05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I have an (hopefully) easy question on Simpsons brush naming that I've been curious about for a little while. I've tried various internet searches but to no avail.

I've noticed on some brushes the name of the brush that's engraved into the handle is in quotations but other brushes it's not. For example, brushes are engraved with "Chubby", "The Duke", etc. But I've noticed Commodore and The Colonel has engravings without quotations.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if vintage brushes are any different but have noticed on modern. Were the brushes with quotations named something else a long time ago and those names in quotations were nicknames? For example was the Duke and Chubby just called D1, D2, D3 and C1, C2, C3 and people came up with the nicknames and Simpsons caught on and decided to engrave as such? And were the non-quotation brushes always referred to as their name? And while I'm at it, what does the X2L mean for the Colonel? Was there an X1L at some time? Or is it really a "large" version of the Commodore X2 - hence where X2L.

Or is it just that the older styles had the quotations and created much later in the history of the brand just has the quotes omitted?

Thanks for any answers guys!

0 353
 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Interesting. I would imagine either Mark or Gary would be the most qualified to answer this.

173 23,546
 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
I don't have a definitive answer for any of these but I'll look forward to hearing hopefully from both Mark and Gary about this.

I'm with you though in thinking that the Colonel is mainly a larger handled version of the Commodore X2 and thus the X2L designation. Great question though, I don't think I've ever even noticed the quotation marks before.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I think some of the naming is obviously based purely on shape for example: "Milk Churn" and "Keyhole" both resemble what they are named after.

Others maybe named for the definitive characteristic, for example the "Chubby" which derives it's famed density for being stuffed full of badger subsequently making the handle appear rather squat and well... chubby looking!

The huge "Samson" is possibly a reference to the biblical figure that was granted superhuman strength as this is definitely a super sized brush! In Basque mythology, Samson is represented as a mighty giant (capable of hurling heavy stones).

Other brushes like the "Major" for example were perhaps named after who they were originally made for. Allegedly the "Major" was designed for the Himalayan explorer Major Victor Beeching.

A modern example of this might be the unofficial "Ehsan" (a variation on the Colonel) and named for the person that original requested it's configuration.

I believe the "Duke" was was the family nickname of Alex Simpson, hence the name of the brush (as legend has it this was his daily brush).

The Wee Scot was named partly because Alex Simpson was Scottish and partly because Gary’s grandmother’s maiden name was Scot.

As stated above Gary will be the authority, and it will be most interesting to read his response.

I'd be particularly interested to learn the history behind naming the "Rover" as this is one of my favourite brushes.

91 17,856
 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
You know I wondered the same.. The keyhole and milk churn has straightforward names and I also wondered if the Colonel and Major were named for military personelle who used it or requested. But then I don't know of any emperors in the last 90 years.

And glad you mentioned it - I am curious as to where Rover came from!!

0 353
 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
BUMP! I'm keen for Gary to chime in on this thread!

91 17,856
 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM
User Info
Chubby - given its nickname (hence the quotation marks) due to its handle shape and overall chunky appearance.
Duke- Great Uncle Alex's family nickname.
Keyhole - due to its shape.
Colonel - actually named after my Grandad's best friend, David Durie, who was an infantry Colonel in the Second World War.
Major - no such person as Major Beeching. This was a marketing idea by David Carter. Originally we made two turnback style brushes, one larger, one smaller. Simply named the Major (and funnily enough the Minor)!

Ben is doing a good job of adding info by the looks of it! Will have me out of a job on here soon enough! Wink

Gary

0 213
 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-13-2012, 11:33 AM)Gary Young Wrote: Chubby - given its nickname (hence the quotation marks) due to its handle shape and overall chunky appearance.
Duke- Great Uncle Alex's family nickname.
Keyhole - due to its shape.
Colonel - actually named after my Grandad's best friend, David Durie, who was an infantry Colonel in the Second World War.
Major - no such person as Major Beeching. This was a marketing idea by David Carter. Originally we made two turnback style brushes, one larger, one smaller. Simply named the Major (and funnily enough the Minor)!

Ben is doing a good job of adding info by the looks of it! Will have me out of a job on here soon enough! Wink

Gary

You are irreplaceable Gary and besides any accurate information I have has mostly likely come via you in one way or another!

91 17,856
 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM
User Info
Any info on "The Rover"?

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 02:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Any info on "The Rover"?

The Rover was a David Carter era brush.

0 213
 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 02:26 PM)Gary Young Wrote:

Ah, sorry. Thanks for the clarification.

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 02:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 02:26 PM)Gary Young Wrote:

Ah, sorry. Thanks for the clarification.

No apologies needed!

Mr Carter managed to put out a lot of 'info' during his ownership that suited his own marketing but did not correspond or relate to the actual history of our family and its brush making.

Gary

0 213
 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary :

could you please tell us all the models that Simpson did offer/made during your family ruling?

Im surprised to know that the Rover was a David Carter creation,I thought it was one of the earliest models made by your family...HuhHuh

86 7,123
 05-14-2012, 04:34 AM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 09:47 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary :

could you please tell us all the models that Simpson did offer/made during your family ruling?

Im surprised to know that the Rover was a David Carter creation,I thought it was one of the earliest models made by your family...HuhHuh

I will try and put a definitive list together over the next few days. Bear with me though as we are extremely busy workwise at the moment and I still need my relaxation/family time!!

Gary

0 213
 05-14-2012, 05:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-14-2012, 04:34 AM)Gary Young Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 09:47 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary :

I will try and put a definitive list together over the next few days. Bear with me though as we are extremely busy workwise at the moment and I still need my relaxation/family time!!

Gary

Take your time Gary we'll still be here...

Bated breath and turning blue... but waiting patiently none the less!

91 17,856
 05-14-2012, 06:48 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Gary, thank you for taking the time in answering my question. I really appreciate it. I look forward to the list of names - but take your time! We're all busy and understand.

0 353
 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I had a hard time during the Carter era. I never did like Billie Beer.Biggrin

173 23,546
 05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 06:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: I had a hard time during the Carter era. I never did like Billie Beer.Biggrin

184 12,003