04-26-2014, 06:03 PM
User Info
If you read my post yesterday, here is a different approach at bowl lathering. I'm using my phone and tapatalk so bear with me.

Nugget of MW (orange spice tea if that matters)
[Image: amyqynaj.jpg]

Smeared it around the bottom just to make it easier.
[Image: geby2eme.jpg]

I'm using a silvertip and shook out all of the water before starting. Next time I will try with a damp brush. I just used painting motions to wet the soap. The intention is to mix the soap with water without causing agitation. I want to hydrate the soap without creating bubbles.
[Image: u7yva3ys.jpg]

I slowly add water a few drops at a time whenever it seems like the texture is no longer changing. The next few pictures will be what it looks like as I go.
[Image: be4ybu3u.jpg]
[Image: 9y2ajehe.jpg]
[Image: ybe9emuq.jpg]
[Image: 5yra3evy.jpg]

I know I'm on the right track when it gets stringier like you stepped on gum. When it looks like all of the soap is mixed in it is less sensitive to water.
[Image: 3yvaqepy.jpg]

I'm not sure the best way to proceed from here. I didn't want to screw it up start all over again and I felt like I was pressing too hard and sucked up soap into the brush. I began using painting motions toward my body and pressed the brush down hard to force the soap out. I was trying to collect all of the thick lather in one place.
[Image: uvyve7en.jpg]
[Image: ahe7a6ap.jpg]

Once you have it gathered you can add water probably as reckless as you'd like. The most important part I found at this point when mixing the added water in is to use a slow/controlled swirling motion.
[Image: asuvy9e8.jpg]
[Image: edujaseq.jpg]

Here is a picture after the first pass. I still have to figure out how much water I can add. I didn't want to push it because I shaved with this. I think it could have taken in a lot more. It didn't have as much sheen that it had the other night. I'll take a picture of a more successful one later when I'm not stoping every few seconds to snap a shot.
[Image: ynaguryz.jpg]

This is only the beginning of a work in progress. I know it can be done so much more efficiently with better results. I forgot to mention it was a great shave. I felt like I could put a kitchen knife to my face and it would be smooth.

4 355
 04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nicely done!

MW is especially sensitive to water introduction in my experience.
Your process is correct ... load up and activate with a relatively dry brush, and then add water incrementally ... further practice will help determine when to stop, i.e. optimal amount of water to create desired lather consistency.

102 18,555
 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
Excellent work and the lather looks fantastic! You might as well give it a go with face-lathering, also! Biggrin

82 21,056
 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM
User Info
It looks like ultralather. But a different way to produce it. Biggrin Nice stuff, huh?

I do much the same thing on my face. Another gent produces it by a different method in a bowl.

BTW, what is MW? Lots of acronyms...

32 6,445
 04-26-2014, 10:05 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. My shaving skills are mediocre so I need a good lather. I will face lather some day when I'm done experimenting and use the same products routinely, that means 5-10 years from now.

MW is Mystic Water MF (My Friend).

Another thought, to expedite the lathering process, has anyone tried breaking down soap with water first to get it to a paint like consistency, then put your brush to it?

4 355
 09-23-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
I'll be doing this tonight!

1 1,975
 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM
User Info
very nice—making me rethink my process even on the face

8 43
 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM
User Info
Hmm... Very creative. How much soap would you say you have there - maybe like a teaspoon or something?

0 1,055
 09-23-2014, 05:48 PM
User Info
Wow thread revival, thanks guys. I've updated my process and it is much different than this. It takes a fraction of the time with the same results. I will update when I get the chance using tools for measurement.

This chunk of soap was about the size of a Starburst.

4 355