05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
User Info
Just got the Sartorial from Penhaligon.
Great stuff.

Now I want more.

But I know for a fact that Sartorial belongs to the new formulation, a pretty great formulation.

I want Blenheims Bouquet.
But since it has been through two formulations, and there is no way to be sure how to get the new one, which is grerat, and not the second newest, whish is cr_ap - what do I do ?

I don't want to chance it.
I want the newest formulation.
Can someone point me to a soluation to get this ?

Thanks Smile

24 5,969
 05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I believe the easiest way to tell is that the puck itself will have Blenheim Bouquet stamped into it and the previous, less than stellar puck, had the name Penhaligan. While you are at it grab some Floris soap, the Elite is pretty good stuff (grab the version in the blue box as it is the most recent formulation).

145 2,752
 05-02-2014, 10:13 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
By direct from Penhaligons but do NOT get the refill. You have to buy the £36 soap in a bowl.

Paul

1 220
 05-03-2014, 01:01 AM
User Info
(05-02-2014, 10:13 PM)P.B Wrote: By direct from Penhaligons but do NOT get the refill. You have to buy the £36 soap in a bowl.

Paul

+1 The refill is still the previous formulation. Buying the wooden bowl from Pen's direct is the only way to guarantee the same formulation as the Sartorial.

31 5,293
 05-03-2014, 02:08 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
A friend just bought the refill... I'm gonna have to break the bad news to him.

26 4,928
 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM
User Info
But unfortunately I read somewhere here on the forum that a guy had bought the BB soap in the bowl and still got the bad reformulation, and not the new one. He bought it directly from the Penhaligon UK store online.

Just trying to make sure I don't waste £36 + the £15 in shupping.
The good stuff is that the BB soap currently is sold out at the Penhaligons online store, so maybe they ran out of the old stock.
I hope when they restock, they will get the newest reformulation Smile

24 5,969
 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
(05-03-2014, 10:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: But unfortunately I read somewhere here on the forum that a guy had bought the BB soap in the bowl and still got the bad reformulation, and not the new one. He bought it directly from the Penhaligon UK store online.

I don't remember reading that - you may be confusing my post where I bought the refill direct and it was the old formulation (didn't even smell that great!)

1 220
 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
(05-03-2014, 11:22 PM)P.B Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 10:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: But unfortunately I read somewhere here on the forum that a guy had bought the BB soap in the bowl and still got the bad reformulation, and not the new one. He bought it directly from the Penhaligon UK store online.

I don't remember reading that - you may be confusing my post where I bought the refill direct and it was the old formulation (didn't even smell that great!)

But as I just wrote, I remember reading it Wink
Wheter is was here or on another shaving forum, I can't remember.

24 5,969
 05-05-2014, 04:01 AM
User Info
The English Shaving Company claim to have the latest formulation:

http://theenglishshavingcompany.com/prod...ill,-100g/

0 57
 05-05-2014, 04:26 AM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 04:01 AM)Flash G Wrote: The English Shaving Company claim to have the latest formulation:

http://theenglishshavingcompany.com/prod...ill,-100g/

That's interesting. A few months ago I bought the BB soap in the bowl from them for another member, but that is now out of stock.
I'm curious as to why they can sell the new formulation as a refill only, and supposedly in the appropriate packaging, yet Penhaligon's can't.
I would definitely check directly with them before placing any order to avoid disappointment.

31 5,293
 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm not fond of the Sartorial scent, FWIW.
To me it smells like they discovered "essence of rust" and bottled it.

So, why they call this a fougere is entirely beyond my comprehension. (Not that I care if its a fougere or not, but they just shouldn't be calling it such, since it has no resemblance to any other fougere in the world.)

As for performance, I think it is getting quite a bit of extra leeway, maybe because people are just excited to see a Pen's puck actually produce lather. Just because something makes lather or lots of lather or is easy to lather doesn't mean it is good lather (a good performer). I think the performance is average at best, and definitely not worth a premium pricetag on a performance standpoint.

YMMV and this is just one man's opinion.

But remember, this is a company who has known (for years) that they have bad formulations out in the market, and kept them on the shelves to this day without a recall. Is this a company you want to throw your money at, every time they have something new? I think we need to forget that they had a wonderful tallow puck years ago and judge them for current merits, which , IMO, is very minimal.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm not pleased with Penhaligon's as a company and I'm not entirely excited with their newest formulation (... THREE attempts removed from the tallow version, btw).

59 2,824
 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 08:26 AM)Nero Wrote: I'm not fond of the Sartorial scent, FWIW.
To me it smells like they discovered "essence of rust" and bottled it.

So, why they call this a fougere is entirely beyond my comprehension. (Not that I care if its a fougere or not, but they just shouldn't be calling it such, since it has no resemblance to any other fougere in the world.)

