05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Ron, I used it for the most part with the head allowed to pivot. I haven't used anything like this in a long time, and I seemed to make better contact with the whiskers when I allowed it to pivot. I may try it next time locked and see how quickly I can get a sense of proper blade angle for a cartridge head. Tactile feedback and the interpretation thereof are very different from our more traditional razors.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
User Info
Had a smooth irritation free shave this am. Will be my go to cart.

1 85
 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
I'm finding that I don't really care for the low pivot of the Feather razor. It's better than the Mach3 and the Fusion that pivot under the cartridge, but I think I prefer the center pivot of my old Schick Tracer and Gillette Atra/Contour.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One of the features I like is that you can lock the blade and use your wrist as the pivot, kind of like you do with a DE.

174 23,727
 05-09-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
I've never considered where the pivot point on these things resides and haven't a clue about how that affects the shave, so maybe I should start paying closer attention.

Murray, I wanted to like the Tracer and felt it was a design that in many ways was superior to the Sensor, but after going through two sets of blades, the regular and diamond-coated, every shave felt rough to me, so I ditched the whole system. Pity.

26 1,758
 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
(05-09-2014, 05:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: One of the features I like is that you can lock the blade and use your wrist as the pivot, kind of like you do with a DE.

Johnny, for me the low pivot makes it harder to sense blade angle when the cartridge is locked.

(05-09-2014, 07:26 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: Murray, I wanted to like the Tracer and felt it was a design that in many ways was superior to the Sensor, but after going through two sets of blades, the regular and diamond-coated, every shave felt rough to me, so I ditched the whole system. Pity.

Ron, that's YMMV at its best. I really liked the Tracer, though I haven't used it for a long time and it might strike me differently now.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-10-2014, 08:48 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
I decided to manage blade angle myself tonight and I locked the pivot on the cartridge (i.e. No pivot). Though I had thought I would have more difficulty "reading" the proper angle with the low pivot, that turned out not to be the case and I liked it better "locked" than "free."

I'm getting used to this cartridge set-up, though I prefer it without lather, using instead the very thin Oliveology gel. These blades are Feather sharp, but the cartridge itself is very mild. I can't use a Feather DE blade without problems, but these Feather cartridges work very well for me.

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-04-2015, 06:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Resurrecting an old thread here, as I research methods and techniques with these <shudder> cartridge razors.  
Interesting how times change; I'm now nervous about using cartridge razors after not using them for several years.

[Image: taFRcCD.jpg]

102 18,150
 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
With that razor it is easy.  Just place the blade head flat on your face or the shaving area, and take a stroke.

174 23,727
 07-04-2015, 07:43 PM
User Info
Mmmmm, no! Wink

61 3,796
 07-04-2015, 11:54 PM
User Info
What did you think Ravi?

7 1,182
 07-05-2015, 06:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
[Image: p1Qm94y.jpg]

It's been at least 3 years since I used a cartridge razor, and Fusion was the last one I used.  5-blade cartridges do NOT work for me, as my stubble combined with lather clogs up the cartridges far too easily.

Feather NEO FII 2-blade. 

Remarkably good results with this cartridge razor.

Almost as close as the results obtained with my better DE/SE razors/blades, but not quite.

The most unsettling thing with the cartridge razors is the pressure needed to engage the blades; counter-intuitive at this time for me.

DE/SE razors are more enjoyable for me at this time, although the Feather NEO seems practical for travel, especially if taking only carry-on bags.

This experience has reinforced one commonality of wet-shaving though : the importance of prep, lather, technique.

102 18,150
 07-05-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
Ravi, did you lock the head? I find it comes even closer to duplicating a DE shave. The blades were plenty sharp; I knew I was using a Feather.

26 1,758
 07-05-2015, 07:24 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(07-05-2015, 07:21 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: Ravi, did you lock the head? I find it comes even closer to duplicating a DE shave. The blades were plenty sharp; I knew I was using a Feather.

No, I did not.

I will do so with next shave.

