04-25-2014, 05:46 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Today I received a tin of Wet Shave Obsession's "The Naud."

I've sniffed it. I am NOT impressed favorably. And I'm hopeful it is far better when lathered or it'll be out of my den. Stay tuned for more after tomorrow morning shave.

60 1,627
 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
Respectfully, Max, I am surprised by the content and tone of your post.

First, you admit that you shaven't shaved with the soap. Wouldn't it have been better to have first used it before offering such criticism, rather than telling us to "stay tuned" for an anticipated post in just a few hours.

Second, you fail to describe the scent at all or what you find displeasing. It's supposed to smell like Pinaud Clubman. I only know that because I've viewed the WSO site, not from your post. Did you know that before purchasing and had you previously tried/smelled Pinaud Clubman?

And third, your tone, at least to me, appears somewhat curt and dismissive. It's just a soap. If you don't like the scent, so advise us and then bin, PIF or sell it.

I was even more surprised since Jim of WSO is a member of the TSN, has been quite pleasant on the board and is more than happy to provide feedback, answer questions and accept polite criticism.

0 386
 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
(04-25-2014, 05:46 PM)MaxP Wrote: Today I received a tin of Wet Shave Obsession's "The Naud."

I've sniffed it. I am NOT impressed favorably. And I'm hopeful it is far better when lathered or it'll be out of my den. Stay tuned for more after tomorrow morning shave.

I received a puck of WSO's The Naud, GIT, and Bill The Barber and opened them today. I was impressed with all the scent of all three soaps and will definitely be giving one a try tomorrow morning. This is why so many use the YMMV when giving a review or their opinion of a product. Hope we both enjoy the scent and performance of the soap.

32 1,749
 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(04-25-2014, 06:12 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Hope we both enjoy the scent and performance of the soap.

As do I.

60 1,627
 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I have a puck of Bill the Barber coming very soon and can't wait. Jim's soaps are great in scent and in performance. I agree about trying before you criticize and I also agree that if it's described as a Clubman scent you pretty much know what you're getting Smile Just my $.02 though. I dislike scents of a ton of soaps but I definitely don't come on here and tell everyone about it.... I tell people about the scents that I love! Like WSO's Zaro! That stuff is incredible!

58 1,312
 04-26-2014, 06:34 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Gents.

I'm sorry if my post disturbed your sensibilities. The post is MY response to the scent. And scent is a major factor in my product preferences. For me, its equal to performance. If a product doesn't make me say "mmmmm", then its not making it into the rotation.

What I posted was my initial impression of the scent. It was not intended to be critical or anywhere close to a review of the product.

To be fair, I've never owned Clubman Pinaud. So this was a blind buy. And I accept the risk.

The WSO soap itself lathered nicely. I had a DFS. However the scent isn't satisfying to my nose. That the scent doesn't resonate with me is not a reflection on Jim nor his finely crafted soap. I have utmost respect for artisans who create superb products for the wetshaving community. So, YMMV, etc.

It will be leaving my den. Look for it on the selling forum later this weekend.

60 1,627
 04-26-2014, 06:47 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
No apology necessary.

If done respectfully, dissenting opinions are fine.

It's OK to say 'product xyz was not my cup of tea ...'

It's NOT OK to say 'product xyz stinks; only a fool would use this'

102 18,669
 04-26-2014, 06:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
MaxP, you should try the WSO Bill the Barber and White Lightning. Great scents to my old nose.

179 23,937
 04-26-2014, 06:53 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Hello Max,
While you post was free of pleasantries and idolatries I certainly respect the content of it. I am under no guise that every scent I make will be appealing to every wetshaver. In this particular case the soap in question is based off of the Clubman Pinaud scent. In fact the majority of the feedback received indicates it is a dead ringer for said scent.
The feedback thus far indicates if you are a fan of Clubman then The Naud is a scent you might in particular enjoy. Should you not be then obviously this may not be the scent for you. I respect you taking a chance on a scent that unfortunately did not work out for you.
I am very glad you were able to achieve a DFS using the product (feedback that is sincerely appreciated), but am sorry the scent is not for you.
I propose a different solution to this issue. While obviously as a soapmaker I cannot consistently replace soaps simply based on the fact that the scent is not 100% suited to the customer's taste, in this situation I see a potential positive outcome for all.
Rather than sell your soap on the BST, why not PIF it to someone that is a fan of the Clubman Scent. I, in turn, as a courtesy, will send you another soap, the scent of your choosing at no charge.
Obviously the choice is solely yours to make and however you proceed I will completely respect your decision.
Enjoy Your Shaves!
Regards,
Jim@WetShaveObsession

