05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
User Info
I, at this point, consider myself to be a pretty darn experienced shaver. But last night I had the worst shave I've had since getting into wet shaving. When I was done shaving, my face stung so bad from razor burn that it prevented me from being able to sleep.

I've no idea why this happened, but I'll have to go a couple days without shaving until my face heals up before I can shave again. Angry

So my question is, do any of you experienced shavers occasionally, for whatever reason, have bad shaves?

0 214
 05-10-2012, 01:44 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
myself, only been DE wet shaving for 16 months.

I do get a less desirable shave...
  • when I rush, and don't prep with as much hot moisture
  • when I rush, and don't prepare my lather *rich* enough (too watery)
I generally don't get *weepers* at this point, but I will end up with not as much hair reduction (i.e. spotty stubble spots)

9 1,684
 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM
User Info
Because we're human we have a built in 5% "garbage" ratio. I'd like to think most of us have a much higher great shave ratio than that. I know I do, but experience tells one when to start over, regroup, drop back and punt, whatever you want to call it. Sometimes we even listen to that voice that whispers, "Don't do it.".

But to answer your question, yes. Only writing for myself, I have had a few really terrible shaves after knowing what I'm doing. But it goes with the territory. I like aggressive razors. I had better "be there" for the shave or recognize it as a bad day and use a mild razor that I can't get into trouble with. Rolleyes Yeah, that happens. Whenever my wind wanders with an unforgiving and aggressive razor I pay the price. Now when I use one of those I close the B'room door and lock it so that I won't be disturbed. (it's just the wife and I)

Most times though it's from blade testing (have I ever mentioned how much I'm coming to dislike blade testing?) . One time a few months ago I had terrible lather and pressed on anyway- big mistake. That was the first time I had razor burn.

32 6,301
 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
A couple times,maybe 3 or 4 times,I experience bad shaves,and they could happen for some several reasons :

-being on a hurry

-dull blade

-my skin asking for a day of rest and me not giving it

-a bad product,like shaving soap/cream.

And sometimes cuz Im on a bad mood.

86 7,123
 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
ooh... one thing I regretted,,, not the shave... but my POST SHAVE...

Blush I used the Styptic pen like an Alum block!

(was about a month or so back when I was curious why folks use *alum*)

9 1,684
 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
I had a pretty bad shave a few days ago - it was due to bad prep. I was in a hurry, lather wasn't up to par, and I wasn't going to start over. Bad decision.

I think most, if not all, my bad shaves have been caused by bad prep.

37 1,731
 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
User Info
What defines a bad shave, a cut? Razor burn? Splashing AS in your eye?
I've had a lot of bad shaves, but never had razor burn so bad that it kept me awake.

Here is the worst shave I have ever had.
Washed my face.
Applied a pre-shave cream.
Wrapped a hot towel around my face.
Relaxed for 15 minutes.
Rinsed my face and brushed on some nice warm lather.
New blade in my favorite razor.
Made my first pass WTG and rinsed.
More warm lather, second XTG pass, rinsed.
Last of the warm lather, final ATG pass, rinsed and patted dry.
Splashed on my favorite AS and my face felt like I tossed acid on it.
A while later my entire face was red and raw. Witch hazel, aloe, cold cloth... Nothing worked. After a couple hours the pain stopped, but it hurt to touch.

What I learned? Never do any of that crap again.
Since then I only use slightly cool water, never do any pre-shave BS, don't use warm lather and never rinse between passes.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid.

9 451
 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Absolutely and I can usually contribute it to poor prep and to much pressure on the razor. I call it PAS, pay attention stupid.

173 23,285
 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
I think we all have experience bad shaves when there was certainly potential for much better. I love the comment above by Brian SD about the 5% garbage ratio. That's is some deep truth if there ever was any on a shave forum! Wink

I also would attribute any bad shaves now to...
1. Too much pressure on the razor; especially since I primarily use what are considered aggressive razors
2. Poor lather. Typically too dry rather than too wet. Even my very wet and thin lathers still maintain great glide for the razor. The dry lathers seem to suck the blade into my flesh causing it to cut skin along with hair.

31 7,892
 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
Yes, I do. Generally the result of trying to squeak just one more shave out of an old blade, or just getting careless when in a hurry to finish up.

0 1,377
 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Rarely, but it does happen. In my case it usually boils down to bad lather coupled with a blade I used a little to long. I get in a rush and try to bull my way through and pay the consequences.

2 693
 05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(05-10-2012, 03:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Absolutely and I can usually contribute it to poor prep and to much pressure on the razor. I call it PAS, pay attention stupid.

(05-10-2012, 04:09 PM)wknicholas Wrote: Yes, I do. Generally the result of trying to squeak just one more shave out of an old blade, or just getting careless when in a hurry to finish up.

Agreed and could add another list of possibilities. Still, I'm like you and most of the time I just woinder "what happened?". I had a string of three shaves recently where each left me quite irritated (and irritable) but on the fourth day, without much change at all, poof! A great shave! In actuality, there is something changing but we let down our guard every so often. I figure these experiences keep us on our toes...

35 2,703
 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I think most of us have bad shaves from time to time, for whatever reasons. It just makes one appreciate the great shaves all the more. Wink

2 11,211
 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
I try to use my bad shaves - and less good shaves - to learn something... most occurs when I'm too clever for my own good.

Latest lesson gotten from a bad shave? My neck really, really, really don't like an ATG with a slant... took the better part of a week to clean up Blush

3 3,436
 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Not very often do I get a really bad shave but my shave on 05/10/2012 was just that. It resulted in visable razor burn for the first time in a long time. I think I was just rushing as I was running late for work. I also was using a razor I rarely use.

45 3,955
 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
i have only been at this for seven months, but if i use a new razor or new blades that do not work for me is when i get the bad shaves. Also, when i try my straight!! Still practicing with those demons! Hehe.

74 20,778
 05-11-2012, 02:28 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I've been wet-shaving for quite some years now and yes sometimes I get a sub-par shave.

For me this happens because of the following reasons:

1) Being in a hurry

2) Using a straight razor that lost its keenness and needs to go to the hone

3) Using a soap or cream that I'm not used to and make a sub-par lather.

4 313
 05-11-2012, 03:12 AM
User Info
If I am in a rush, or not focused on what I am doing, I will usually end up bleeding. I did the same with a cartridge razor, so, it's not the equipment, it's me!

6 230
 05-11-2012, 03:24 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Every once in a while I get a bad shave. Usually it's because I'm not paying attention either to my lather or my shaving technique.

7 1,007
 05-11-2012, 04:12 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Yes, but usually there are reasons for those shaves as others have mentioned.

Maybe I am trying something new, maybe I didn't take time to get my lather right, maybe it is just a day where I was in a rush.

Then there are days where I know my lather is terrible, I know I didn't prep, and yet I shave anyway because I need to and don't care. Usually on those days I kick myself later... but at 4:30 AM not always thinking clearly.

0 253