Thanks.

102 18,150
 07-05-2015, 07:42 AM
User Info
Looks like rad hit again, I now have a new travel razor, thanks.

34 830
 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM
User Info
I am awaiting a metallic Atra razor to see how it goes, just in case of any emergency.  Biggrin

82 21,002
 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-05-2015, 06:37 AM)Agravic Wrote:
[Image: p1Qm94y.jpg]

It's been at least 3 years since I used a cartridge razor, and Fusion was the last one I used.  5-blade cartridges do NOT work for me, as my stubble combined with lather clogs up the cartridges far too easily.

Feather NEO FII 2-blade. 

Remarkably good results with this cartridge razor.

Almost as close as the results obtained with my better DE/SE razors/blades, but not quite.

The most unsettling thing with the cartridge razors is the pressure needed to engage the blades; counter-intuitive at this time for me.

DE/SE razors are more enjoyable for me at this time, although the Feather NEO seems practical for travel, especially if taking only carry-on bags.

This experience has reinforced one commonality of wet-shaving though : the importance of prep, lather, technique.

You missed a bet, however, in not using the cartridge that was designed specifically for the handle (the MR3 neo cartridge); it incorporates a lot more technical innovation than the base-level FII cartridge does.  After 45 years or so of shaving with cartridges, in May of 2014 I started a one-year trial (it was intended to be one year at the start, but interruptions, mainly air travel, have extended it a few months) of using DE razors.  The idea was to give DE shaving a good fair trial before deciding whether I could get a better shave with a DE razor -- any DE razor/blade combination --than I had been getting with the advanced modern cartridge razor (Schick Hydro3) that I had been using at the time I started the trial.  (I do not want to hurt any feelings here, but using a Trac2 clone as an exemplar of the competence of a cartridge razor - as some have done -- is stacking the deck; if one wants to show off his manliness by dissing cartridges, then at least man-up to try out a cartridge system designed in this century.) In the midst of that trial, while in Japan and with my DE razor at home (mostly I do not check any bag when flying so I cannot carry a DE with me), I purchased a Feather MR3 neo, which came with three MR3 cartridges, one already mounted plus two spares.  It immediately became my new travel razor of choice, and very quickly replaced the Schick Hydro3 as my standard of reference for how well a razor can shave.

I shall reiterate the last seven words of the preceding paragraph:  there is no modifier of “razor” in the phrase, “for how well a razor can shave.”  In the year of DE shaving, I have used 25 Gillette Silver Blues, 20 Wizamet Iridium Supers, ten KAI blades, five SuperMax Platinums, two Astra Platinums, and one Personna Med Prep in three very different DE razors (Standard Razors, iKon Stainless Slant DLC, and one-off prototype offered by a Shavenook contributor), and I have achieved some shaves -- all of them using the KAI blades in the iKon -- that were the equal in closeness and comfort to the shaves that I achieve with the Feather MR3 neo.  But, in a year’s worth of trials, I never have bettered in closeness and comfort the shaves that I achieve every single time with the Feather MR3 neo.  Before I finish my trial of DE shaving, I plan to load up on some more KAI DE blades to see if, with practice, I can get to the same every-single-shave level of perfection that I get with the MR3 neo; but getting to that level with the Feather MR3 neo (with the three-blade MR3 neo cartridges) took no practice at all; I was there on Day One.

0 952
 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Well my razor handle did come with 3 MR3 cartridges, so I'll try one of them next! Smile

102 18,150
 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
After reading more about this razor I may give it a try, at least as a carry-on travel razor.  I haven't bought a cartridge in probably 10 years and the ones I own are that old, but they never get used.

How's the weight?  Just like a regular plastic razor?

61 3,796
 07-06-2015, 01:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-06-2015, 01:40 PM)Agravic Wrote: Well my razor handle did come with 3 MR3 cartridges, so I'll try one of them next! Smile

In this post in this forum, I went over some of the features in the MR3 neo cartridge that are missing in other cartridges.

0 952