Poll: Preferred Cartridge Blade Pole
 11-30-2014, 05:35 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I forgot to pack any de/se for Thanksgiving rushing up to Vermont but I knew I had an EJ XL v2 and some CRSW up here. I have not used a cartridge for quite some time but remember the Mach 3 worked fine for travel. So I picked up a Hydro 3 and some blades as I have never used one. My daily (and weekend) drivers are the Mongoose and Weber DLC and PH. Both great razors but I have to say even with a 3 day heavy growth the Hydro 3 (with proper prep) wowed me. Great shave, which I have to admit, easily matched the Mongoose & Webers. I am now thinking about the Feather MR3. No shame. These modern carts simply do work!

Max

42 1,041
 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-30-2014, 05:35 AM)VTMAX Wrote: I picked up a Hydro 3 and some blades as I have never used one. My daily (and weekend) drivers are the Mongoose and Weber DLC and PH. Both great razors but I have to say even with a 3 day heavy growth the Hydro 3 (with proper prep) wowed me. Great shave, which I have to admit, easily matched the Mongoose & Webers. I am now thinking about the Feather MR3. No shame. These modern carts simply do work!

Therein lies the rub. Ever since I began my Grand Experiment with DE shaving last spring, I have been aware that the best shaves that I can get with my Standard Razors razor loaded with either a GSB or PSI can be very good, but still no better than I can get -- and had been getting until I started the DE experiment -- with a Schick Hydro 3, using the same prep routine for both razors. And the time it took to achieve that result was less with the Hydro 3 than with the Standard Razors razor. (Part of the extra DE shaving time being the assembly before, and the disassembly and cleaning after, a shave with the DE razor, whereas a simple running water rinse of the cartridge razor sufficed.)

Then, in quick succession (not coincidentally following one of our trips to Japan in October), I had two moments of satori. First, I tried KAI blades in the Standard Razors razor and they were spectacular, suggesting that, with a little polishing of technique, the door might be open a crack for a better DE shave with KAI blades in the Standard Razors razor than any Hydro 3 shave. Then I tried the Feather MR3 neo, with which on the very first shave, I achieved closeness and smoothness and lack of irritation equal to any shave in my preceding 55 years of shaving -- and duplicated that result on the second shave with the MR3 neo the next day.

So now what?

1 1,110
 11-30-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
I liked Schick Tracers. I tried whatever the 3-blade replacement was at the time (Xtreme3 or something like that), and it was awful. I recently uncovered some of the Schick 3-blade disposables in my linen closet and took them on a trip. Not a good result at all. I haven't tried the Hydro 3. Maybe the Hydro series is better.

0 1,098
 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(11-30-2014, 04:46 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: [W]hatever the 3-blade replacement was at the time (Xtreme3 or something like that), and it was awful. I recently uncovered some of the Schick 3-blade disposables in my linen closet and took them on a trip. Not a good result at all. I haven't tried the Hydro 3. Maybe the Hydro series is better.

For whatever reason, the Schick disposables -- even those with the same brand name as the cartridge equivalent in the Schick line -- do not seem to work as well as the handle+cartridge Schicks. I crossed over from a long line of Gillette cartridge razors to a Schick Titanium Quattro a few years ago, and it was definitely an upgrade. Then I bought some Schick Quattro disposables for travel. Mistake.

I later upgraded to the Schick Hydro 5, which is better than the Titanium Quattro, then "back-leveled" to the Hydro 3 (no need for a new handle, the Hydro 3 cartridges fit the Hydro 5 handle). There is no performance difference between the Hydro 3 vs. the Hydro 5 unless you need the "flip trimmer," and the '3 is more maneuverable in tight spaces than the '5 is.

But the Feather MR3 neo beats them all -- at least cutting my beard. I think it is due to the cartridge's rolling metal bar, which preps the hair follicles to be sliced off -- but I may be wrong; it is the results that count, not the reason for the results.

1 1,110
 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Mel, I am looking forward to the MR3. It was back to the Mongoose this morning and it gave a great shave, but as I mentioned, with proper prep, so does the Hydro 3 which has been a nice discovery indeed. I see the MR3 carts are available which is encouraging.

