Poll: Proraso: Cream or Soap ?
 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
User Info
Anyone uses both the cream in tube and the soap in the pot ?

What do you prefer of the two ?

Green & Red: Do you prefer the Cream or the Soap ?

24 6,018
 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
User Info
I believe all the Proraso creams and soaps perform are equally well. However, I tend to prefer the soap tubs simply because I like to load my brushes from a tub and it is easier to go back to the tub on the rare occasions that I want to reload my brush for a later pass.

0 386
 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I've never tried any of their soaps, but I love Proraso Blue in the tube, I will always keep it on hand.

17 550
 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
User Info
I just bought all 3 pots of Proraso, and already own the 3 tubes of Proraso cream.

While I enjoy the performance of the blue, the scent is not my favorite, although I'm a licorise/lakrids lover and I do get some from this, something in it is just a tad bit off putting to my nose, so I won't repurchase the blue.

I like the scent of the white soap in the pot, and overall just prefer pots/containers over tubes. Tubes are only suited for two things: travel and for better longevity (if you own 75 creams and soaps like I do, longevity plays a factor, because creams will at some point turn bad, and tubes preserve a cream better than a tub)

24 6,018
 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I enjoy both, but if I have to choose one, I prefer the pot...particularly the white. I love the scent of the white, and I almost always have it with me when I travel.

My second choice is the green in a tube. I think this is only due to the fact that I used the green in a tube for many years almost exclusively (before this became an obsession Tongue)

34 1,627
 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
I have Proraso Red and Blue in the tube and Red and White in the tub. All receive equal use and affection. I do the tubes in scuttles with my wonderful Semogue badgers and for the tubs, face lather with my Barbear Classicos (Cerda/Mistura/Texugo). All Proraso soaps give equally great lather and close, comfortable shaves. Guess I am 50/50.

22 764
 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Although they have similar performance, I am a soap guy and prefer my Proraso Green in the tub.
I have 3½ tubs of the old formulation horded back for occasional summer use..it's one of the few commercial soaps I still use.
The new stuff is good, but I find it gets used up faster and doesn't have quite the menthol kick the old stuff did.

31 1,510
 04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
User Info
I have no idea why but I prefer the scent of the tube over the tub. It smells "sweeter" than the tub. It could be because the tube has a higher water content maybe? I dont have the capability right now but is it certain that the tub and tube are the exact same formulation? You would think there are some differences between them however minor. The tube cream is more pliable than the tub, for instance.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
The only Proraso I have used is the C.O. Bigelow, so basically Proraso green tube. One of the reasons I reach for it, among it's other great performing characteristics, is that it is a cream, so it is quick and easy to get a great lather. No muss, no fuss, and an exceptional shave, every time.
Tube for me.

2 1,695
 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(04-28-2014, 04:57 PM)jpakstis Wrote: I have no idea why but I prefer the scent of the tube over the tub. It smells "sweeter" than the tub. It could be because the tube has a higher water content maybe? I dont have the capability right now but is it certain that the tub and tube are the exact same formulation? You would think there are some differences between them however minor. The tube cream is more pliable than the tub, for instance.

- Josh -

Well, the ingredients for the tub are

aqua, stearic acid, cocos nucifera, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium lauryl sulfate, eucalyptus globulus, propylene glycol, menthol, parfum, amyl cinnamal ,eugenol, geraniol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, eucalyptol, boric acid, camphor, PEG-150 distearate, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium borate and bht

This is the old formula though, loads of parabens and other goodies. It's still good stuff though. Tongue

Edit: here is the new formula in the tub

Aqua (Water/eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Menthol, Camphor, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Geraniol, Fragrance (Parfum)

and new cream formula:

Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Menthol, Camphor, Eucalyptol, Eucalyptus globulus Leaf Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sodium Metasilicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Geraniol, Parfum (Fragrance).

31 1,510
 04-28-2014, 06:54 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I prefer the soap to the cream. But the blue cream tube is my favorite of the scents. I wish they would make a soap with the blue scent.

45 3,955
 04-28-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 06:54 PM)tgutc Wrote: I wish they would make a soap with the blue scent.

That can't happen soon enough, plus a Red aftershave, and if you believe in miracles, a Yellow soap or cream.Smile

0 386
 04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
They both work the same for me but I prefer the pot format.

2 520
 04-28-2014, 08:59 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-28-2014, 03:34 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: While I enjoy the performance of the blue, the scent is not my favorite, although I'm a licorise/lakrids lover and I do get some from this, something in it is just a tad bit off putting to my nose, so I won't repurchase the blue.

I agree, the Blue does not smell great to me either, and I really like licorice. Hard to describe what I didn't like, but at the time it was my least favorite scent I'd experienced. I had only used it once, as my friend wanted me to try it out to see what I thought.

Anyway, I own the Green and Red, both in tube and tub.
I can't tell if I like the scent of the Red or not. It's ok, but definitely not my favorite "pure" Sandalwood scent.
Performance-wise, I like them all. They never seem to get a look in my rotation, however Dodgy

62 3,008
 04-28-2014, 11:10 PM
User Info
I face lather so I enjoy being able to build my brush in the tub before working it in

2 95
 04-29-2014, 01:10 AM
User Info
I also prefer the tub. It's cleaner, easier to load from and overall gives a neater experience. Possibly lasts longer too.

1 182
 04-29-2014, 01:52 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I do enjoy both, but I still prefer the soaps... then again, I pretty much always do!

26 4,952
 04-29-2014, 02:51 AM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
I enjoy using both but I prefer using the cream, if my current pot is used up it'll be replaced with a cream tube. As for scent, I have only used green and blue. I didn't like the blue at all, the scent just wasn't for me.

Scott.

0 89
 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
(04-28-2014, 06:54 PM)tgutc Wrote: I prefer the soap to the cream. But the blue cream tube is my favorite of the scents. I wish they would make a soap with the blue scent.

I also wish Proraso would make the Blue in a tub. I love to face lather the Red and White tubs with my Barbear Classico brushes. Blue is my favorite scent.Tongue

22 764