05-01-2014, 10:33 PM
User Info
Finally bought an Alum block by Gent Jon on Amazon. Great price for the size of the block and the neat container it came in.

[Image: Slider1.jpg]

So....I've never used any Alum before so I got a question.

This morning I shaved as usual (ended up using a '24 SE razor, some Arko).

After the shave I rinsed my face in water and wetted the alum block and gently stroked it over my face.

After that I washed my face again but now there was significant 'friction' on my face. My hands didn't 'glide' over my face but rather had to move them over my face with some effort due to the 'grip' my face now had.

I could also tell there was some residue on my face.
Same feeling when I a few minutes later applied an aftershave.

Is this normal - and if so how do you deal with the 'residue/film' and the 'grip' your face now have?

0 338
 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
User Info
Unless you have bleeding or a skin problem IMO the alum block is of little worth. It exists to prevent infection.

I can't help beyond that. I use an alum block on my underarms and in that it excels.

For a serious cut that's bleeding a styptic pencil type of alum is required, but that's different.

32 6,458
 05-02-2014, 04:35 AM
User Info
Residue is normal, after all some like to rub alum on their fingers to get a better grip on their razors when wet. I shave before I shower - so I rinse off the alum as I wash.

I use alum after every shave to get an instant feedback on the shave; no stinging means no nicks Wink

Like Brian I use alum as a deodorant - a different piece than goes on my face, but that's because it's a bigger hunk of crystal goodness.

3 4,481
 05-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I use alum after every shave as a skin toner and for it's mild antiseptic qualities. I apply as you did and let dry a bit before rinsing it off. Then apply some AS. You may not have rinsed it off sufficiently if you are getting that "grippy" feeling.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-02-2014, 05:45 AM
User Info
Alum gives me a rash. I avoid it and have had no need for it. Many people use it though and the tackiness is a usual result.

31 8,057
 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-02-2014, 05:45 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Alum gives me a rash. I avoid it and have had no need for it. Many people use it though and the tackiness is a usual result.

I am going to disagree on tackiness being the usual result. I never have a tacky feeling after thoroughly rinsing my face and drying with a towel. I use it daily but never to enhance my finger grip for skin stretching where it is applied but not rinsed off. Used that way it will be tacky to aid in grip until it is thoroughly rinsed off.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-02-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
You don't really need it unless you have nicks or weepers.
Witch hazel works much better to tone your skin or a good balm, in my opinion.
No harm in using it, but it isn't essential.
Good luck.

82 21,077
 05-02-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
(05-02-2014, 07:08 AM)BobH Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 05:45 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Alum gives me a rash. I avoid it and have had no need for it. Many people use it though and the tackiness is a usual result.

I am going to disagree on tackiness being the usual result. I never have a tacky feeling after thoroughly rinsing my face and drying with a towel. I use it daily but never to enhance my finger grip for skin stretching where it is applied but not rinsed off. Used that way it will be tacky to aid in grip until it is thoroughly rinsed off.

Bob

Well yes, of course if thoroughly rinsed there should be no tackiness as the alum would be gone.

31 8,057
 05-02-2014, 09:19 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I find the Alum rinses off easily with a little Witch Hazel. I put the Alum on . Then I clean up my brush razor sink etc. Then rinse my face with cold water. I follow up the rinse with some witch Hazel and then some scent. No residual problems. The trick is probably to let the alum sit and dry for a few minutes before the Witch Hazel.

68 1,068
 05-02-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
I finish the shave with a hot rinse to get the left over lather off my face. Then I rinse the alum block with cold water and apply it to my face. After I rise with cold water to get the residue off and then apply aftershave. Works for me, and leaves me smooth!

0 42
 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
Thanks all.
Gonna keep at it for a week or two and see if it makes a difference for my post-shaving feel.

If not..I guess I can repurpose it to be used for my underarms Smile

0 338
 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
Could be the quality of the Alum. I find that cheaper blocks leave a chalky residue. They can be irritating due to contaminants or use of ammonium alum. Better alum blocks like Osma, Hyalin etc. leave no residue for me

3 742
 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I don't find it creates a problem. I like the astringent qualities. Some splashes have alum as an ingredient, too. I find no residue is left, just a nice 'grimed-up' feeling. Always use it.

0 1,760