05-02-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
I've had this piece for some time now and wondered what to do with it. The orig. scales were shot and beyond repair.
I could easily make up some horn scales. Wood, no problem but not quite right.
Micarta or G10,,, no way.
So I decided to try and mimic the originals. Why not?
I grabbed some blanks of horn and selected the sections I liked.
Flattened them , traced the originals on to the slabs and cut them out.
I used a caliper to measure the thickness of the scales to duplicate the originals and copied the radius of them as well.
I then used a disc grinder to lay in the long lines of " ribs" and did this freehand.
Once I had them in place it was a matter of refining the channel left by the grinder.
I used a combination of jewelers files, single edge razor blades and finally an old straight razor wrapped with sandpaper to refine the lines and create the ribs on the scales.
At the wedge end the lines flare out so I created this detail as well.
Once all the sanding was done I used a progression of compounds on my buffer to bring it to the final shine
The original pins and washers were brass and steel washers.
I had to make mini SS washers and used brass pins to mimic them.
As to the blade I refrained from mirror polishing it. A blade this old wouldn't have been polished this way and there was still evidence of grind marks etc. so I kept them, cleaned the blade and kept it with a sanded finish. I did polish the spine but that was it.
It's not a perfect copy seeing it with the magnification of the camera, but in hand it really looks and feels very nice. It took a hone with an edge I can't wait to try.
It may not please everyone but it makes me happy. And as they say if you please yourself you have pleased at least one person.

[Image: wXGVk13.jpg]

[Image: yC0zN8A.jpg]

[Image: RiARD7Z.jpg]

[Image: sdsPYCr.jpg]

[Image: 1k7GMyP.jpg]

[Image: BCXr9Pq.jpg]

[Image: JeWwitu.jpg]

[Image: PYexxJq.jpg]

The rest of the pics.

[Image: qh0vMa1.jpg]

[Image: ZAgpkzA.jpg]

[Image: etGck3J.jpg]

[Image: AtKt66W.jpg]

[Image: OXeJceY.jpg]

[Image: kLMK3oS.jpg]

0 777
 05-03-2014, 05:15 AM
User Info
Very sympathetically done.Smile

11 1,921
 05-03-2014, 05:56 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Very nice. I love how you maintained , i guess I would call it the integrity of the razor. I liken this to a period correct car restoration in a sense. No hot rodding, just restore it beautifully and do it justice. Let us know how it shaves!

9 429
 05-03-2014, 06:15 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
As always, a beautiful restoration, maintaining the heritage of this fine razor.

102 18,552
 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM
User Info
Thanks guys. That was my goal. A bit more effort than just band sawing some Micarta and slapping them on but this just seemed worth it to me.
Might be a character flaw but I never seem willing to take the easy way out. I like banging my head against a wall!

0 777
 05-03-2014, 07:06 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Great detailing...as always!
~Richard

8 1,194
 05-03-2014, 05:04 PM
User Info
(05-03-2014, 05:56 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: Very nice. I love how you maintained , i guess I would call it the integrity of the razor. I liken this to a period correct car restoration in a sense. No hot rodding, just restore it beautifully and do it justice. Let us know how it shaves!

Shaved with it tonight!
You want to know how it went! Well not going to tell you because if I did you'd run out and by one before I had the chance to corner the market on them.
Seriously. It was light , quick and oh so maneuverable with that funky shaped blade.
Why we ever went to the shape we have now is beyond me. It's so forgiving . Your face ain't flat so why should a razor be? Chances of nicks from something like a square point, always looking for a place to dig in, is gone. This made shaving with a straight child's play.
Considering this was made before Lincoln was even born , lasted through the Civil War and there I stood getting a spectacular shave just blows me away.

0 777
 05-03-2014, 06:02 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
A beautiful restoration. Thanks so much for demonstrating the restoration process. I wish that I could sit in your shop and observe a true craftsman at work.

38 5,032