07-22-2017, 06:20 PM
User Info
I have an MR3 on the way from Bullgoose. Thanks for the discount deal on the MR3 Phil.  

Old thread...but thanks for everyone's input.  I usually check my bag, but need a cartridge for the times I can't.

17 1,413
 07-23-2017, 04:38 AM
User Info
(07-22-2017, 06:20 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: I have an MR3 on the way from Bullgoose. 

My experience with the Feather MR3 Neo Cartridge purchased from Bullgoose (also with using the Fii cartridges) has been excellent.

It shaves far better thea Gillette Trac III without the ingrown hairs I experienced with the Gillette, although others say the opposite so YMMV.

Besides using the MR3 for travel convenience and an occasional time-rushed daily shave I often use the MR3 on the final pass of a more leisurely close shave.  It smooths the difficult spots with no danger of nicks.

I think you'll be pleased.

0 14
 07-23-2017, 05:52 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...if i had discovered the MR3  in the beginning, i would have saved a lot of money...

45 1,066
 07-23-2017, 06:52 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-22-2017, 06:20 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: I have an MR3 on the way from Bullgoose. Thanks for the discount deal on the MR3 Phil.  

Old thread...but thanks for everyone's input.  I usually check my bag, but need a cartridge for the times I can't.

Thank you Tom! I think that you will be pleased.

46 18,330
 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I always liked the shave from the MR3.  My big concern was the need to buy the blades from BullGoose and other shaving shops.  

I did switch gradually to DE shaving.  I now buy my DE blades from BullGoose and other shaving shops..

4 389
 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-22-2017, 06:20 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: I have an MR3 on the way from Bullgoose.

Congratulations, and welcome to the club, Tom.  

You know my evaluation of the MR3, both from our conversation in person, and from my November 2016 post in this thread.  I think that you are going to love your MR3.  

Aside from the convenience of being able to bring the MR3 with you into a commercial airplane cabin, there is another area where the MR3 is much handier than a DE.  If (as I do) you disassemble, wash, and towel dry the parts of your DE razor at the end of your shave, you know the sinking feeling when you realize several minutes later that you missed a spot of your beard.  (Mine is usually below the rear of my left sideburn, just in front of my ear.)  Reassembling the DE razor just to get that spot you missed is kind of a PITA, but if you do not take care of the problem now, you will be aware of it and distracted the rest of the day.  The MR3 is the answer to taking care of the problem now without the hassle of reassembly now.

1 1,086
 07-23-2017, 11:48 AM
User Info
(07-23-2017, 11:42 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

Congratulations, and welcome to the club, Tom.  

You know my evaluation of the MR3, both from our conversation in person, and from my November 2016 post in this thread.  I think that you are going to love your MR3.  

Our conversation a few weeks back put the gears in motion.  Thanks Tom!

17 1,413
 07-23-2017, 01:06 PM
User Info
If there's a razor which I have a hankering, it is this one.

8 915
 07-27-2017, 10:20 AM
User Info
[Image: TFcoN8J.jpg]

Looking forward to trying it out...

17 1,413
 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
This razor has really triggered my curiosity... I only use Gillette cartridges, and in all of them it is more or less easy to get rid of the lube strip, something that really bothers me. Has anyone tried removing them in this razor?.

0 49
 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
Over the last week I had about 4 shaves with the Feather MR3 Neo with the included 3 blade cartridges.  If I had had this razor 10 or 15 years ago, I would've been in heaven.  Very smooth and consistent shave.  It is not as close as my go-to SE razors (Rx and Cobra) but gives a very nice shave.  One thing I'd highlight is the consistency--- the closeness and smoothness are consistent throughout the shave area, something I had not achieved with cartridges in the past (Trac II and Fusion) and honestly not with DEs that have a similar efficiency level (some areas are "patchy" with the DEs, MR3 is consistent throughout). The MR3 is not as efficient or as close as my DEs (weber, variant, guerrilla) on a two pass shave but it does give a very acceptable 2 pass DFS with stubble making a reappearance 3 or 4 hours later.  No clogging with a couple of days growth and the pivot head is intriguing, although I haven't figured out what works best for me -- 4 direction or 2 direction pivot.  My only complaint is the handle is a touch too long for me when shaving my neck -- a minor complaint.

For travel or the odd "day off" this is a great razor.  It will stay in the den and I'll order some back up cartridges...