Max

42 1,041
 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
I just ordered a second MR3 handle and some more FII carts; it's the most efficient 2-blade combo I've run across. The Schick Hydro 3 was a good shaver but the local drugstores only carry the 5-blade version and refills. I switched to the Mach3 and am now interested in a Bolin Webb handle.

I signed up for the Mongoose tour. I'm sure it will be an excellent shaver but ultimately too aggressive. The Kai Milds w/ Guard would be my last hope to make it work.

29 1,776
 12-01-2014, 11:08 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-01-2014, 10:43 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: The Schick Hydro 3 was a good shaver but the local drugstores only carry the 5-blade version and refills.

Bullgoose is a founder of this site, and I do not want to divert any business from Phil; but if it is a drugstore-type product that you want -- such as Schick Hydro 3 cartridges -- there is a little-known alternative for that kind of shaving supplies: drugstore.com, which is a subsidiary of Walgreen's. What sets it aside from other on-line drugstores is its arrangement with ShopRunner; if you make an American Express credit card the default form of payment (it must be American Express), two-day shipping is free. I cannot pretend to understand how that business model makes a profit, but if you order a package of Schick Hydro 3 cartridges and have registered your Amex card with drugstore.com and ShopRunner, the small package will arrive two days later, no shipping charges. Schick Hydro 3 refill cartridges

1 1,110
 12-01-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
Thank you. Sticking with Phil is another reason to keep on with the Feathers.

29 1,776
 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM
User Info
Will the Hydro5 handle fit the Hydro3 Carts?

I like the MR3 handle with the Fii cartridges, but find the usual -- better shaves with a DE for me, and using a cartridge to shave my head wears out the cartridge blades PDQ. Still, nice to use for a quick touch up this morning after shaving my head last night with as SE.

And, exactly as I hoped, the Feather MR3 razor is my go-to for airplane travel.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

7 315
 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-01-2014, 12:48 PM)wagstaff Wrote: Will the Hydro5 handle fit the Hydro3 Carts?

Yes, and vice versa: all Hydro cartridges fit on all Hydro handles.

(12-01-2014, 12:48 PM)wagstaff Wrote: I like the MR3 handle with the Fii cartridges,

Have you tried the MR3 cartridges? I have not tried the FIIs, but I note that the FII lacks the rolling perforated steel bar (located where the comb would be in an open-comb DE razor):

[Image: QxyCAa0.jpg]

. . . that the MR3 cartridge has, and which I surmise (without proof) is the reason that the MR3 neo razor shaves so closely -- just as I long have surmised (again without proof) that the reason the Schick Hydro cartridges are superior to the Gillette cartridges is the rounded-end spacers between the individual blades within the cartridge (Schick calls them "skin guards") that undoubtedly push down the skin between the cutting blades:

[Image: glTI2sv.jpg]

1 1,110
 12-01-2014, 02:13 PM
User Info
I voted "Other". My favorite cartridge is the Gillette Guard.

0 836
 12-02-2014, 11:53 PM
User Info
I used one MR3 cartridge. I don't have a take on your theories. I'm concerned when things get more blades, so went to the Fii cartridge after the first MR3.

I didn't really notice one getting closer than the other, but I didn't test very carefully. I still have some MR3 cartridges, too... but once I figured out that this razor was not going to be my head-shaver, I pretty much put it away for travel. I've used it less than 10 times since buying it, in other words.

Sorry I don't have more input!

Thanks for the answer about the Hydro -- I believe I have a handle around still. Not sure where it is at the moment... but I might look at a Hydro 3 cartridge in a pinch, at some point.

7 315
 12-19-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
Since discovering wet shaving completely went away from cartridges due to costs and performance.

Started using disposables. Selected the now discontinued BIC metals. Always nice consistent good shaves.

Needed to find a replacement. The dual schick disposables are at a much different angle than other disposables. Required some experimentation to locate the proper blade angles. Nice shaves but too much work.

