04-27-2014, 10:36 PM
User Info
Morning Gents,

As a newish convert to the DE and shavette (CJB RAZOR) I find that I am trying to get a BBS every shave. And I was wondering if you guys with lots of experience go for a BBS every time. The reason I ask is that I find my face is getting a little sore, am am sure it is Down to lack of skill also. I am hoping to move to a straight razor soon but at the moment I am using a combo of the CJB and my DE which is a Futur. I use the CJB for the first 2 passes WTG and XTG ( I still get a few cut/ niks) the mop up with the Futur. I think this week I ease up and just use the DE a couple of times this week and let my face heal.
I would like to find out if you guys go for the BBS every day or if you have a lesser shave for work.
Thank for your help and comments

0 100
 04-27-2014, 11:24 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Hi Stevie -

Your first goal should always be to get a comfortable shave. A closer shave will come naturally with accumulated experience.

Beyond that, I don't think BBS is practical for every shaver. When you consider that an aggressive razor shaves closer but is harder on the skin and a mild razor doesn't shave as close to spare the skin, one would conclude that a really close shave isn't for everyone.

I have very delicate skin and I only shave my neck (I have worn a beard for over 40 years). Any time I drag a sharp blade over my neck I get some irritation. I go for a close shave (DFS), but BBS for me results in razor burn.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-28-2014, 12:01 AM
User Info
My goal is a DFS - a BBS just happens at times. Same as Murray, my neck tends to get upset if I'm too aggressive - or uses too many passes.

3 4,494
 04-28-2014, 12:31 AM
User Info
Thanks guys
What is DFS?

0 100
 04-28-2014, 12:59 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
DFS : damn fine shave

Here's a useful reference.

102 18,652
 04-28-2014, 01:24 AM
User Info
I always aim for a COMFORTABLE AN IRRITATION FREE every time. My guide is, when I apply aftershave If I experience severe sting and or irritation, well, it's down to complacency on my part (operator error)
Jim

0 475
 04-28-2014, 02:43 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-27-2014, 11:24 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Hi Stevie -

Your first goal should always be to get a comfortable shave. A closer shave will come naturally with accumulated experience.

Beyond that, I don't think BBS is practical for every shaver. When you consider that an aggressive razor shaves closer but is harder on the skin and a mild razor doesn't shave as close to spare the skin, one would conclude that a really close shave isn't for everyone.
- Murray

For sure as your get more experience you will get closer shaves. Just don't try too hard to get there quickly your face will thank you.

It takes a very sharp blade in an aggressive DE/SE to get a close shave coupled with the right angle and an extremely light touch. Not everyone's skin and technique can stand that.

I am blessed with a Rhino hide and try for a BBS every time with a 4 pass shave. Sometimes I actually get one but don't worry if it is not in the cards. Just find a shave method that you and your face are comfortable with and let the rest take care of itself.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-28-2014, 03:15 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Kudos to Murray-aim for comfortable. Experience will get you to the sweet spot. As an example, I jumped into Open Combs (OC), and my face was very raw. Then I decidd to give it a rest and go back to my smooth shaver , an old Aristocrat. Guess what? It was all good. Over time my technique improved, and an OC isn't a challenge anymore.

19 742
 04-28-2014, 06:45 AM
User Info
Simply put. You have a hair and you have skin. The goal is to cut the hair as close to the skin as possible, without scraping off skin.

With cartridges, the blade is so dull, you have to press hard, which pushes the skin down, you cut the hair below the normal skin line.

Your first goal is to improve your technique to a point where you only shave the hair - not skin.There is no point inflicting repeated skin damage to yourself. It delays the five'o'clock shadow by a few hours only.
in time you will be able to get better at getting a closer shave without irritation. Frankly, the Feather Artist Club system is the only one I finish a close shave with zero irritation and no sting at all from aftershaves. You have a good setup.
Take it easy, don't even go XTG if you are getting nicks in a WTG pass.

