Poll: Which Cartridge Razor Do You Prefer
 05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For you cartridge users, which brand do you prefer?

178 23,809
 05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The Feather ones look most elegant ... I'm likely going to get one for travel use.

102 18,652
 05-01-2014, 06:57 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(05-01-2014, 06:46 AM)Agravic Wrote: The Feather ones look most elegant ... I'm likely going to get one for travel use.

For travel - I use Bic Sensitive - which is single blade disposable. It's not pretty or comparable in shave performance to my DE - but multiblades give me a lot of irritation. This is the best thing I've found for carry-on safe razors.

17 535
 05-01-2014, 07:02 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(05-01-2014, 06:57 AM)v4257 Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 06:46 AM)Agravic Wrote: The Feather ones look most elegant ... I'm likely going to get one for travel use.

For travel - I use Bic Sensitive - which is single blade disposable. It's not pretty or comparable in shave performance to my DE - but multiblades give me a lot of irritation. This is the best thing I've found for carry-on safe razors.

Ah yes, the Bic Sensitive is what I have right now for travel.
In fact, Johnny was the one who introduced me to these nifty 'single edge' disposables!
I'm still going to give the Feather carts a try, despite my negative experiences with other multiblades in the past.
Thick stubble and multiblades don't agree in general ... maybe I'll go with the twin-blade version.

102 18,652
 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
User Info
The Bic I've always found horrible; just doesn't work for me. I spent the last three of four years on the road and carried the Trac II all around, and that's what I'd take if I had to do it again -- but that may change if the Feather works out.

29 1,776
 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(05-01-2014, 07:02 AM)Agravic Wrote: Ah yes, the Bic Sensitive is what I have right now for travel.
[..]I'm still going to give the Feather carts a try, despite my negative experiences with other multiblades in the past.
Thick stubble and multiblades don't agree in general ... maybe I'll go with the twin-blade version.

Of all the multiblades - Sensor worked best for me when I used carts. But now that I'm back on DE - the Sensor is just too harsh.

The Bic is not great by any means; my own plan is to carry my DE in a checked bag next time I travel.

17 535
 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My cartridge razors are a Gillette Mach 3 and a Sensor.

7 909
 05-01-2014, 08:36 AM
User Info
Trac II then Atra

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

1 2,827
 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
User Info
(05-01-2014, 08:36 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: Trac II then Atra

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Which trac2 blades do you prefer?

6 827
 05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I plan to give the Feather with twin-blade a try.

Years ago, when I used the Gillette Atra and the Schick Tracer, I did fine. I got my best results with the Schick Tracer in the shower, using only shampoo for "lather." I think the key to these good results was the beard soaking/prep that I got in the shower.

When the Mach 3 came out, I bought one. Unfortunately, I never could get through a complete shave with it. I would try it, fail, wait a few months and try it again. I went through this cycle several times and it never worked. The Mach 3 always felt like it was going to catch the skin and tear it. So, I never tried anything else with more than two blades in the head.

I like the fact that the Feather razors can lock the pivoting head. I have a beard and only shave my neck. Trimming along the beardline would be much easier with the head locked, and I just might prefer it overall that way. I'll have to see.

I can see some sense to a twin-bladed cartridge head, but adding more blades to the cartridge just strikes me, subjectively at least, as overkill. I'm interested in the Feather twin-blade, but the triple-bladed cartridges really don't interest me.

Thanks for testing these new razors, Johnny.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-01-2014, 12:35 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I go with a Sensor, but am intrigued by the Feathers.

0 1,137
 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
I bought my first Fusion three months ago just to see how it shaved and it was decent, but, boy, did I have to use a great deal of pressure to get a decent shave!

The one you have Johnny, the Feather, looks very intriguing, but I doubt I would ever buy another cartridge as I use DEs if I have to travel. Blush

83 21,078
 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I use a Gillette Guard. Sold in, and for, the India market, these are light plastic single blade cartridge razors that are very inexpensive, including the cost of blades, and serve my purpose when traveling or running late at home. They won't, however, replace a traditional DE or SE razor and blade combination.

[Image: iASxz01.jpg]

2 11,211
 05-01-2014, 02:00 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
voted for "other"
a "Trac ll" or T2 style frankenrazor, the BumpFighter or Flying Eagle (Trac ll clone) handle using Wilk. Super ll blades, works quite well with traditional prep. prefer the non-pivot style to the Atra, for it's injector-like shaving quality and mildness.
The Feather intrigues, however, and that handle looks serious. might like the pivot locking feature, which was originally available on the Schick Ultrex;
maybe I could live with the pivoting part or dial it out ?

Schick Hydro 3 is a very good tough beard razor, easy on the hide. The Hydro 5 is a joke, don't bother if your beard is even medium tough, it'll drag like there's no tomorrow.
lineup of existing Trac ll style blades:

Merkur Twin
Trac ll
Astra Twin
Wilkinson Super ll
Wilkinson Duplo Twin
Supermax S2
Personna Twin
NOS Schick SlimTwin / SchickTwin ll

Pivot twins:
NOS Schick Ultrex
Atra
Personna

quite a few choices here, shaving qualities vary, may mainly appeal to Injector users,
which is where this whole thing began !

0 1,291
 05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
User Info
 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I use a Mach 3 once or twice a week in the shower before leaving at 6:00 a.m. for work. (No time for a proper wet shave!)

60 843
 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(05-01-2014, 01:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I use a Gillette Guard. Sold in, and for, the India market, these are light plastic single blade cartridge razors that are very inexpensive, including the cost of blades, and serve my purpose when traveling or running late at home. They won't, however, replace a traditional DE or SE razor and blade combination.

What do you think of the Guard? I am very interested in trying this razor.

In India - replacement blades are sold for Rs 5 (8 cents US) and are cheaper than a quality DE blade like 7'o'clock black. As widely published - this is Gillette's attempt at migrating the lower end of the market away from DEs. Not sure how they're doing....

17 535
 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
The Gillette Fusion Proglide Power and Gillette Mach 3 Sensitive Power are my favorite cartridge brand. I also love the BIC Sensitive disposable. I used a Gillette Sensor for most of my shaving years and I still have a fondness for the Sensor.

1 750
 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I have a Harry's I haven't used in quite some time but it outperformed and was far more economical that any previous cart set up I had and I had several of them. I have no desire to use it ATM but no desire to get rid of it either. All the others are either thrown in a drawer in the garage or something or long gone, either way I could not tell you for sure the exact ones or where exactly they are. That one however, I know exactly where it is and it is in the box with 2 spare blades.

9 429
 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I can't vote, I simply use no cartridge razors, not even for traveling! Biggrin

26 4,928