[Image: b2exaYx.jpg]

17 1,413
 08-07-2017, 07:53 PM
User Info
Good write-up Tom, I have one in the mail (slowly making its way here from China). Did you find the shaves consistent from shave 1 through 4? I ask, because my travel razor (Gillette fusion) starts out good for the first couple - then rapidly deteriorates. I'm really pushing it to get 5+ shaves - and that's barely a weeks travel time. Hoping the MR3 neo is stable through 5 shaves. (By stable: I mean that it's not missing whiskers on my 4-pass shave, and the blade dulls slowly - else my neck will let me know with irritation).

27 1,080
 08-07-2017, 08:16 PM
User Info
I think 1-4 were very consistent shave to shave.  Shave 1 might have been a hair sharper but it's hard to tell since it was my first go with it.  I'd feel comfortable saying that 5 good shaves is very doable.  I'd take it on a weeklong trip without hesitation.  I actually am hoping between 5 and 10 shave is doable, but we'll see.  I haven't gone back through the thread, but maybe Mel S. Meles has some history on that.

17 1,413
 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-07-2017, 08:16 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: I think 1-4 were very consistent shave to shave.  Shave 1 might have been a hair sharper but it's hard to tell since it was my first go with it.  I'd feel comfortable saying that 5 good shaves is very doable.  I'd take it on a weeklong trip without hesitation.  I actually am hoping between 5 and 10 shave is doable, but we'll see.  I haven't gone back through the thread, but maybe Mel S. Meles has some history on that.

Maybe I do.  Your experience, so far, is with a fresh cartridge and four shaves.  In longer term use, I have regularly been able to get a dozen and more good shaves from a MR3 neo cartridge.  But there is a caveat:  those shaves were on consecutive days during extended trips away from home.  Generally, the MR3 neo is my traveling wing man, and when I am home, I shave with a DE and KAI or Feather DE blades.  When I am back home and I pick up and use the MR3 neo with the used cartridge from my out-of-town trip already loaded on it after it has sat in the cabinet for a couple of weeks, it never feels as sharp as it did when I was using it on the road the last time I shaved with it.  Now, subjective impressions are not very reliable in matters like, “how sharp is my blade this morning,” especially when the two instances are separated by two weeks, and psychological bias-confirmation responses can enter into such subjective evaluations.  So take my observations with a big dose of salt.  But they are what they are.  

Now, as to your earlier comment on August 7 at 16:33:

wreck | fish Wrote:The MR3 is not as efficient or as close as my DEs (weber, variant, guerrilla) on a two pass shave but it does give a very acceptable 2 pass DFS with stubble making a reappearance 3 or 4 hours later.

I make a modest suggestion that I hope that this site will allow you to read.  

An experiment of using La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with Donkey Milk) shaving soap may alter your perception of the Feather MR3 neo.  So far as I am aware, the only source to purchase that specific shave soap is The Superior Shave which is located in Jacksonville, Florida.   At some time in the very recent past, The Superior Shave was a site sponsor, and — for all I know — The Superior Shave may still be a site sponsor, as the listing on this board of site sponsors has not been updated in five years.  

However, when, in a recent (July 3) post, I mentioned two excellent shaving soaps, (1) Mystic Water and (2) La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise, and inserted a link to The Superior Shave as the only source of the latter, a moderator not only removed the link to The Superior Shave but also removed the reference to La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise entirely, inserting in its place a comment relating to Mystic Water.  
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid813871.  
So I can only speculate whether a mention of La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise has become a tabu reference on this board.  If so, I apologize in advance for once again making mention of that brand of shaving soap.

Anyway, should my reference in this post to La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with Donkey Milk) soap survive, I will reiterate observations that I have made in the past:  
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid798799
. . . where I have observed that it is an exceptional shaving soap in many respects.  It contains no tallow, but a LOT of donkey milk, which means it is not vegan:  how many shaving soaps are there like that?  More importantly, it is — by at least one order of magnitude, and probably by more than one order of magnitude — the slickest shaving soap that I ever have encountered.  The obverse of its slickness, however, is that it is not super protective:  it provides very little “cushion”; you’re on your own, kid.    

As you no doubt have discovered, the Feather MR3 neo has been engineered in such a way as to make nicking oneself, for all intents and purposes, impossible.  With a razor like that, you can use a soap like (there may be no other other soap like) La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with Donkey Milk) with wild abandon.  You do not need protection, you do not need cushion, with a Feather MR3 neo.  Swing for the fences:  there is no penalty.  

And you may just get the closest shave of your life.

1 1,086
 08-08-2017, 09:06 PM
User Info
Good info Tom.  I'll check it out.  As it is, I found that making a less dense lather made for an easier  shave, so your comments make sense.

17 1,413