04-27-2014, 08:07 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I'd like to try a horsehair brush but don't quite know how the face feel compares to boar. I read that it is pretty soft unless you mash it, which cues in scritch.

Anyone out there who can compare the Vie Long beehive or Lord Randal natural horse against a Semogue 620 or SOC? Would really appreciate a comparison in feel when the brushes are new and after the brushes have been used for a month or so.

Thanks a bunch! Smile

2 286
 04-27-2014, 10:32 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find horse hair prickly and so don't really like it much. It's ok if you use paint strokes if you face lather. There are, of course, different grades and mixtures of horse, mane and tail, etc. I much prefer boar. Others swear by horse. I'm unimpressed.

0 1,733
 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I much prefer horse and do not find horse prickly at all. It retains heat much better than boar so you get to enjoy warm lather. The face feel depends on the brush of course... There is good horse and bad horse just like anything else.

I use horse and silvertip badger exclusively these days.

46 18,087
 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
User Info
I've used a number of Omega and Semogue boar brushes over the years, and eventually developed a preference for Semogue. I like the SOC boar, which is one of the brushes you mentioned. Prior to acquiring the Lord Randal, my current brush collection consisted of 2-bands and Semogue boars.

The Lord Randal is my first horse hair brush. I have both the white and the mixed knot, and have had two shaves with each. I like them enough that I'll be ordering the brown horse hair so I can compare.

For me, the white horse hair has a subtle scritch. I don't care for scritch and yet I like the white horse hair on the Lord Randal. This tells me that scritch is not an issue for me with the Lord Randal. What I don't find in the Lord Randall is the prickly feel of pure or low quality best badger.

I have not found that I have to mash the white horse hair. On the contrary, the brush naturally splays an optimal amount without any conscious application of pressure.

I find the white horse hair to be somewhat similar to a broken in boar, and am looking forward to see how the brush evolves over a number of shaves.

48 5,723
 04-27-2014, 05:12 PM
User Info
For me (and I am speaking about the whole hair class and not to specific brushes or makers) horse hair is somewhere between Best Badger and Boar in consistency but closer to Badger than Boar. Unbleached horse hair has more backbone and more scritch and bleached horse hair has less backbone but less scritch.

Horse hair is probably the least on my list of usage even though I have two brushes and they may see a total of maybe 5 to 10 usages a year at best. I just prefer Boar, Synthetics and Badgers more than horse hair.

1 2,827
 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Horse has me seriously considering getting rid of all my boar brushes except my mixed knots (badger&boar). To me even my best broken in boars do not feel or perform as good as these vie-long horse brushes.
Either that or my boars will be relegated to test lathering for the most part.

9 429
 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I've got a Vie-Long Peleon, which is the brown horse 65% tail, 35% mane. In other words, it is the heaviest backbone, with the most scritch of any of the Vie-Longs. I love it. I'm about to order the Bullgoose Beehive, with what appears to be the same knot. I've never tried a pure badger, so I can't compare it to that, but I do have a Semogue 1438 which is a very similar knot to the 620. Now that it has broken in and bloomed, the Semogue has got less scratch, and slightly more backbone than the Peleon. Between the two, though, I'd have to vote for the Horse. The 1305 and 830 just edge out the Peleon in my book, with the 1438 and 620 coming in a close third. That's my opinion, but of coarse YMMV.

0 272
 04-28-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
I have a Vie-Long 13070, natural white horse hair, as well as a Semogue 620 and 1470. I love all three and they're all in my rotation, along with my Omega Mixed Midget badger/boar brush.

I face lather only. The Semogues have more back bone. I think the Vie-Long can be more scritchy if you use pressure, otherwise I don't feel much. They had some when new, but now they're breaking in nicely, and a lot of the scritch is gone.

The Vie-Long is softer on the face, but still has good back bone to it.

I really like all three, which is why they're all in my rotation.

0 54
 04-28-2014, 07:14 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Is that the Zurito Blanco?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2 286
 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
User Info
I have tge zurito blanco, which i like quite a bit (i posted a review) .
I had a semogue boar which took forever to break in and a 2012 SE mixed.
Both i sold. The SE was just to big for my liking, i never warmed up to the SOC boar. I also had the b&b omega special which i hated (awful handle a funk that never went away).

My other two in rotation are SOC finest and Da Vinci 293, which are my keepers, as well as frank shaving synthetic which is in my gym bag.

6 808
 04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Galhatz, your review was what made me search for vie long horse hair brushes, and I discovered Bullgoose's Vie Long LEs along the way. Smile

I'm trying to avoid anything with too much scrub as my face can't tolerate daily dose of it. My 620 has yet to break in and I can only use it once a week.

The SOC I have is fully broken in and I can use it every day with no issues.

I'm trying to figure out if a broken in horsehair brush will be gentle enough for me to face lather with daily.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2 286
 04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
I have only 2 Horse hair (the real thing ,not the blond turkish Boars)
One is 50/50 and the other 65/35
I am not happy with both of them
From my experience (although i know at least one brand who produces very soft Horse hair brushes) they are like Black badgers but in worst level
Untamed,scratchy,not good looking at the bloom but very nice colour.
Can not compare them to my Boars,even my simple Omega is much more efficient in lathering.

0 353
 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I would really give those Bullgoose LEs a try. I have given up on boar a while ago as I am not willing to suffer through the break in period. The natural white LE from Bullgoose was out of the box as soft as a broken in boar and just keeps getting better. I feel only a subdued scritch when mashing the knot into the face - a bad idea with any knot. Normal circular motion is not causing any scritch.
The natural white is definitely a winner!

35 1,808
 04-28-2014, 09:52 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 09:23 AM)Doryferon Wrote: I have only 2 Horse hair (the real thing ,not the blond turkish Boars)
One is 50/50 and the other 65/35
I am not happy with both of them
From my experience (although i know at least one brand who produces very soft Horse hair brushes) they are like Black badgers but in worst level
Untamed,scratchy,not good looking at the bloom but very nice colour.
Can not compare them to my Boars,even my simple Omega is much more efficient in lathering.

What brands did you feel were no better than black badger, and what brand do you believe produces soft horse hair brushes?

There are very few manufacturers of horse hair brushes. Except for a couple of small Chinese suppliers, I only know of the Bestshave and Vie Long.

0 386
 04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 09:52 AM)branford Wrote: What brands did you feel were no better than black badger, and what brand do you believe produces soft horse hair brushes?

There are very few manufacturers of horse hair brushes. Except for a couple of small Chinese suppliers, I only know of the Bestshave and Vie Long.

I have 2 Vie Long Horse hair brushes,you can see them in my blog
A friend of mine has tested the Horse hair knots from PC Woodcraft and Pens,he told me that were very soft.
I have Black Badgers from 4-5 brands and the TGN and FS were far more the best
Black badger is my beloved kind of brushes,i have in rotation 5 of them.
When i say Horse hair i mean the real ones,not Boars named as "horse hair" as they do in turkey.

0 353