Poll: Which Cartridge Razor Do You Prefer
 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-03-2014, 07:43 AM)v4257 Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 01:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I use a Gillette Guard. Sold in, and for, the India market, these are light plastic single blade cartridge razors that are very inexpensive, including the cost of blades, and serve my purpose when traveling or running late at home. They won't, however, replace a traditional DE or SE razor and blade combination.

What do you think of the Guard? I am very interested in trying this razor.

In India - replacement blades are sold for Rs 5 (8 cents US) and are cheaper than a quality DE blade like 7'o'clock black. As widely published - this is Gillette's attempt at migrating the lower end of the market away from DEs. Not sure how they're doing....

I read the same article. That would be typical of a huge conglomerate like P&G. I don't know how they'll get along in India but as a fast temporary replacement for a regular DE shave I think it beats the multi-blade wonders that the big companies overcharge for.

As for how I like the razor, it is difficult to cut oneself, the shave is, initially, pretty close, and the blade lasts through a decent number of uses. The downsides are that the razors are made of very light cheap plastic, the shave does not last as long as a good DE/SE shave, and they are not sold in local bricks & mortar Target, Walgreens, and the like making them not as convenient a choice as a Gillette Fusion or Schick Hydro in the United States.

2 5,000
 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM
User Info
(05-01-2014, 02:00 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: Merkur Twin
Trac ll
Astra Twin
Wilkinson Super ll
Wilkinson Duplo Twin
Supermax S2
Personna Twin
NOS Schick SlimTwin / SchickTwin ll

Pivot twins:
NOS Schick Ultrex
Atra
Personna

The Duplo is the same as the Super II. There are the Gallant II, Zorrik ZII and Laser II also from India in addition to Supermax.
The FII and PII are Chinese and Indian Trac II's. Dorco produce 2 or 3 different twin blade carts. There are the Wilkinson Sword WII/Profile blades.

The Ultrex blades are still widely available as the Ultra and the Exacta2 and Extra2 which compete with the Gillette Vector carts.

I haven't heard of Astra twins....

My favourite other is NOS Wilkinson Sword Profile Fixed or Swivel.

0 309
 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
you can check this out further, if you'd like. The Wilkinson Super ll for the US market, formerly were turned out at the Wilkinson GmBH plant in Stuttgart, then the US market Super ll's , same packaging, have been coming from China for about the last year.

The Wilkinson Duplo are Solingen and have the "blade squeegee" feature like a Merkur Twin.
I was thinking that they might *possibly* be rebadged Merkur Twins ? They ARE similar, in that they do use the same chrome, ceramic, and teflon coatings on the blades as the Wilkinson super ll's.

quick add-on: Astra was bought by Gillette in '96, and those Astra twin blades are (now) coming from Gillette-Poland. could they be the same as the Gillette-Poland Trac ll blades that are US market ?

Thanks for the additional blades you mentioned, I always like to try out new stuff.

(05-10-2014, 07:39 PM)Sabre Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 02:00 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: Merkur Twin
Trac ll
Astra Twin
Wilkinson Super ll
Wilkinson Duplo Twin
Supermax S2
Personna Twin
NOS Schick SlimTwin / SchickTwin ll

Pivot twins:
NOS Schick Ultrex
Atra
Personna

The Duplo is the same as the Super II. There are the Gallant II, Zorrik ZII and Laser II also from India in addition to Supermax.
The FII and PII are Chinese and Indian Trac II's. Dorco produce 2 or 3 different twin blade carts. There are the Wilkinson Sword WII/Profile blades.

The Ultrex blades are still widely available as the Ultra and the Exacta2 and Extra2 which compete with the Gillette Vector carts.

I haven't heard of Astra twins....

0 1,291
 05-17-2014, 05:10 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-10-2014, 07:39 PM)Sabre Wrote: There are the Wilkinson Sword WII/Profile blades.

. . .

I have a lot -- probably 100 or so -- of NOS Wilkinson Sword WII blades sitting in a box here, because I am too frugal to throw out anything that is just as good as when I bought it. As they say, your parents can really [verb] you up the most, and my mother instilled in me the "it's perfectly good, so you cannot throw it away" meme.

(05-01-2014, 02:00 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: voted for "other"

The Feather intrigues, however, and that handle looks serious.

Schick Hydro 3 is a very good tough beard razor, easy on the hide. The Hydro 5 is a joke, don't bother if your beard is even medium tough, it'll drag like there's no tomorrow.

I saw the Feather MR neo in a drugstore in Yokohama in March, picked up the package, and examined it as much as I could in the blister pack. I assumed it was JDM only, and was surprised when Phil reviewed it here a month later.

Your comment on the Schick Hydros differs from my experience, but my beard is probably not as tough as yours.

After a succession of Gillette variants: Trac II, Atra, Sensor, Mach 3, I defected to Schick with the Quattro, and much prefered the Schick to any of the Gillettes; my assumption has always been that Schick sets the blade angle within the cartridge slightly differently than Gillette does, and the Schick angle suits me better, but I never have confirmed that that is the reason I like the Schicks better.

I had been using the Schick Quattro Titanium for a couple of years until the local store stopped carrying Quattro blades when the Schick Hydros were introduced; so I jumped straight to the Hydro 5, and used that for a couple of years. Out of curiosity, I purchased a pack of Hydro 3 blades (all Hydro blades fit all Hydro handles), and honestly do not find any difference at all in the quality of the shave between the '5 and the '3, while the '3 blades are a bit less expensive. The '5 does have a "flip trimmer," which the '3 lacks, but I never used it, so there is no reason for me to pay extra for that.

1 1,282
 09-01-2014, 05:49 PM
  • geneb
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
Gillette gets the nod.

I never checked out the rest.

0 12
 09-02-2014, 02:37 AM
User Info
I really like the Gillette Guard. Fusion is great as well, not on my face though.

12 715
 09-02-2014, 04:19 AM
User Info
I like and still use my Harry's.
I'd be interested in giving the Gillette Guard a try.

10 1,051