9 429
 04-26-2014, 07:04 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I understand, MdC certainly doesn't WOW my nose in a positive way so I don't use it. No reflection on the soap just the scent.

12 743
 04-26-2014, 07:06 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
And this is why Jim is such a great guy! I say go with the Zaro! I have a bill the barber on the way that lots of people like too!

58 1,312
 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-26-2014, 06:53 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: I propose a different solution to this issue. While obviously as a soapmaker I cannot consistently replace soaps simply based on the fact that the scent is not 100% suited to the customer's taste, in this situation I see a potential positive outcome for all.
Rather than sell your soap on the BST, why not PIF it to someone that is a fan of the Clubman Scent. I, in turn, as a courtesy, will send you another soap, the scent of your choosing at no charge.
Obviously the choice is solely yours to make and however you proceed I will completely respect your decision.
Enjoy Your Shaves!
Regards,
Jim@WetShaveObsession

Clap
Nicely done, Jim.

26 4,953
 04-26-2014, 07:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-26-2014, 07:13 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(04-26-2014, 06:53 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: I propose a different solution to this issue. While obviously as a soapmaker I cannot consistently replace soaps simply based on the fact that the scent is not 100% suited to the customer's taste, in this situation I see a potential positive outcome for all.
Enjoy Your Shaves!
Regards,
Jim@WetShaveObsession

Clap
Nicely done, Jim.

Indeed.

179 23,937
 04-26-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
Enjoy Your Shaves!
Regards,
Jim@WetShaveObsession

Jim, you're an impressive soap maker, and an even more impressive person. Well done, my friend Shy

96 2,592
 04-26-2014, 08:42 AM
User Info
Hats off to Jim for his generous offer.

2 1,555
 04-26-2014, 08:52 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I love Pinaud and what I hear of the soap and now what I've seen of the soap maker. I'm looking forward to getting a puck someday soon.

7 2,360
 04-26-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
If you have never smelled Clubman, I can see why you may not like it. I cannot stand the smell of clubman, it just screams 90 year old man to me. That said, just about any drugstore in the country carries clubman so checking out the scent should have been pretty easy.

Scent of soaps is a most personal item, one of the most YMMV of all the senses. I *love* the smell of MdC, others cannot stand it at all.

Anyway, hopefully the soap itself is wonderful, and I hope you enjoy the shave!

129 6,685
 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I wonder if Jim has entertained the idea of making a WSO 'Veg' ...

... that would be interesting to say the least ... Angel

102 18,669
 04-26-2014, 11:52 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(04-26-2014, 11:22 AM)Agravic Wrote: I wonder if Jim has entertained the idea of making a WSO 'Veg' ...

... that would be interesting to say the least ... Angel

It could certainly be done. Do you think there is a big enough demand? Sometimes it is hard envisioning a scent I do not necessarily like, but I know how individual the scent thing is.
Id love to hear from those that are interested and if demand is there it would be an honor to take a shot at it.

9 429
 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
User Info
I posted earlier in this thread and here are my comments from my post today in the SOTD thread regarding WSO's, The Naud.

This was my first time using a WSO soap and it will be the first of many. This soap is superb and has it all by producing copious amounts cushioning, slick, protective lather. The scent of the soap was spot on in capturing the scent of Pinaud Clubman. My face felt smooth and conditioned following the shave. I could continue on with adjectives of the performance of the soap but I will leave that for now and say that I WSO has a permanent place in my rotation as a top performer.Exclamation

Jim, you are a gentleman. If I had not tried your soap before today you would have received some of my business based on your response alone.

32 1,749