05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
Last weekend I hauled home a quartet of razors, including a GEM Micromatic, a Gillette Blue Tip, a Gillette Red Tip, and a triangle port fat handle Tech with no date code. I spent a bunch of time cleaning them up, and was excited to try them. The one I was most excited for was the Tech.

I've been wet shaving with a Merkur 34C for the past few weeks. Initially, I had some nicks and weepers, but have really started getting the hang of it with a Personna Lab Blue. Shaves are now better than my old Mach 3 cart razor, and weepers are pretty rare.

So I put a Personna Lab Blue in the Tech last weekend, and figured I was in for a nice, mild shave. I ended up washing a bunch of blood down the drain and getting some severe razor burn on my neck. I figured it was because I used too much pressure. My next shave with the Merkur was great, and they've been great all week. So I went back to the Tech this morning, using the same light touch I've been using with the Merkur.

Again, I'm paying for it. Lots of time stinging from the styptic pencil, more burn when I was jogging later this morning, and a bunch of red bumps all over my neck. I think this "mild" razor is trying to kill me.

Is this common with the fat handle techs? Could it be a blade issue? The same blade in the Merkur gives great shaves.

Whatever it is, I'm now completely scared crapless to try the Red Tip, as they're supposed to be even more aggressive.

Do I have an odd vampire Tech, or is this common with these razors? What do you do about this?

0 18
 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
The Tech with triangular slots is the very first, pre-WWII Tech, which is more aggressive than post-War Techs. (The thick handle was available on post-War models, also.) I would put this razor aside, give your neck a day or two to heal, and try one of the other razors.

The Blue Tip Super Speed will be very mild, similar to post-War Techs. The Red Tip will be closer to your Merkur, perhaps a bit more aggressive, but I don't think it will bite you.

The GEM Micromatic, from what I understand, will be very aggressive - more so than any of the other razors named here.

Take a close look at your new razors and make sure that the safety bars aren't bent, that the blade gap is even on both sides. If a safety bar is bent, it could cause a razor to bite.

Good luck and no more blood!

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
+1. I didn't like the triangle slot Tech. Too aggressive for me. I got a later Tech and I love that one!

0 54
 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
It could just be that the blades don't work so well in the Tech. Also, your skin might not get on very well it that particular razor. You might want to try another blade in it to see.
I know I have never enjoyed those razors.
Best of luck.

82 21,056
 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
it might be the combination blade/tech but I doubt it. I have many Fat Handle Techs and have not once had a problem. Check to see if the guards are dead straight. Sometimes you can pick up a Tech that has the wrong cap screwed onto the plate and that can be an issue. Have you another to compare it with? I had a similar issue with one once and discovered it had the wrong cap. It was just plain dangerous.

For my money, the British Fat Handle Techs are simply better and provide a heftier, better shave; smooth and very decently close.

I have a couple of USA triangle plated Tech and I think they're ok, but not aggressive really.

My best Fat Handle is my frankentech; all Tech spares assembled; looks a bit worrying but it provides a great shave. Just VERY lucky in this instance.

Rule of thumb: light touch. Always. Always.

0 1,730
 05-02-2014, 09:41 PM
User Info
Light touch and proper angle.
As I recall, Merkur heads bend the blade more than others.
The 30 degree angle is nonsense for most part IMO because there are other factors such as skin elasticity or direction of hair growth.

Like with any other razor, start with the blade almost flat against the skin.
That would cut nothing.
Slowly increase the angle until it starts to cut hair.
If you go much beyond that point, you would be scraping, not shaving, and end up with irritation and everything you just outlined.
That principle is especially important with straight razors, where in addition to a bad shave, you also wreck the edge quickly.

Some blade/razor combinations are more forgiving to angle errors than others.

I have that razor, it is not particularly aggressive, check if it the safety comb is not dented.

6 808
 05-03-2014, 02:51 AM
User Info
Thanks for the help, all. The razor was purchased in "crudded-up" condition, and all of the parts exhibited similar type/amount of build up, which would indicate that the razor had been in this configuration of parts for some time. In fact, there were matching rust stains on the inner surfaces of the head, which I'd think was indicative of the razor most likely being original.

I will try it again with a different blade (perhaps an Astra or Derby) and pay more attention to angle and see if I can get this figured out.

0 18
 05-03-2014, 05:39 AM
User Info
(05-03-2014, 02:51 AM)59Bassman Wrote: Thanks for the help, all. The razor was purchased in "crudded-up" condition, and all of the parts exhibited similar type/amount of build up, which would indicate that the razor had been in this configuration of parts for some time. In fact, there were matching rust stains on the inner surfaces of the head, which I'd think was indicative of the razor most likely being original.

I will try it again with a different blade (perhaps an Astra or Derby) and pay more attention to angle and see if I can get this figured out.

Take a look an make sure the base plate is level to the eye because a slight warping can affect the exposure of the blade and make sure there are no dings around the guard area as well.

1 2,827