IMO the Noxzema dual blade pivoting head made in Japan are the best. Sharp and smooth with easy effort. Also planning to shave with the dual bic blade with strip made in France.

0 10
 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
User Info
i will never find out which one to prefer because i have not and will not experiment with cartridges.

7 1,624
 12-24-2014, 08:49 PM
User Info
(11-30-2014, 12:14 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(11-30-2014, 05:35 AM)VTMAX Wrote: I picked up a Hydro 3 and some blades as I have never used one. My daily (and weekend) drivers are the Mongoose and Weber DLC and PH. Both great razors but I have to say even with a 3 day heavy growth the Hydro 3 (with proper prep) wowed me. Great shave, which I have to admit, easily matched the Mongoose & Webers. I am now thinking about the Feather MR3. No shame. These modern carts simply do work!

Therein lies the rub. Ever since I began my Grand Experiment with DE shaving last spring, I have been aware that the best shaves that I can get with my Standard Razors razor loaded with either a GSB or PSI can be very good, but still no better than I can get -- and had been getting until I started the DE experiment -- with a Schick Hydro 3, using the same prep routine for both razors. And the time it took to achieve that result was less with the Hydro 3 than with the Standard Razors razor. (Part of the extra DE shaving time being the assembly before, and the disassembly and cleaning after, a shave with the DE razor, whereas a simple running water rinse of the cartridge razor sufficed.)

Then, in quick succession (not coincidentally following one of our trips to Japan in October), I had two moments of satori. First, I tried KAI blades in the Standard Razors razor and they were spectacular, suggesting that, with a little polishing of technique, the door might be open a crack for a better DE shave with KAI blades in the Standard Razors razor than any Hydro 3 shave. Then I tried the Feather MR3 neo, with which on the very first shave, I achieved closeness and smoothness and lack of irritation equal to any shave in my preceding 55 years of shaving -- and duplicated that result on the second shave with the MR3 neo the next day.

So now what?

Well, this is interesting. I have shaved a few times with the MR3, now, and find it decent. But I don't get as close/comfortable with it as I do with my SE or DE razors. So I don't see this as "arguably the finest shaving instrument" or any such, though it is safe for a very fast shave, and does a good job. I also didn't really find any reason to prefer the MR3 cartridges over the Fii. I'm not sure what that "roller guard" thing does, truth. I don't like the plastic tab sticking up at the top off the Fii, but that's the only downside near as I can tell.

Great travel razor, because I can't be bothered to mail blades and then figure out good disposal of them, while carrying on a bladeless razor. So the MR3 system, while as nice as cartridge I've ever used, is going to be for the occasional hurried shower-shave, and for travel. For a close comfortable shave, I'll use my Stoll lather catcher. Or Parker 24c. Or Mongoose. Or Gem 1912. Or Weber DLC. Or iKon SB. ... etc.

Travel with straights would be even more of a pain than DEs. But my list of preferred razors might look very different if my skills with a straight were up to par!

7 315
 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
User Info
when i used to use them hydro hands down nothing else compared for me.

16 660
 01-25-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
I voted what I already have. Note that I did not test all of these to make my choice. Of course, in some mysterious ways the Mach3 is where I ended up in the last years before 
_shaving consciously_

Philipp

21 1,175
 01-30-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
I've been using Gillette Sensor 3 carts.

16 1,980
 01-31-2015, 04:43 PM
User Info
(05-01-2014, 06:47 AM)Johnny Wrote: We have a poll for the razors so now we have one for the blades. Cast your vote and voice you opinions.

You need to add a "none of the above" choice.

40 years of feeling chapped and slapped drove me to traditional wetshaving.  

0 284
 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM
User Info
(11-30-2014, 04:46 PM)Shannon Wrote: I liked Schick Tracers.  I tried whatever the 3-blade replacement was at the time (Xtreme3 or something like that), and it was awful. I recently uncovered some of the Schick 3-blade disposables in my linen closet and took them on a trip.  Not a good result at all.  I haven't tried the Hydro 3.  Maybe the Hydro series is better.

I also liked the Schick Tracer Razor & Cartridge always got good close shaves from them !!!!

0 8