As for performance, I think it is getting quite a bit of extra leeway, maybe because people are just excited to see a Pen's puck actually produce lather. Just because something makes lather or lots of lather or is easy to lather doesn't mean it is good lather (a good performer). I think the performance is average at best, and definitely not worth a premium pricetag on a performance standpoint.

YMMV and this is just one man's opinion.

But remember, this is a company who has known (for years) that they have bad formulations out in the market, and kept them on the shelves to this day without a recall. Is this a company you want to throw your money at, every time they have something new? I think we need to forget that they had a wonderful tallow puck years ago and judge them for current merits, which , IMO, is very minimal.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm not pleased with Penhaligon's as a company and I'm not entirely excited with their newest formulation (... THREE attempts removed from the tallow version, btw).

I see your point of view and kind of agree.
I'm still new to the shaving soap world having only used creams and croaps until summer 2013, where Martin de Candre stole my heart ;-)

But when I enter into something I usually embrace it totally and go all in.
I enjoy Sartorial as a fragrance quite a bit, and to my nose this is one if the better made aromatic Fougére's out there. I get a scent of an old tailors shop out if it.

Made by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour, an advanced nose and perfumer, Sartorial is among the 3 Penhaligons fragrances I feel are worth owning.

Regarding the Sartorial soap, I enjoyed the thickness and protective lather, and it gave me a splendid shave with my Feather Artist Club SS straight razor.

It may not be the best soap, but I certainly enjoyed it.

24 5,969
 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I want to explain myself, to put my above post into perspective.

I live in a very dry climate (20-30% relative humidity)
I have sensitive skin.
I have thick Italian whiskers that are closely populated on my face (thick hair and dense growth).
I want a BBS every single day, and to do this I go WTG, XTG, and 2x ATG.
I want a nice complexion of my skin, meaning evenly toned with no redness or visual inconsistencies, every single day.

Some of these issues might not impact you… and you might not have the same goal.

For me to achieve those goals under my specific circumstances, I have found (after much depletion of my disposable income Biggrin, trying dozens and dozens of products) that there are not many products on the market that allow me to comfortably go XTG… let alone 2x ATG.

Most of the products that allow me to achieve my goals under my circumstances, unfortunately Dodgy, come from the luxury niche of the market… but since they work (for me) I feel they justify their pricetag. The lather produced FULLY protects my skin during the shave and leaves it nice and soft and irritation-free, and looking great even without a post-shave product.

I, IMHO, just don't get the sense that the new Pen's formulation justifies the tag… based on the above. As for the scent in BLenheim Bouquet, I think the cream is much more true to the EdT, because the soap is more powdery and light. In the cream, the scent still has the high notes (citrus and evergreen) that make the fragrance really sparkle, but I feel those notes are very muted in the soap.

So, in the end, I want to say sorry because I realize I likely offended a few folks. I understand that we are all different and have different skin types and different goals and live in different climates and other factors mentioned or not mentioned… which all affect our preferences and thresholds for product ranking/selection.

And, just to show I am not totally anti-Penhaligon's, I chose to shave with my Blenheim Bouquet cream today, and it does do a fine job. No cuts, no irritation. I was able to do my 4 passes… I have a BBS and I'm comfortable.

Where does this leave everything? I guess I need to be a little more sensitive to YMMV Blush
My heart is in the right spot when I write (I want to save someone else in a dry climate with sensitive skin and a thick beard from suffering), but I need to find a way to make my point more gently.

Sincerely

59 2,824
 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Well, I just recently bought the Sartorial (shave with it once), and I'm considerably happy with it. IMO it's only weak spot is the glide, which I found to be good, but not great. On the other hand, the post-shave hydration was excellent, one of the best I've tried thus far. Still, as I said, I've only lathered it once, and so it's definitely a little earlier for conclusions.

I've tried the Pen's creams and found them to be good, but far from great, and definitely not worthy of the price tag.

Either way, considering how different our opinions are regarding SMN, I'm not even going to debate this one with you, Matt! I guess we definitely have different perspectives on what a good performance of a shaving product actually is. Tongue

26 4,928
 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Matt, I found your comments on the sartorial soap scent helpful. I also scratched my head when they classified the scent as a fougere (which supposedly should be evocative of the forest, even if in a very general way) then went on to describe it as reminiscent of a tailor shop (which I imagine should smell...fabric-y?)

"Essence of rust", "metallic". Maybe reminiscent of the taste of blood in your mouth?

17 439
 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-05-2014, 02:27 PM)Lando Wrote: Matt, I found your comments on the sartorial soap scent helpful. I also scratched my head when they classified the scent as a fougere (which supposedly should be evocative of the forest, even if in a very general way) then went on to describe it as reminiscent of a tailor shop (which I imagine should smell...fabric-y?)

