04-30-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
A lot of things changed since I started shaving "correctly" almost two years ago. With the recent move towards straight razors, my overall technique changed or improved as well, especially when it comes to lather.

I never liked these blades. That's not true. I hated them, they used to give me a very rough and unpleasant shave.
Today for some reason I decided to give them a go. My favorite DE of late is the old trusty Gillette LC NEW. You gotta love it. It is the last real razor gillette made in my opinion, because it demands some basic technique. You can get away with lousy technique using a Tech, a super speed and from there it is a slippery slope, covered with canned go, down to rocky bottom of carts. This is how Gillette won the razor/market war - if you were starting to wet shave in the 40's and had no clue or guidance - you could either chop yourself up with a brand new GEM or get a decent shave with a Tech, with minimal blood letting.

So a NEW, a Yellow and unusually thick LaToja Stick lather that clogged the razor... but the shave - an incredible DFS right after the first pass and very little to do in the second pass.

Now I need to revisit more blades... razors... soaps... this is a very good hobby to have.

6 808
 04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Glad you had a good experience with a DE again!

I'm not sure I agree about getting away with lousy technique using a Tech or Super Speed. It's true that you are less likely to get scraped or cut with one of these razors, but you are also less likely to get a shave. A mild razor with its very narrow blade gap requires a more critical blade angle to get an effective cut, and it can be difficult to maintain that critical angle over all the rises and falls in the countours of the face. It does indeed require some skill to get a close shave with a Tech.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-30-2014, 01:13 PM
User Info
Are you talking about DE and SE blades compared to straight razors, or are you referring to a specific brand of blades?

82 21,056
 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM
User Info
Celestino, he couldn't possibly be referencing SE blades, but DE blades. Angel

OK, back to reality... That's my question too.

Gal', you aren't the only person who has problems with DE blades. I'm down to a minimum of DE razors because of that and I've tried to like them for years. In fact I still use a few, but it gets fewer and fewer as time passes.

But about your post, that's precisely why I suggest to folks who have a gear failure to hold onto the hardware and revisit it at a later time. There are so many factors that are involved and for someone new to the craft to mentally state that it doesn't work for me now and forever is just a mountain of hubris. Hubris will result in lots of blood when it comes to shaving, and maybe that's a good thing. But that's another thread.

32 6,445