04-30-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
I was able to sample the eu de toilette at Pasteurs pharmacy, and I found myself addicted to this scent. Can someone elaborate on this as a shave soap. I think they have reformulated a couple of times. Does it smell similar to the cologne? Does it lather decently? I know it's expensive, so hard to pull the trigger on it, plus I don't really see too many use it.

1 184
 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
Kevin, the EF soap has gone through 2, possibly 3 formulations since the removal of tallow, around 2009. That tallow soap was an excellent performer. Just as with some other brands such as Trumper, however, the reformulation resulted in a product not worthy of sale at any price, let alone that of Pen's asking.
The last formulation which is now on sale as a refill only, is reasonable in performance but still not worth the asking price.

The Blenheim Bouquet soap has undergone another reformulation, the new Sartorial also being of the same. The EF has not followed due to Penhaligon's decision(unwisely IMO)to discontinue it.

The scent of the EF soap is not the same as the EdT. If I was you, I'd save your money. It isn't worth it.

31 5,293
 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM
User Info
I think that Pens English Fern and Blenehim Bouquet are great soaps - but only the original tallow formuala.Wink

Scent is not the main reason I buy shaving soap, performance and the feel of the skin post-shave are my main concerns. The Pens EF and BB are superb in that respect.

0 34
 04-30-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
It seems to me that the scent is fairly close to the EdT, but I only have the tallow formula and haven't tried or even smelled the others. This version of course lathers very well.

47 385
 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
You should try to get your hands on some of the old tallow formula.

45 3,955