"Essence of rust", "metallic". Maybe reminiscent of the taste of blood in your mouth?

Yes, they mention Metallic Effect as one of the notes, which is supposed to evoke memory of the scissors in the tailor shop or whatever. That's pretty much all I smell over a really sweet base (beeswax).
Don't get me wrong, it smells like a tailor shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05-05-2014, 02:23 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Well, I just recently bought the Sartorial (shave with it once), and I'm considerably happy with it. IMO it's only weak spot is the glide, which I found to be good, but not great. On the other hand, the post-shave hydration was excellent, one of the best I've tried thus far. Still, as I said, I've only lathered it once, and so it's definitely a little earlier for conclusions.

I've tried the Pen's creams and found them to be good, but far from great, and definitely not worthy of the price tag.

Either way, considering how different our opinions are regarding SMN, I'm not even going to debate this one with you, Matt! I guess we definitely have different perspectives on what a good performance of a shaving product actually is. Tongue

Yes, it is one of those YMMV things, David!
I imagine the humidity is a bit different on the ocean where you are than in the desert where I am, though, FWIW.
When I used to live in the Great Lakes region where humidity was 60% or higher, I never had these issues. When I moved to the desert, I realized 85% of my products didn't work any more.
I'm still completely shocked if you have tried the SMN again and got a poor shave with it. Or I think your issue was with the lather amount.
For the Penhaligon's BB cream, it is a good performer for me. But I didn't mean to say it was a top performer. It's not in my top 10 performers. But it gets the job done for me with no irritation. For a cream, that feat is quite remarkable. It will never come close to the performance of AoS creams, for me, though, which give me a guaranteed comfortable shave with no irritation and great complexion and no dryness, even in the desert.

59 2,824
 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(05-05-2014, 02:45 PM)Nero Wrote:
(05-05-2014, 02:27 PM)Lando Wrote: Matt, I found your comments on the sartorial soap scent helpful. I also scratched my head when they classified the scent as a fougere (which supposedly should be evocative of the forest, even if in a very general way) then went on to describe it as reminiscent of a tailor shop (which I imagine should smell...fabric-y?)

Yes, they mention Metallic Effect as one of the notes, which is supposed to evoke memory of the scissors in the tailor shop or whatever. That's pretty much all I smell over a really sweet base (beeswax).
Don't get me wrong, it smells like a tailor shop.

(05-05-2014, 02:23 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Well, I just recently bought the Sartorial (shave with it once), and I'm considerably happy with it. IMO it's only weak spot is the glide, which I found to be good, but not great. On the other hand, the post-shave hydration was excellent, one of the best I've tried thus far. Still, as I said, I've only lathered it once, and so it's definitely a little earlier for conclusions.

I'm still completely shocked if you have tried the SMN again and got a poor shave with it. Or I think your issue was with the lather amount.

I haven't had a chance to use it again, but it's on my small rotation, so I will use it again soon.
Heck, I'll use it tomorrow! Smile

26 4,928
 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
[quote='TheMonk' pid='386260'
I haven't had a chance to use it again, but it's on my small rotation, so I will use it again soon.
Heck, I'll use it tomorrow! :smile:
[/quote]

Awesome, I really hope you find it better than previously.
Just a few points to consider:
1. Don't worry about an explosive lather. The lather is super dense and SILKY. I could probably shave my entire cheek with the lather on the tip of one finger finger.
2. Kinda contrary to #1, but my lather has gotten bigger with more usage. Not better, just bigger. It was alway great for me performance-wise. But I think it is exploding a little more now that the top layer is gone or because of added water into the container from the brush.

59 2,824
 02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
[Image: 120100447da27a28c8f21b86124f01e0.jpg]

Recently I bought Sartorial, the full monty.
I do agree with the statements above that there are soaps providing better glide, but post shave skin feeling is pretty good.
The after shave balm is very fine, the shave and a. s. combined are much to my liking, as is the edp.

My preferred salesman here told me Sartorial is discontinued and no longer available at brick & mortar stores.
It still is widely available at internet stores, but who really loves this scent might be better advised to buy some more ...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 84
 02-16-2017, 07:07 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
(02-14-2017, 08:44 AM)apogee. Wrote: [Image: 120100447da27a28c8f21b86124f01e0.jpg]

Recently I bought Sartorial, the full monty.
I do agree with the statements above that there are soaps providing better glide, but post shave skin feeling is pretty good.
The after shave balm is very fine, the shave and a. s. combined are much to my liking, as is the edp.

My preferred salesman here told me Sartorial is discontinued and no longer available at brick & mortar stores.
It still is widely available at internet stores, but who really loves this scent might be better advised to buy some more ...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Great pic

17 439