6 827
 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
Depending on your facial hair and skin type, a BBS every time may not be practical. I have a tough beard. For me to get a BBS requires three passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG), followed by a touchup pass. The end result is usually some degree of irritation, particularly on the chin and upper lip areas.

50 6,081
 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
No BBS here because of my very coarse and dark hair! I usually go for a DFS or a very comfortable shave! No sense in having an unpleasant shave as you defeat the pleasure of this ritual. Good luck. Smile

83 21,077
 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 06:45 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Simply put. You have a hair and you have skin. The goal is to cut the hair as close to the skin as possible, without scraping off skin.

With cartridges, the blade is so dull, you have to press hard, which pushes the skin down, you cut the hair below the normal skin line.

Your first goal is to improve your technique to a point where you only shave the hair - not skin.There is no point inflicting repeated skin damage to yourself. It delays the five'o'clock shadow by a few hours only.
in time you will be able to get better at getting a closer shave without irritation. Frankly, the Feather Artist Club system is the only one I finish a close shave with zero irritation and no sting at all from aftershaves. You have a good setup.
Thanks for your comments, the reason for the cuts is that I am trying to master the CJB Straight handle razor, which I shall not use for the rest of the week, and dail back the Futur to No2. I to would like to have the Feather Artist system in due course, I got the CJB as a lower cost option to try. Thanks again for your help.

0 100
 04-28-2014, 04:53 PM
User Info
I try for BBS most every time. I figure I'm shaving and it doesn't take much more effort, I just as well.
I am successful most of the time using my same 2 pass and touch ups. As long as I have made a good lather using a soap that still has good slickness after the 2 passes, a few touch ups during the rinse usually does the job.

31 1,800
 05-06-2014, 06:09 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 02:43 AM)BobH Wrote:
(04-27-2014, 11:24 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Hi Stevie -

- Murray

For sure as your get more experience you will get closer shaves. Just don't try too hard to get there quickly your face will thank you.

It takes a very sharp blade in an aggressive DE/SE to get a close shave coupled with the right angle and an extremely light touch. Not everyone's skin and technique can stand that.

I am blessed with a Rhino hide and try for a BBS every time with a 4 pass shave. Sometimes I actually get one but don't worry if it is not in the cards. Just find a shave method that you and your face are comfortable with and let the rest take care of itself.

Bob

+1

0 286
 05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I once heard someone say that during every shave you need to do a trade-off between:
- closeness,
- speed, and
- comfort

Only you can decide what is best for you. For me - it's comfort first.

17 535
 05-06-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
I certainly don't qualify as a guy with lots of experience, but I always look at the bright side: If my shave isn't quite as close as I'd like it's just a little head start on my beard for tomorrow's shave.

3 202
 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
I seem to get the best shaves when I'm not trying to get the closest shaves.

0 836
 05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 11:18 AM)Stevie17 Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 06:45 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Simply put. You have a hair and you have skin. The goal is to cut the hair as close to the skin as possible, without scraping off skin.

Thanks for your comments, the reason for the cuts is that I am trying to master the CJB Straight handle razor, which I shall not use for the rest of the week, and dail back the Futur to No2. I to would like to have the Feather Artist system in due course, I got the CJB as a lower cost option to try. Thanks again for your help.

With the CJB or any other FAC razor, I do recommend using ProGuard blades. They make a difference. I'd stay away from the Dorco blades. The CJB is not bad at all, it is a pretty accurate clone of the RG/DX models. The DX is heavier, has better balance and better finished, but as far as holding a blade, it is pretty darn close.

6 827
 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
Bbs against the grain every time....im thr only one? ....

2 95
 05-06-2014, 10:32 PM
User Info
A BBS just happens when you have technique, software, and hardware right. It's like the stars and planets aligning every day.

Find what works for you and you can't keep a BBS from happening while the face feels great.

32 6,459