05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Simpson Chubby 3 "Extra Super" (aka Manchurian)

The Simpson Chubby is arguably one of the most iconic shaving brushes in the world.
The size 3 is the largest, most luxurious brush in the Chubby range.
Currently there is a lot of interest in Simpsons "New Manchurian" offering, here's a look at the "Old Manchurian" from the Carter Era, first introduced as "Extra Super".

[attachment=1724] [attachment=1725] [attachment=1726]

For this shave, given my Simpson Chubby 3 Extra Super is one of my favourite brushes I teamed it up with a few other favourites:

My favourite soap: Martin De Candre Soap,
my favourite razor: a retro styled black with white striped handled Joris and my favourite blade: Super Iridium

As the weather has turned cooler (it's winter in the southern hemisphere) my preference is to shower shave and face lather.
My usual routine is 3 passes (WTG, XTG and AGT), so I get to enjoy plenty of lather and brush time!

I wasn't prepared for underwater photography, so this is the CH 3 ES still loaded with lather after 3 passes...

[attachment=1727]

And in bloom...

[attachment=1728]

From above...

[attachment=1729]

Two favourites...

[attachment=1730] [attachment=1731]

The CH 3 ES preformed well, lathering the MdC with ease and enough for well more than my usual 3 passes.
It felt large on the face, but not unwieldily.
It was dense, but not as dense as my current post Vulfix Chubby 3 brushes.
Flow through was much better than the post Vulfix Chubbies.
With the longer loft I expected this to exhibit little in the way of backbone... I was wrong.
I expected it to feel and behave more like a 3 band super, but it felt closer to a 2 band.
The long loft and backbone reminded me of my HMW Plisson brushes.
There was definite sensation from this brush (but not gel-like as with my Thater and Rooney Heritage XL brushes)
The CH3 ES definitely had scritch, but definitely not scratch.
The tips on this brush reminded my of my Rooney Finest brushes.

91 17,796
 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've been bit by the Chubby allure recently. You're review isn't helping either! Thankfully, due to the price tag, I will be holding off on that for quite a while.

Great review of this fantastic looking brush.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-10-2012, 06:57 PM)Tonality Wrote: I've been bit by the Chubby allure recently. You're review isn't helping either! Thankfully, due to the price tag, I will be holding off on that for quite a while.

Great review of this fantastic looking brush.

I must admit to being somewhat of a "Chubby -holic" myself.

Here is my Chubby 3 collection...

[attachment=1744]

[attachment=1745]
Old and new.

[attachment=1747]
From left to right: 3 Band, Extra Super (Pre Vulfix Manchurian), Manchurian, Best (Pre Vulfix) and 2 Band.

[attachment=1746]
From above, quite some variance in knots.

91 17,796
 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Very beautiful! The 2-band is of particular interest to me. Maybe once I'm out of school and have a solid job!

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Great review. Nice to see a review of the manchurian, vintage no less.

0 353
 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great Review! I've been thinking hard on purchasing a Chubby in the near future and I've been liking the recent reviews on them.

45 3,955
 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Chubby is a fantastic brush, but a bit of a lather hog! It consumes a little more product than others, but I've got plenty of soaps and creams etc so that's never really been much of a concern to me...

(05-10-2012, 08:14 PM)Brent Wrote: Great review. Nice to see a review of the manchurian, vintage no less.

I'll review my Chubby 3 in the NEW Manchurian soon...

(05-10-2012, 08:53 PM)tgutc Wrote: Great Review! I've been thinking hard on purchasing a Chubby in the near future and I've been liking the recent reviews on them.

The Chubby commands a serious investment, but is worth it IMO...

91 17,796
 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
And again!!! Wow!

75 20,883
 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I was lucky enough to try the Manchurian hair and I think it is quite special. It has just enough scritch with more backbone than the Best grade. It is certainly not cheap, but clearly well made and a great performer

9 541
 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-10-2012, 09:22 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: I was lucky enough to try the Manchurian hair and I think it is quite special. It has just enough scritch with more backbone than the Best grade. It is certainly not cheap, but clearly well made and a great performer

I think you have just defined Manchurian: "Quite special with just enough scritch, plenty of backbone and very expensive."

91 17,796