. Harris Arlington

CREAMS

Xpec original
Castle Forbes
Santa Maria Novella
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Baum.Bee

145 2,950
 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I would love to get down to 5 soaps but when I go through my list there are more than 5 I can't get rid of. How do you deal with that?

58 1,312
 04-25-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
I am pretty much a day to day user of MdC Fougere but I will admit you have some stellar lathering agents there!

19 775
 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Luterbo, my friend, I use a number of soaps and creams in the rotation. Of those, my preferred are the ones I have mentioned. When the others run out, that's it and I will not replenish them. Also, occasionally I relegate some of the less preferred to the shower, because I get bored with them.

(04-25-2014, 10:19 AM)minimalist Wrote: I am pretty much a day to day user of MdC Fougere but I will admit you have some stellar lathering agents there!
Indeed, Martin de Candre is celestial. The two soaps with which I am bored are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac, although both fine soaps. Tabac is gone and I am just about ready to send Mitchell's Wool Fat to the shower.

145 2,950
 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM
User Info
I believe the Czech & Speake is a World's Finest as well...great choices. I have just stuck with the MdC Fougere because I never tire of it.

(04-25-2014, 10:22 AM)Obie Wrote: Luterbo, my friend, I use a number of soaps and creams in the rotation. Of those, my preferred are the ones I have mentioned. When the others run out, that's it and I will not replenish them. Also, occasionally I relegate some of the less preferred to the shower, because I get bored with them.

(04-25-2014, 10:19 AM)minimalist Wrote: I am pretty much a day to day user of MdC Fougere but I will admit you have some stellar lathering agents there!
Indeed, Martin de Candre is celestial. The two soaps with which I am bored are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac, although both fine soaps. Tabac is gone and I am just about ready to send Mitchell's Wool Fat to the shower.

19 775
 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Yes, yes, minimalist, Czeche & Speake is a lovely soap. It seems it has carved a permanent spot in my lineup of preferred soaps. Good stuff.

145 2,950
 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Gotcha. You have more than 5 of each but the 5 you listed will always be there. When you say relegated to the shower you use them as body soap?

58 1,312
 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-25-2014, 10:33 AM)Lutebro Wrote: Gotcha. You have more than 5 of each but the 5 you listed will always be there. When you say relegated to the shower you use them as body soap?
Yes, I forget how many soaps and creams I use. The ones I have noted are the top of the line for me. I plan to eventually stay with my preferred five soaps and creams and eliminate the others, leaving room for new discoveries, of course.
The Art of Shaving (old formula) has recently moved up into the preferred five. I had looked for it for quite sometime until it finding it recently — and I have three pucks just in case the world comes to an end. This is a delightful soap, meeting my criteria in a fine soap. The new formula The Art of Shaving is nothing special.

145 2,950
 04-27-2014, 10:30 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-25-2014, 10:08 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,
Periodically, I update my preferred lineup of five soaps and five creams. Some remain constant, such as Martin de Candre. For what it's worth, here is the newest lineup in order of preference:

SOAPS

Martin de Candre
Le Pere Lucien
Czech & Speake
The Art of Shaving (old formula)
D.H. Harris Arlington

CREAMS

Xpec original
Castle Forbes
Santa Maria Novella
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Baum.Bee

Nice lineup! The new or old SMN?
I've seen Baum.Bee, but I forgot where. Can you tell us a little bit about it? I don't think I've ever read anything about it, anywhereBlush

57 2,560