05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
My first brush restorations were of some Ever Ready handles, basically plastic shells with large hollow cavities. I used mine (black and red 300) before restoration and it always felt too light in my hands. Same feeling for many of the brushes I have bought since as well. So during restoration I added two 1g fishing line weights as well as filled the handles with epoxy to give me a heavy feeling brush. I really enjoy the weight in my hands and it feels as though I have more control over the brush.

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital scale, or else I would be weighing all my brushes to give better data.

So, how about you? Do you have a preference towards a heavier or lighter brush? Why? It seems like such a simple thing, but it honestly makes quite a large difference. The added weight makes the brush feel more like an extension of my arm, rather than something I'm just holding.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I like big brushes. More in terms of knot size, which usually equates to a larger handle too. I'm not overly excited by heavy brushes though. That said I do love the weight of my 2 genuine Ivory Plisson brushes.

91 17,851
 05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
Balance is important to me. I do like the heft of some of my resin handles and especially oft new Muhle Basic synthetic. That handle is heavy. However, I also really like my SOC handles which are significantly lighter, but their length gives them great balance.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:42 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Balance is important to me. I do like the heft of some of my resin handles and especially oft new Muhle Basic synthetic. That handle is heavy. However, I also really like my SOC handles which are significantly lighter, but their length gives them great balance.

I hadn't thought much of the SOC in terms of this, but I think I would have to agree with you, the length does balance it out for the lack of weight.

35 1,732
 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
It seems that I like a heavier brush, but I haven't had too many brushes to compare too. The lightest brush I have is a VDH, and I don't like the feel of it nearly as much as I do the heavier, higher quality brushes.

1 223
 05-10-2012, 08:12 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I like heavier weighted brushes, I've tried hollow core bushes and didn't like it. Balance seemed off and seemed cheap.

I agree, more so than balance it seems like the extension of your arm. I agree though on the SOC. Lighter but somehow makes up for it.

0 353
 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Yet another thing I never given much though... I suspect that balance is more important than weight, as has been pointed out already.

Now my Better Half is going to wonder why I stand in the bathroom waving my brushes around this evening Hmm

3 3,577
 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 08:34 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Yet another thing I never given much though... I suspect that balance is more important than weight, as has been pointed out already.

Now my Better Half is going to wonder why I stand in the bathroom waving my brushes around this evening Hmm

WW, I think you may have stumbled into a custom title here.

WegianWarrior, the Harry Potter brush waver! Laughing1

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
Hmmm, I never thought of that. You make me think, and there may be something to the idea.

I just weighed my brushes and they weigh from a light 30 grams to a heavy 60 grams. My brushes aren't large either.

I don't think I prefer one over another, they're just different feeling. Substantially different. Now that you've brought it to my attention I'll be more aware no doubt.

Interesting.

32 6,309
 05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I restored an Ever Ready and filled in about 1/2 the volume of the handle with some silicone caulk. That was mostly to set the knot, but it also added a little heft.

I think there is a sweet spot. I had a metal and horn Joris which was quite hefty. I also have a semogue 1305 which is too light for my preferences. Its nice when the brush feels substantial, but too much weight can make it uncomfortable. I'd rather have less than more. The resins used for most modern brushes seem to be the perfect density.

9 541
 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
User Info
Never thought of weight. Now that I think about it... Probably lighter since I have the tendency of slapping the crap out of my face with a fast flicking motion when I lather up. Weight could be a detriment in that respect.

2 697
 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've generally liked my implements a bit more substantial, but the shortness of the shaving brush makes it a lot less important to me. A pool cue, in contrast, drives me nuts if it's too light, I feel like the tip is jumping around all over.

Really light bugs me, as would really heavy. But my acceptable range is pretty wide.

Really light also tends to come along with hollow plastic, which can make my grip feel precarious if I feel like the handle shifts around when gripped tightly.

10 1,858
 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
my heaviest brush is also my favorite. i found a marble handle at an antique shop and had Rudy Vey replace the bristles with a 2-band shavemac in flat-top. It is definitely my favorite, but more due to the fact that it's a shavemac. One of the things I do love about it is that due to its weight, I have to be more attentive during the shave. One small lapse and I could drop that beautiful brush which will likely crack the marble. Always a fantastic concentrated shave with that brush and it helps.

8 118
 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(05-11-2012, 09:57 AM)texaninkc Wrote: my heaviest brush is also my favorite. i found a marble handle at an antique shop and had Rudy Vey replace the bristles with a 2-band shavemac in flat-top. It is definitely my favorite, but more due to the fact that it's a shavemac. One of the things I do love about it is that due to its weight, I have to be more attentive during the shave. One small lapse and I could drop that beautiful brush which will likely crack the marble. Always a fantastic concentrated shave with that brush and it helps.

Sounds like a beautiful brush, you should show it off!

35 1,732
 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 09:59 AM)Tonality Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 09:57 AM)texaninkc Wrote: my heaviest brush is also my favorite. i found a marble handle at an antique shop and had Rudy Vey replace the bristles with a 2-band shavemac in flat-top. It is definitely my favorite, but more due to the fact that it's a shavemac. One of the things I do love about it is that due to its weight, I have to be more attentive during the shave. One small lapse and I could drop that beautiful brush which will likely crack the marble. Always a fantastic concentrated shave with that brush and it helps.

Sounds like a beautiful brush, you should show it off!

I agree! We must needs see this brush! The flat top shape intrigues me.

31 7,914
 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info

Sounds gorgeous. I want to see pics, too. I am severely tempted by Rod Neep's soapstone brushes, too.

If you didn't crack the handle you might put a hole in the sink. O.o

Or do what I did and crack your lather bowl in half. Thank goodness it was a clean break and reset nicely with epoxy.

10 1,858
 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
I'll have pics up tomorrow. I took some with my phone and tried to capture the marble. Not at a computer but these will go up as soon as I get to one.

8 118
 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
Here's what the brush looked like before the transplant.

[Image: pre1w.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Image: pre2h.jpg]

First received. As you could tell it's hard to capture the pattern and the colors.

[Image: post1e.jpg]

[Image: post3d.jpg]

comparison shot with Rooney Beehive 1

[Image: post2tt.jpg]

And after about 30 uses (today)

[Image: post4n.jpg]

[Image: post5k.jpg]

8 118
 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
That looks like quite the hefty brush, looks great!

35 1,732
 05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:04 PM)Tonality Wrote: Unfortunately, I don't have a digital scale, or else I would be weighing all my brushes to give better data.

Perhaps try your local post office? They often have scales on one of the tables to weigh letters and small parcels. The post office near me has small unequal arm balance scales from the old days which have better than 1 ounce accuracy. Your post office might also have these. If not, then you might be able to use the scale on the automated kiosk.

0 303